Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2019, 04:38 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

I have to say that I think it’s extremely telling when I see the potential for increased traffic used as a reason for not wanting growth. Have we really entered the stage where we’ve acknowledged little to no growth and are attempting to justify it? Or is the capitalist society so evil and we want to take them down, AOC style?

States need growth - the right kind of growth - to flourish. While CT does have some positive things going on, the fact still remains that there is a net migration of high income people out of it’s borders. Other neighboring states are experiencing the same, but I’m not certain their financial situation is as dire as it is in CT. They can absorb it; CT cannot.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 04-20-2019 at 04:46 AM..

Old 04-20-2019, 04:40 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You don’t seem to get it. The amount of money the current gas tax generates is likely going down over the next 30 years. Inflation over that time will further erode what the current gas tax money will buy. Your choice is basically to do nothing so there is no fifth choice. Your choice however will just doom our transportation system to further (and likely accelerate) neglect and deterioration.

What you propose in cutting costs should be done but the savings should be used to cut other taxes and pay off our debts. That is a long term sustainable solution. But again that is a separate issue. Jay
This is very true. The only other option would be to raise gas tax. And in the ever increasing time of solar/electric being used as alternative means, I’m not so sure that’s sustainable. Don’t get me wrong - I don’t want to see tolls on CT’s roads, but the current gas tax won’t have the same benefit 25 years down the road.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:49 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I'd have no issue if taxes were cut concurrently via other cuts, as IMO any tax increase should be met with such concurrent tax cuts elsewhere, to keep total resident tax collections flat.

Separate issue = kick can down road. That should be met with a sound "no". If state dealt with that issue now, and any tax hike is met with equal cut, I am ok with that. But not a "we will look to cut later".
So because the Governor and the Legislature can’t agree on cuts, everything has to stop??? How does that make any sense? That solves nothing. In the meantime our roads bridges and transportation network will continue to deteriorate. Jay

Old 04-20-2019, 08:51 AM

413 posts, read 317,391 times
Quote:
That is a completely separate issue. I have never said I did not support cutting spending BUT there is a significant problem with transportation funding that must be addressed.

We have four choices: do nothing and watch our transportation network deteriorate further for lack of funding; borrow more money as the Republicans have proposed putting our state in deeper debt with no way to pay for it; increase the gas tax like other states are doing and place the full burden of transportation funding on Connecticut residents; or implement tolls and finally get out of state drivers to pay their fair share. I pick the last.

Your turn. Jay

You left out one of the most important factors. Connecticut has to cut regulations on business. The state burdens business with all kinds of red tape, much of it symbolic environmental nonsense that protects nothing but adds time and costs to expanding businesses.

Connecticut has been a bottom ten state for years on the Forbes State Small Business Regulation Index. The only reason Connecticut isn't last is because "quality of life" is part of the scale. Check this link. https://www.forbes.com/best-states-f...t/#tab:overall

Connecticut's carbon emission code -which has zero effect on anything- is one of the most draconian the nation. Connecticut could cease to exist or it could triple it's carbon footprint, neither would have any impact on global climate, it is just too small to make any difference. But it hurts every business in the state that wants to manufacture anything. Symbolic nonsense with bad economic impacts.

Much of the Trump economic boom can be attributed to his taking a hatchet to useless regulations. This leads to growth and growth leads to tax revenue.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:36 AM

898 posts, read 597,716 times
I can't find work here. Found my significant other at least 2 out of state jobs, one which is a transfer. One financial event and we are gone.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:09 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I can't find work here. Found my significant other at least 2 out of state jobs, one which is a transfer. One financial event and we are gone.

Curious, what states and industry for your so?

Old 04-20-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
So because the Governor and the Legislature can’t agree on cuts, everything has to stop???
They stay at the table until they both compromise. Like adults.

They do not simply add spending and add taxes. That is why financially we are a mess.

That is why our Business Rating is near the bottom nationally.

Spend, spend, spend, tax, tax, tax is disaster,

Old 04-20-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post

Much of the Trump economic boom can be attributed to his taking a hatchet to useless regulations. This leads to growth and growth leads to tax revenue.
Amen.

Freedom from empty symbolic regs is one of the best ways to drive business growth.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:50 PM

413 posts, read 317,391 times
Democrats pushing more high earners toward the border with this one. At what point does this amount of self inflicted pain become mental illness?

Democratic legislators are pushing for a 2 percent surcharge on investment income, which would push the top rate for the state income tax to 8.99 percent for the state’s biggest earners. State statistics show that, on a 10-year average, about 67 percent of all capital gains in Connecticut are paid by fewer than 1 percent of tax filers.

Here's an idea, CUT SPENDING.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:26 AM

266 posts, read 245,455 times
Opinion piece but accurate:

https://ctmirror.org/category/ct-vie...g-connecticut/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut