Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 07:33 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Source? Jay

Try Google on "U6 unemployment rate by state". The first hit is the BLS data.
https://www.bls.gov/lau/stalt.htm

Connecticut is the poster child for income and wealth stratification which is why the C-D board is so split between "It's a basket case" and "I'm doing fine". The regionally high U6 number is one way of looking at it.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:03 PM

34,019 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You're just looking at the headline U3 number. Connecticut has a very bad U6. 8.9%. Massachusetts is 7%. Rhode Island is 7.4%. New Jersey is 7.7%. New York is 8.1%. New Hampshire and Vermont are in the 5's. It's another way of measuring the whole income and wealth stratification problem. The bottom half in Connecticut are doing worse than other states in the region.
It is nice to see another poster familiar with the U6 number. 8.9% is horrible considering how well the country is doing.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It is nice to see another poster familiar with the U6 number. 8.9% is horrible considering how well the country is doing.

It's a tough place to not have 21st century job skills. I imagine lower Fairfield County has a labor shortage of unskilled/semi-skilled due to housing costs and the lousy transportation infrastructure. The rest of the state, not so much. Not all that different from the Rust Belt. Outside the 495 belt & Cape Cod which is always struggling to find 6 month seasonal workers, Massachusetts has the same basic issue.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:12 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Wonder what decade Ct will experience the recovery in?
CT did well when NYC and large cities were a dump which made suburbs thrive. It’s been the opposite and big cities are doing very well because that’s what many young workers want.

My guess is the 2030’s if it stays this way. Baby boomers will start to dwindle and so will their retirement benefits which takes up a massive chunk of the budget. Pension and public sector benefits need an overhaul. Public sector workers don’t want that, and I don’t blame them.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:10 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
CT did well when NYC and large cities were a dump which made suburbs thrive. It’s been the opposite and big cities are doing very well because that’s what many young workers want.

When the yuppies/millennials have kids they will move out to the suburbs. There are thousands if not ten's of thousands of affordable single family homes in CT's cities. The young people aren't buying them.

The demographics of city vs suburbs wont change 10 years from now or even 100 years from now unless there is some major shift in societal norms and socioeconomic status.

The one wild card which really doesn't really exist in CT any more is catholic schools. Lots of families who lived and owned houses in the cities sent their kids to catholic schools at least for high school. About half my friends went to catholic high school in the 80's-90's. Those schools are closed now.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:40 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
When the yuppies/millennials have kids they will move out to the suburbs. There are thousands if not ten's of thousands of affordable single family homes in CT's cities. The young people aren't buying them.

The demographics of city vs suburbs wont change 10 years from now or even 100 years from now unless there is some major shift in societal norms and socioeconomic status.

The one wild card which really doesn't really exist in CT any more is catholic schools. Lots of families who lived and owned houses in the cities sent their kids to catholic schools at least for high school. About half my friends went to catholic high school in the 80's-90's. Those schools are closed now.
There are still many Catholic schools in our state. Not sure why you think otherwise. Some have been consolidated but many still exist. Jay

Old 04-12-2019, 05:01 AM

898 posts, read 597,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There are still many Catholic schools in our state. Not sure why you think otherwise. Some have been consolidated but many still exist. Jay

In the 70's New Britain had at least 6 Catholic middle schools and two Catholic high schools. Now it's down to a single K-8 school that the local Polish keep running.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

They've already changed and for exactly those societal norm and socioeconomic status reasons. Low birth rates among white collar professionals. The massive income stratification issue. Huge student loan debt. My news feed has endless "Boomers, Millenials don't want to buy your house" clickbait stories.

The median house in Connecticut costs $270K and has a $5,500 property tax bill Personally, I don't consider a house with a $5,000+ property tax bill on the state's $73K median household income "affordable". If you don't have the 20% down as a first time buyer, the mortgage, PMI, insurance, and taxes are up around 30% of your gross income. If you have school loans, I don't see how it's do-able.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:00 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The median house in Connecticut costs $270K and has a $5,500 property tax bill Personally, I don't consider a house with a $5,000+ property tax bill on the state's $73K median household income "affordable". If you don't have the 20% down as a first time buyer, the mortgage, PMI, insurance, and taxes are up around 30% of your gross income. If you have school loans, I don't see how it's do-able.
Yeah, agreed, and that’s precisely why CT is having issues retaining its population.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:12 AM

20,101 posts, read 9,008,929 times
Actually all Obama did with the recession is follow steps Bush put in place before he left office, including extending the Bush tax cuts. Well there was one idea that was Obama's alone. Cash for Clunkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut