Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2019, 01:59 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Datto starting here and becoming a major industry player worldwide isn't good news??
It is.

Now how about we win a corp relo, coming from the Southeast once? Win a new Stanley Black & Decker 500 employee plant? Have a Baretta firearms relocate to us, instead of away from us? Retain the soon to be fleeing Diageo jobs? Retain a far greater chunk of UBS jobs (Nashville now has close to 1,500)?

Old 05-25-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Datto is a great company and I know several people who work there. But Bob wasn’t talking about companies that have evolved here since 2007 (I think when Datto was founded). He’s talking about actively recruiting, and successfully landing, a major corporation within the state’s borders. That’s is how it’s done in 2019 and unfortunately, CT’s governors haven’t been active in this regard.
Correct.

Getting Nissan hq from Ca (140k median base pay) was a 3 year Tn effort. Many cross country trips courting them. Prior corps who came helped immensely persuade them it would be a good move.

We instead pay tons of greenmail to retain stuff like hedge funds wanting new Ct offices from nearby Ct towns. Other states add to their corp list using money Ct spends on greenmail retention.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:04 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Mr. Stone's email to the other poster backed the other poster's position. I do like the fact he responded to both of you, but the replies were not consistent btw.

Lower cost areas keep their government costs under control. That is why they are cheaper. Ct chose to overcompensate theirs (total package with benefits = overcompensated, as our state workers would not obtain equal comp in the private sector given what they bring to the table). The overcompensation is shown well by the very small state employee voluntary attrition rate.
You seem to be confused or have missed something. Mr. Stone’s reply was to JGBigGteen’s specific question on the 2014 analysis he did for The Tax Foundation. His response to me, which included the link I posted to a more recent (2017) analysis, clearly states the analysis includes taxes. That second analysis ranks Connecticut No. 1 in disposable income. Even Mr. Stone commented that Connecticut is “quite rich” when you consider the higher cost of living.

To help you understand this, here is my exact email to Mr. Stone:

Mr. Stone - I see you are the author of an article entitled “New State-Level Price Data Shows Smaller State Real Income Differences” on The Tax Foundation’s website. We have been having a discussion on City-Data.com about whether high income in states with higher costs of living really have more disposable income when you consider all costs. Your analysis mentions federal taxes but the question has come up whether this includes state and local taxes. Can you clarify if it does and if not, why it was not included in your analysis? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jay

As you see I specifically ask about state and local taxes. This is Mr. Stone’s response which forwards the link to the more recent analysis AND that it includes taxes:

Jay,

Honestly, that map is years old. It did NOT include personal current taxes when I made it. However, the link below is to a new map I made just now using updated 2017 data, and it accounts for taxes.
https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/DkNFP/1/

As you can see, states like MA, CT, NH, and NJ are still quite rich with these adjustments, while states in the south are poorer. However, there are some interesting exceptions. For example, Texas and California are pretty similar. Wyoming is the second richest state of all. Most of the Great Plains is richer than the northeast. Tennessee and New York are quite similar. Oregon is as poor as Alabama or West Virginia. Hawaii is as poor as Mississippi.

Let me know anything else I can do.

-Lyman

I am not sure how much clearer this can be. Jay

Old 05-25-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Not only that, but people here have a sense of pride for their state that was sorely lacking in CT. .
Understandably.

you are now in an area thriving in terms of both GDP and Economic Growth. Ct lacks Economic Growth, so what is there to be excited or prideful about, during decades of stagnation? That would be like making a great pay in say 1999, but getting no raise 20 straight years.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 05-25-2019 at 02:29 PM..

Old 05-25-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
IMO Ct residents once did show pride decades back, but the reality is it takes good economic news events to fuel it. I can't remember the last 500 employee or larger corp to relocate to Ct from a truly distant state, excluding neighbors.

I still recall the excitement in Tn when we landed hqs like LP and Nissan from California. It was the main conversation at work for days. One of our execs happened to be at breakfast that day with business leaders with gov as speaker, who quipped "You may want to watch the afternoon press conference today"! He couldn't admit who it was about, but it was a well leaked secret. The excitement was intense. We played it at work in our break rooms.

We need a good MAJOR economic news event in Ct , not from a long-term Ct corp getting a contract, not from a NYC corp coming, but either an organic win, or a transplant from a state far away, or a corp insourcing stuff from Asia. And not just an Amazon DC. Every state gets those mediocre paying jobs

I do not see it happening. Hence, the defeated attitude amongst those of us who read the Business section first. I'd relish surprising good news events of the type I mentioned above.
Your memory is short. Henkel moved 425 employees from Arizona in 2017 with plans to hire an additional 75 employees.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/bus...s-11950419.php

There is also Infosys bringing 1,000 jobs to Hartford.

https://www.infosys.com/newsroom/pre...on-hub-ct.aspx

And what’s wrong with Chinese company Idealomics bringing 330 jobs to West Hartford?

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...rtford-fintech

I am not sure why you would negate companies moving here from New York or companies based here expanding. Charter Communications is building a new 777,000 square foot corporate headquarters in Stamford. Indeed is adding 500 more jobs. Two entertainment companies are moving here with 450 jobs.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/loc...y-13754389.php

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/bus...s-13439604.php

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...525-story.html

I will also remind you of major expansions here by Pratt & Whitney, UTC Research, Coca Cola Bottling, Electric Boat and others. Are all these mediocre jobs? Jay

Old 05-25-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Not only that, but people here have a sense of pride for their state that was sorely lacking in CT. In all my years in CT, nobody ever seemed happy to call it home. I was, and do miss it for many reasons.

I think the media is a big driver of this.

Quote:
Understandably.

you are now in an area thriving in terms of both GDP and Economic Growth. Ct lacks Economic Growth, so what is there to be excited or prideful about, during decades of stagnation? That would be like making a great pay in say 1999, but getting no raise 20 straight years.
There is a lot of pride in our state but there seems to be a need for some here to negate that pride when it is expressed. I got to wonder why? Jay

Old 05-25-2019, 03:29 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There is a lot of pride in our state but there seems to be a need for some here to negate that pride when it is expressed. I got to wonder why? Jay
I don’t see an abundance of CT pride in person, and especially not on this forum. What you may view as pride is certainly anything but, IMO.

That needs to change. As Bob noted, if CT caught an economic break and it’s politicians became reasonable, I think you’d start to see a trend in the other direction. It’s just been bad publicity after bad publicity for the state and it drags people down. That’s why we’re seeing what some may call a slow exodus.

Again, the media is not our friend.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:08 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
I'm almost certain CT is the state shape that gets tattooed most... I've never seen a MA, GA, IL, NC, or CA tatt haha.

Maybe Texas... but still...

Old 05-25-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:

I am not sure why you would negate companies moving here from New York or companies based here expanding.
I value long distance moves, because its so easy to do the Ct-NY shuffle we lose the same amount to NY. Diageo is moving, remember. In addition, a Westchester County or midtown to Stamford move means no new Ct jobs, employees relo. Cross country relo rates are usually 40%. 60% locally hired.

I did forget Henkel, although it is under the 500+ announcements which are so invaluable. I also doubt based on knowing folks there, the 425 has been or will be realized, as they are deliberately understaffing to some degree (unrelated to Ct).

Old 05-25-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I don’t see an abundance of CT pride in person, and especially not on this forum. What you may view as pride is certainly anything but, IMO.

That needs to change. As Bob noted, if CT caught an economic break and it’s politicians became reasonable, I think you’d start to see a trend in the other direction. It’s just been bad publicity after bad publicity for the state and it drags people down. That’s why we’re seeing what some may call a slow exodus.

Again, the media is not our friend.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut