Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 11:19 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Microsoft, Apple and HP do not have HQs in Texas. Redmond, WA and Silicon Valley respectively.
On the other hand, Plano, Tx will now have Toyota and Franklin, Tn has Nissan hq. This is a global economy, and no one is exempt from dealing with that reality.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,547 times
I see the future of success for American workers in entrepreneurship. Back in my day if you went to college, apprenticeship through a vocation, or transitioned your military training into civilian terms, you would do fine in life. A woman would stay home with the kids, the man would work the same company for 30 years, retire with the wife, and live happily ever after. In today's world you can lose your job with a blink of an eye and 4 years of college doesn't guarantee anything other then going into debt. Our friends are going to send their daughter to a college down in NC at a tune of 40,000 per year. That's a 160,000 dollars, she could have bought her first starter home at that price.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I see the future of success for American workers in entrepreneurship. Back in my day if you went to college, apprenticeship through a vocation, or transitioned your military training into civilian terms, you would do fine in life. A woman would stay home with the kids, the man would work the same company for 30 years, retire with the wife, and live happily ever after. In today's world you can lose your job with a blink of an eye and 4 years of college doesn't guarantee anything other then going into debt. Our friends are going to send their daughter to a college down in NC at a tune of 40,000 per year. That's a 160,000 dollars, she could have bought her first starter home at that price.
If her grades are decent, and if family is NOT rich, she'll end up paying far less than half. My godson's Bachelor's and MBA cost him, at a school whose total tuition for both exceeded 200k, under 25k.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:38 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
Connecticut does NOT need to compete on quantity over quality. Connecticut can compete on durable products for longterm crafty families who care that what they buy last many generations long

Connecticut has the buyer demographic to compete on this. Family purchases.

Compete on quantity over quality is to turn CT into walmart parking lots and walgreenes and dunkin on every single corner

Old 05-07-2014, 03:44 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,300 times
As a former metlife employee it was sad to see dept after dept relocate to the South. We got lucky and were able to find a buyer for our home, at the same time I was offered two jobs, one with metlife in Charlotte (although for less $ if I decided to transfer) and a job with a different company in Florida. We chose the latter, great weather, affordability to build a new home, no state tax, etc. We left CT and are not looking back, only been here about a month and feels like home already. It is a shame what I going on with the economy there but some people continue to drink the koolaid and think all is well..Malloy included..watch he will get another term.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
As a former metlife employee it was sad to see dept after dept relocate to the South. We got lucky and were able to find a buyer for our home, at the same time I was offered two jobs, one with metlife in Charlotte (although for less $ if I decided to transfer) and a job with a different company in Florida. We chose the latter, great weather, affordability to build a new home, no state tax, etc. We left CT and are not looking back, only been here about a month and feels like home already. It is a shame what I going on with the economy there but some people continue to drink the koolaid and think all is well..Malloy included..watch he will get another term.
You won't be back up here ever most likely. You will get used to what things cost down there. Some things you won't get that we have up here like the distinct seasons and the natural parks and the rural town community. You will not be back to get some of it because costwise you will be less and less able to adjust to costs up here and eventually you will reach point of complaining what things cost down there. Enjoy the low prices. Soon you will feel the low wages but that'll take more time to set in since you haven't had too many pay days yet and are still living on net worth built in the land of high wages

Old 05-07-2014, 10:00 AM

Economy in Connecticut, measured by the I84 traffic congestion, suggests a lot of opportunity or else you wouldn't have much a-traffic

Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 AM

207 posts, read 272,907 times
Yeah no, thats called poor design

Old 05-07-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fish View Post
Yeah no, thats called poor design
Let's purposely ignore the traffic problem because then people will think there is crowding of highways due to population gravitating into the state and then people will interpret this as demand for new jobs and then jobs will relocate into Connecticut to jump on what they think is population expansion of the state....

Then this will cause real expansion and then we should really build roads

But this (ignoring traffic planning) will kill 2 birds with stone

1) will create illusion the state is getting more populated due to the promise of opportunities in the state, not due to poor management of roads of existing traffic

And

2) will save state spending of road maintenance and help balance the state budget without raising any more taxes

And have an I84 into downtown Hartford beeeeep beep beeeeeeeep tons of congested traffic to enter what's really an empty city full of people begging for spare change, with parking lots charging $15 flat rates to walk outside and do ....well....basically nothing

Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Economy in Connecticut, measured by the I84 traffic congestion, suggests a lot of opportunity or else you wouldn't have much a-traffic
Umm, what?

Malloy is that you? Is THIS how you rate the economy?

While Hartford is a major employment hub, 84 is also a very big highway that crosses many States. Just because someone is driving though 84 at 5pm on a Tuesday doesn't mean they work or even live in the State. As my MA and NY friends call CT "Pee stop between New York and Boston."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut