Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 07:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

Malloy on GE; “It would be nice to keep them here” | WTNH Connecticut News

Old 11-02-2015, 02:01 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Kaman is expanding its Bloomfield operations and is adding jobs. I am attaching a link to the Hartford Courant's general website which I think everyone can access. If not, I am sorry. Jay

Kaman Says It Will Hire In Bloomfield For K-MAX Work - Hartford Courant

Old 11-06-2015, 08:06 AM

Connecticut's latest Bond issue was give a AA rating by Fitch Ratings. AA is the second highest rating a state can get. Fitch notes improvement in the economy and changes Malloy is making to reduce taxes. Sounds promising. Jay

New Conn. debt rated

Old 11-06-2015, 08:16 AM

Here is an interesting article on the state's business tax incentive plan. Except for one or two misses (most noticeably RBS in Stamford), the program looks to have done what it is set up to do, encourage businesses to expand in Connecticut. I know a lot of people don't like this but unfortunately it is what has to be done since many states also offer incentives. Jay

Tax incentives may see changes with two panel studies underway - Connecticut Post

Old 11-06-2015, 11:22 AM

570 posts, read 476,995 times
Expand in CT? Looks more like a bribe to keep minimum amount of jobs to get tax deal. Not what I call expanding. UBS is basically consolidating into RBS's empty space. It is tax payer scam and more short term slaps on back for politicians not to mention kickbacks from developers. All this money spent and businesses leaving in droves.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Expand in CT? Looks more like a bribe to keep minimum amount of jobs to get tax deal. Not what I call expanding. UBS is basically consolidating into RBS's empty space. It is tax payer scam and more short term slaps on back for politicians not to mention kickbacks from developers. All this money spent and businesses leaving in droves.
Businesses aren't leaving in "droves". Our unemployment rate is going down. You can't do that if businesses are leaving. RBS and UBS are contracting their operations worldwide, not leaving Connecticut for other places. I don't like it either but this is what most states are doing these days to attract and keep business. Jay

Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Businesses aren't leaving in "droves". Our unemployment rate is going down. You can't do that if businesses are leaving. RBS and UBS are contracting their operations worldwide, not leaving Connecticut for other places. I don't like it either but this is what most states are doing these days to attract and keep business. Jay
The UE stat has been beaten to death. Unless one has been living under a rock since 2009, one knows that after one falls off the unemployment rolls (as a long term unemployed person) he/she is no longer counted as unemployed.

I maintain a "whazzup" correspondence with eight former colleagues and neighbors, all in their fifties. Five of the eight left the state for TX, Atlanta and Huntsville (a terrific engineering town). I'll call them the emigres.

Three out of the five emigres left without jobs in hand (ca. 2010-2012), calculating that they could live on the bone longer "there" than "here". The other two emigres got jobs before they left by virtue of using relatives' local addresses, and partaking of relative's shared accommodations while dashing down for interviews. They are - all five colleagues - now gainfully employed. Don't know about spouses, and didn't ask. Longest job search was six months. Shortest was ten weeks. All five say they are better off having left. These five colleagues would have fallen off CT UE stats long before they left, thereby improving the CT UE stats.

The three remaining colleagues are - in fact - members of the LT unemployed cohort, stuck in CT. Thankfully for them, their spouses maintain income continuity via state employment. They will be in a world of hurt if the spouses get fed up. They, too, have fallen off the CT UE stats, thereby improving CT's numbers.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:13 AM

684 posts, read 811,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
The UE stat has been beaten to death. Unless one has been living under a rock since 2009, one knows that after one falls off the unemployment rolls (as a long term unemployed person) he/she is no longer counted as unemployed.

I maintain a "whazzup" correspondence with eight former colleagues and neighbors, all in their fifties. Five of the eight left the state for TX, Atlanta and Huntsville (a terrific engineering town). I'll call them the emigres.

Three out of the five emigres left without jobs in hand (ca. 2010-2012), calculating that they could live on the bone longer "there" than "here". The other two emigres got jobs before they left by virtue of using relatives' local addresses, and partaking of relative's shared accommodations while dashing down for interviews. They are - all five colleagues - now gainfully employed. Don't know about spouses, and didn't ask. Longest job search was six months. Shortest was ten weeks. All five say they are better off having left. These five colleagues would have fallen off CT UE stats long before they left, thereby improving the CT UE stats.

The three remaining colleagues are - in fact - members of the LT unemployed cohort, stuck in CT. Thankfully for them, their spouses maintain income continuity via state employment. They will be in a world of hurt if the spouses get fed up. They, too, have fallen off the CT UE stats, thereby improving CT's numbers.
Cant talk about CT in this way, you will get a lot of butt hurt members on here and strike a nerve with them since they are too blind to the truth.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:29 AM

9,069 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post

Great post Jane. I see no need to embellish on your UE and the long term unemployed comments. All I would like to add is that if the number of (no longer counted) long term unemployed plus the number of retirees/retired plus the number of people who leave the state for other reasons is greater than the number of jobs lost then it is entirely possible to have a declining job base while exhibiting a great UE stat. This is even more probable in New England where the general population skews older.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:04 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Great post Jane. I see no need to embellish on your UE and the long term unemployed comments. All I would like to add is that if the number of (no longer counted) long term unemployed plus the number of retirees/retired plus the number of people who leave the state for other reasons is greater than the number of jobs lost then it is entirely possible to have a declining job base while exhibiting a great UE stat. This is even more probable in New England where the general population skews older.

States that attract younger migrating populations actually appear to have more unemployment, when it is just a case where their opportunities attract far more people.

NE has a big edge there, as it is a net loser in the state to state migration game. Its population is long-term stagnant. But that issue also places more pressure on existing taxpayers, as new folks are not increasing gov't funding.

Excellent post by jane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut