Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 02:31 PM

786 posts, read 823,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Access to the shoreline has some limited seasonal value, but many parts of Hartford County are less than an hour from beaches which are cleaner than those in FFC. Depending on your location it can be unsafe to swim in that water.
Link?

Old 04-05-2016, 02:33 PM

503 posts, read 530,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Link?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/40188430-post6.html

Old 04-05-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Westport is in the clear!

Old 04-05-2016, 03:00 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I know OT again, but I wouldn't swim in any part of the Sound West of Madison. I always end up sick. Now there are some nice shoreline area's from Greenwich to Stonington though, but not going in some of that water.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:32 PM

503 posts, read 530,410 times
I think if you want to support the economy in CT, outside of our broken political process, you have a few options:

1) start your own business
2) make every effort to support local business with your purchases
3) produce superior results at the CT-based company you work for to help it succeed and expand

I currently practice options #2 and 3.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:38 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I watched a video recently about the collapse of Detroit a lot of issues that plagued Detroit mirrored Conneticut. It was interesting it talked about the push from a Democratic reign to end poverty pushed for Welfare. The economy was driven on welfare and these big industries. The industries collapsed and all the sudden Detroit collapsed.
Well, Detroit put all their eggs in one basket by having their economy revolve solely around the automobile industry. And as far back as the late 1950s when they stopped making Packards and closed the plant, others soon followed. Things only got worse with the race riots and people packed up in droves for suburban towns, sometimes as far away as Oakland County. Then the oil embargos hit them hard (1973-74, 1979-80) and they never took the hint: When an oil crisis looms, stop making Godzilla mobiles!

Detroit IMO is beyond redemption. Civic leaders are boasting about sparkling new stadiums and arenas, leaving out the fact that what little job growth that's occuring is low-wage jobs in the service economy. But as long as their sports commentators and well-to-do fans are enjoying VIP treatment, I guess that's all that matters.

As for Connecticut, as long as this state is over-dependent on the public sector nothing will improve. I heard a story on NPR recently that confirmed something I feared which isn't good: Our state's largest employer is the state of Connecticut, and this is not sustainable. Without growth in the private sector, it's a grim financial outlook, and we can't tax our way out of this problem.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Well, Detroit put all their eggs in one basket by having their economy revolve solely around the automobile industry. And as far back as the late 1950s when they stopped making Packards and closed the plant, others soon followed. Things only got worse with the race riots and people packed up in droves for suburban towns, sometimes as far away as Oakland County. Then the oil embargos hit them hard (1973-74, 1979-80) and they never took the hint: When an oil crisis looms, stop making Godzilla mobiles!

Detroit IMO is beyond redemption. Civic leaders are boasting about sparkling new stadiums and arenas, leaving out the fact that what little job growth that's occuring is low-wage jobs in the service economy. But as long as their sports commentators and well-to-do fans are enjoying VIP treatment, I guess that's all that matters.

As for Connecticut, as long as this state is over-dependent on the public sector nothing will improve. I heard a story on NPR recently that confirmed something I feared which isn't good: Our state's largest employer is the state of Connecticut, and this is not sustainable. Without growth in the private sector, it's a grim financial outlook, and we can't tax our way out of this problem.
The likes of Bridgewater, among other hedge funds, help mightily.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:53 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Bridgewater hedge fund to get incentives to stay - Connecticut Post

Can't stand CT wasting money on companies to stay.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:09 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
several Bridgeport schools are bonded to close

Bridgeport poised to lose schools, staff and days off calendar - Connecticut Post

Old 04-05-2016, 05:37 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
No doubt the proximity to NYC is worth something (not what people are paying for it IMHO). Access to the shoreline has some limited seasonal value, but many parts of Hartford County are less than an hour from beaches which are cleaner than those in FFC. Depending on your location it can be unsafe to swim in that water.
Thankfully, Fairfield County is also less than an hour from those same waters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut