Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 06:20 AM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Retirement isn’t all about taxes. Access to culture, dining, outdoor activities, a robust international airport, etc. would be important to me.

Not saying there aren’t other places that fit the bill, many do, but many of the stereotypical retirement spots like in the south, Arizona, etc. just wouldn’t do it for me.
Maybe an educational trip is in order. Arizona has ALL those qualities and more and has them in spades including the robust international airport thats easily accessed from modern well designed 5 lane highways. The perfect snowbird spot, its not the desert wasteland of interior Southern Cal.
You don't know outdoor activities until you've hiked, mountain biked, camped, offroaded in Sedona. Book a creekside bungalow at L'Auberge.

Your'e right though its not all about taxes, or even the CT Economic climate, or healthcare. Sometimes retiress just want to get out of the northern weather cycle and into some new scenery, or they want to remain in the same 5 block radius. Nothing wrong with either.
What I love most about CT's state government is that it allows me to come and go as I please without any intervention or force.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:42 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
And that mindset is VERY common in Connecticut.
Oh, I know. Believe me. Not saying it doesn't exist elsewhere in other states, but I would argue that it is definitely more prevalent here. I'm grateful that both my parents are alive and in good health (hopefully for decades to come), I'm glad that they're happy, but there is NO way I would ever subject myself to such a banal existence. I'm sorry, but I need something a little more stimulating than having the highlight of your day being when you're excited to tell someone who from high school or your junior women's league you bumped into in the supermarket. I am by no means a young kid, but where I live, while not a city per se, provides WAY more amenities and points of interest than where I grew up and it's busy enough where it provides enough of an urban vibe. Like so many Connecticut towns, where I grew up was well-regarded for its vast open space and rural feel, but today, it looks and feels far less like a cutesy, New England-y town and has more in common with Orange County California and that's NOT a good thing.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:11 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Maybe an educational trip is in order. Arizona has ALL those qualities and more and has them in spades including the robust international airport thats easily accessed from modern well designed 5 lane highways. The perfect snowbird spot, its not the desert wasteland of interior Southern Cal.
You don't know outdoor activities until you've hiked, mountain biked, camped, offroaded in Sedona. Book a creekside bungalow at L'Auberge.

Your'e right though its not all about taxes, or even the CT Economic climate, or healthcare. Sometimes retiress just want to get out of the northern weather cycle and into some new scenery, or they want to remain in the same 5 block radius. Nothing wrong with either.
What I love most about CT's state government is that it allows me to come and go as I please without any intervention or force.
I have been to Arizona. Not my style. Food scene is decent. Outdoor activities are great, but skiing is far. Cultural amenities pale in comparison to tri state area.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:47 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I have been to Arizona. Not my style. Food scene is decent. Outdoor activities are great, but skiing is far. Cultural amenities pale in comparison to tri state area.
Not mine either. Too much ugly sprawl and quite frankly I don’t see a lot of beauty in the desert. Prefer greenery much more. The food choices I saw were mostly chain restaurants.Hooters was booming with families Sedona was interesting but again not my style and not much to do nearby. JMHO Jay

Old 12-07-2019, 08:11 AM

70 posts, read 40,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Economic growth is slow in the state

Report: High-wage jobs continue to leave Connecticut, pressuring state tax revenue

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...ed~curatedpage
Read this, this morning. Pretty damning but also would imagine the financial industry has shed tons of jobs all over from that recession.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:30 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shartnado42 View Post
Read this, this morning. Pretty damning but also would imagine the financial industry has shed tons of jobs all over from that recession.
It is disturbing but that is the fallout all over the country. I couldn’t find any studies to show that though. Jay

Old 12-07-2019, 11:00 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shartnado42 View Post
Very disturbing. High-paying financial service jobs do not have the need to be within a short distance of major banking centers anymore. This vehicle that hosts city data plus millions of other sites is their "be anywhere you want" banking center. Their vehicle to connect with clients from anywhere they choose to be.

Btw, NY & NJ have also seen the bleeding of giant portions of tax-revenue from the decline in such top earner populations their states have.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:26 PM

413 posts, read 317,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Very disturbing. High-paying financial service jobs do not have the need to be within a short distance of major banking centers anymore. This vehicle that hosts city data plus millions of other sites is their "be anywhere you want" banking center. Their vehicle to connect with clients from anywhere they choose to be.

Btw, NY & NJ have also seen the bleeding of giant portions of tax-revenue from the decline in such top earner populations their states have.

Connecticut continues it's death spiral caused by higher taxes and business unfriendly regulations (exactly the opposite of the current federal trend) led by state Democrats.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:21 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/care...Bnb7Kz#image=7

job gains by state ranked, 2019 only

Old 12-07-2019, 06:34 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
That courant article was a tough pill to swallow. Posters on this forum assured me that everything is fine and only retirees are moving out of state and are being replaced. Are you saying they're wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut