Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 10:50 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/amp/wtnh.com/...-campuses/amp/ smh itt shutting down all campuses nation wide

Last edited by ayoskillz; 09-06-2016 at 11:17 AM..

Old 09-06-2016, 10:51 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
RI consistently ranks as one of the worst places to go for job growth and economic development. I'm not sure NH has a strong economy with lots of job prospects as well.
There's a question thou. NH lands in the top half of surveys for low taxes and regulations. It also considered by most a business friendly state. But they are losing population as well. Obviously there's more then pure numbers to the economic problems in the NE.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:53 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Holy **** that came out of nowhere

Old 09-06-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Holy **** that came out of nowhere
Just read some on it. Despite that the news of issues with for Profits colleges hasn't hit hard on ITT. I gather they were getting their accreditation pulled so the Fed stepped in and said no more Federal student loans with out accreditation. No last minute deals could be made so the head of ITT decided to make a point and pull the plug.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
There's a question thou. NH lands in the top half of surveys for low taxes and regulations. It also considered by most a business friendly state. But they are losing population as well. Obviously there's more then pure numbers to the economic problems in the NE.
It's because NH is majority rural and rural America is declining. All the jobs are being brought to cities again. Industries that made rural NH sore are being offshored and downsizing. Young people are heading to colleges (most of the time out of state) and head to employment centers once they graduate. Older and retired people are moving to rural NH and Maine which isn't too uncommon. Milennials have different preferences than the former generations and that is they're more involved with cities while baby boomers, like myself, cherished suburban and rural living.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
It's because NH is majority rural and rural America is declining. All the jobs are being brought to cities again. Industries that made rural NH sore are being offshored and downsizing. Young people are heading to colleges (most of the time out of state) and head to employment centers once they graduate. Older and retired people are moving to rural NH and Maine which isn't too uncommon. Milennials have different preferences than the former generations and that is they're more involved with cities while baby boomers, like myself, cherished suburban and rural living.
But that's not it either. The cities are losing ground too or staying flat. Portland Maine for instance gained some while Portsmouth NH lost. these are similar cities in many respects. Portsmouth has several nearby corporate headquarters plus military jobs in Kittery. Yet they lost population to Portland which has higher taxes and COL.

In general I agree people are moving to more urban areas. (not as fast as most pundits say but they are) which explains the rise of Boston and NY but it doesn't really explain the loss of nearby very livable cities.

If you look at the view of "make it easy for business and they will come" corporate headquarters should be flooding NH while staying close to urban centers in Boston but their not.

On the opposite end look at North Carolina which has very good growth in both cities and small towns. I know a number of companies that have moved or opened up a division in NC. Many from the north east but also from Florida. Much of it was more then 1/2 hour out side of major cities thou. Why? cheap labor and cheap electricity drive their decision much more then taxes or regulation.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
But that's not it either. The cities are losing ground too or staying flat. Portland Maine for instance gained some while Portsmouth NH lost. these are similar cities in many respects. Portsmouth has several nearby corporate headquarters plus military jobs in Kittery. Yet they lost population to Portland which has higher taxes and COL.

In general I agree people are moving to more urban areas. (not as fast as most pundits say but they are) which explains the rise of Boston and NY but it doesn't really explain the loss of nearby very livable cities.

If you look at the view of "make it easy for business and they will come" corporate headquarters should be flooding NH while staying close to urban centers in Boston but their not.

On the opposite end look at North Carolina which has very good growth in both cities and small towns. I know a number of companies that have moved or opened up a division in NC. Many from the north east but also from Florida. Much of it was more then 1/2 hour out side of major cities thou. Why? cheap labor and cheap electricity drive their decision much more then taxes or regulation.
But Portsmouth, NH (population 20k) and Portland, ME (population 60k)? Those are the best 2 examples? These 2 cities aren't large employment centers but in a rural states like ME and NH they make up a large percentage. I'm referring to cities with prestigious and large colleges nearby that are filled with skilled graduates that are willing to take over the positions of retiring baby boomers. North Carolina has many booming cities because of all the colleges nearby. Look at the Research Trinage with UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest. Sure, taxes play a role but it's more than taxes.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
But Portsmouth, NH (population 20k) and Portland, ME (population 60k)? Those are the best 2 examples? These 2 cities aren't large employment centers but in a rural states like ME and NH they make up a large percentage. I'm referring to cities with prestigious and large colleges nearby that are filled with skilled graduates that are willing to take over the positions of retiring baby boomers. North Carolina has many booming cities because of all the colleges nearby. Look at the Research Trinage with UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest. Sure, taxes play a role but it's more than taxes.
I suppose Dartmouth, Bowdoin and Bates don't count? Or any number of high ranked colleges? We have a ton here in New England. Even UConn (top 20 public university) Isn't driving much growth in Eastern CT like you would expect. I think all were going to get to is it's complex.

Basically you need people to want to live there, and unfortunately everybody is different.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:58 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/wtnh.com/...-campuses/amp/ smh itt shutting down all campuses nation wide
State LPN programs shut down. Only Lincoln and Stone left.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:27 PM

789 posts, read 702,523 times
Quote:
False, NH has a net IN-migration of 2.2%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut