Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 05:45 PM

789 posts, read 703,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen. WM promotes 90k a year-75% w/o a degree. IMO that makes it a more attractive employer than Amazon, and it lacks, Thank God, Amazon's worker safety issues. Their DCs have had tons of folks passing out-some positioned ambulances outside all day long.
But Amazon is run by Bezos, a good, say the right thing liberal. WMT is run by evil Midwest conservatives.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:53 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,937,491 times
I will say being born in CT and now returning after 25 years retired in FL,because of age and family am one of those earning $36,000 per year.
I was tax free paying rubbish and fire,we had $72,000 in exemptions and overall cost less.If property taxes etc get out of hand we will leave CT.,weather etc will not be affecting us.
Cost of groceries pretty much the same and utilities also.The negative is if given aid they will lein your property.
Income tax will not affect us.
Our main worry will be health care,we do have what we consider to be fine doctors.Cost wise not much different than FL.
If we had to earn a living and pay various taxes we would not be here,not worth it.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:42 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
But Amazon is run by Bezos, a good, say the right thing liberal. WMT is run by evil Midwest conservatives.

LOL, and Starbucks CEO, a liberal, is 10th in nation for highest CEO-worker pay. He comes in at 669x his average employee.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:41 AM

53 posts, read 57,053 times
Default I guess this sums up the economic climate in CT

While doing some research late night, I saw on "reltytrac?" under "foreclosure trends" that CT has the 5th highest rate of foreclosures in the country. Another fact I found which caught my attention was that home prices are trending down in Greenwich (My town) for years I've been told by the "experts" trying to sell me investment homes in town that Greenwich values only go two ways...Flat or up..I'll stick with gold LOL. All in all this states in trouble with no easy answers

Last edited by ericvon.zipper; 09-10-2016 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-10-2016, 06:33 PM

752 posts, read 554,319 times
Quote:
Amen. WM promotes 90k a year-75% w/o a degree. IMO that makes it a more attractive employer than Amazon, and it lacks, Thank God, Amazon's worker safety issues. Their DCs have had tons of folks passing out-some positioned ambulances outside all day long.
That's an interesting perspective. I've never met anyone who'd rather work at Walmart than work for Amazon. Maybe it's the circles I run in?

Walmart employs more minimum wage employees than any company in the country. I think "promotion" has to be defined for that 90K promotions statistic to be meaningful.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:03 PM

789 posts, read 703,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
That's an interesting perspective. I've never met anyone who'd rather work at Walmart than work for Amazon. Maybe it's the circles I run in?

Walmart employs more minimum wage employees than any company in the country. I think "promotion" has to be defined for that 90K promotions statistic to be meaningful.
WMT employs more people period than any company in the country. Minimum wage employment is mostly entry level or people with second jobs or simply low skill workers. However, it is a foot in the door and stepping stone. There is no shame in minimum wage work if one is diligent the person will acquire skills and move up. If in fact one has skills that are in demand they will demand a higher wage either elsewhere or within. This idea that every person is OWED something is absurd. Simple supply/demand will tell you that if the 2.2m people WMT employed were layed off it would drive down wages even further as those 2.2m people would flood the supply part of the labor supply/demand equation.

As for people "rather working for" WMT or AMZN, I believe the comment related to AMZN warehouse workers. But guess what, the amazing thing about a free market, if you would rather work in AMZN's warehouses over WMT then you are free to apply and accept the wage offered. Amazing...like magic.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:

In retail, promotions are incremental, and even a small one is better than no promotion. My niece manages a small store (specialty retail) now, and she started as a clerk, barely above MW, and there were 2 promotions in between the clerk and manager job. First 2 were small in terms of total increase, but critical steps. The last promotion has meant a change, obviously, of several tens of thousands of dollars annually.

The key is being with a corp that provides opportunities. WM does.

Ct is getting an Amazon warehouse, and I hope it is safe. Their warehouses in other states have been tremendous health hazards, well documented by media.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
WMT employs more people period than any company in the country. Minimum wage employment is mostly entry level or people with second jobs or simply low skill workers. However, it is a foot in the door and stepping stone. There is no shame in minimum wage work if one is diligent the person will acquire skills and move up. If in fact one has skills that are in demand they will demand a higher wage either elsewhere or within. This idea that every person is OWED something is absurd. Simple supply/demand will tell you that if the 2.2m people WMT employed were layed off it would drive down wages even further as those 2.2m people would flood the supply part of the labor supply/demand equation.

As for people "rather working for" WMT or AMZN, I believe the comment related to AMZN warehouse workers. But guess what, the amazing thing about a free market, if you would rather work in AMZN's warehouses over WMT then you are free to apply and accept the wage offered. Amazing...like magic.
Fair enough.

I would be interested to know how many do take advantage of the opportunity to "step up." It's honest work and certainly preferable to not working at all...

Old 09-10-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Ct is getting an Amazon warehouse, and I hope it is safe. Their warehouses in other states have been tremendous health hazards, well documented by media.
Couldn't agree more.

Although Walmart isn't winning any awards for how they treat employees. Both are awful..

Worse than Wal-Mart: Amazon’s sick brutality and secret history of ruthlessly intimidating workers - Salon.com

There is no reason for any company to disrespect workers.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.

Although Walmart isn't winning any awards for how they treat employees. Both are awful..

Worse than Wal-Mart: Amazon’s sick brutality and secret history of ruthlessly intimidating workers - Salon.com

There is no reason for any company to disrespect workers.

No comparison, WM is not dangerous for employees. Some Amazon warehouses have been. I would hope Ct version of OSHA stays on top of them, to insure the conditions are safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut