Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 01:18 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

Bridgeport fastest growing city in CT than Stamford/New Haven

Study: CT cities ranked poorly for growth, but Bridgeport surprises | Shelton Herald

Old 09-25-2014, 05:25 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
First thing first, we need to get Morale up in this State. I live in Central Connecticut and I work all over the State (FFC, NH and SE). Everywhere you go coffee shops, gas stations, lines at super markets, now I'm even hearing it at fairs, it sounds like people are just complaining (me included). I can't pin point the problem, but its really sad to see this little poll. I think polls are dumb, but I got a good laugh at this last night. Connecticut Scorecard

One of the questions is "confidence in your States economy (rate -100 to 100)." The average for the country is 23. Connecticut is -2 and Alabama is 17! Even Mississippi is at 5. On this question, the two lowest were CT and IL. Hmm, the two States that people want to move out of the most. Just saying.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:33 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Math doesn't lie. High cost, high tax, high stress, tight choke -- people will put up with this for only so long. Then, many just move out. The rest shoulder the burden which gets heavier every year.

Yet, we're told -- CT is doing fine!!!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:00 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
High cost, high tax, and high stress are choices though. I know quite a few people in the exurbs whose parents are lamenting the high tax structure, but they go to every town meeting to block any commercial or mixed use zoning changes which is where many of the more developed towns make their GL flow better. They want the picturesque town but not the real cost associated with it. As well, they are banking on selling their expensive houses (largely made expensive with the help of exclusionary zoning I just mentioned) to retire, and who would want to live in the exurbs if the schools were as bad as say Waterbury's? That costs money.

Look at all the McMansions that have popped up where nice, but moderate, houses once stood. These people have never had it so good in their bloodline. It comes down to there's not a luxury and service they don't like and not a tax or cost they won't complain about.

Also, I think a bit of the issue is cultural. I didn't know talking about finances and money is taboo because frankly, it isn't here. If anything among the multi-gens here there's a tendency to undersell financial conditions. In most other parts of the country that kind of talk is way out of bounds, which I think may have two feedback loops: here we think everyone else (including ourselves) aren't doing as well as we actually may be, and people in other areas think everyone else (including themselves) are doing better than they actually are. It's not that we're told CT is doing fine, we're constantly bombarded with how "bad it is, how much it costs."

Old 09-25-2014, 07:01 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Economist: Downtown North Project To Create 1,000 Jobs - Hartford Courant

Old 09-25-2014, 07:10 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
High cost, high tax, and high stress are choices though. I know quite a few people in the exurbs whose parents are lamenting the high tax structure, but they go to every town meeting to block any commercial or mixed use zoning changes which is where many of the more developed towns make their GL flow better. They want the picturesque town but not the real cost associated with it. As well, they are banking on selling their expensive houses (largely made expensive with the help of exclusionary zoning I just mentioned) to retire, and who would want to live in the exurbs if the schools were as bad as say Waterbury's? That costs money.

Look at all the McMansions that have popped up where nice, but moderate, houses once stood. These people have never had it so good in their bloodline. It comes down to there's not a luxury and service they don't like and not a tax or cost they won't complain about.

Also, I think a bit of the issue is cultural. I didn't know talking about finances and money is taboo because frankly, it isn't here. If anything among the multi-gens here there's a tendency to undersell financial conditions. In most other parts of the country that kind of talk is way out of bounds, which I think may have two feedback loops: here we think everyone else (including ourselves) aren't doing as well as we actually may be, and people in other areas think everyone else (including themselves) are doing better than they actually are. It's not that we're told CT is doing fine, we're constantly bombarded with how "bad it is, how much it costs."
Some good points here but I'm not truly convinced that commercial development actually contributes to lower taxes. Fairfield is quite a bit more commercial and retail relative to Wilton but taxes are actually higher on a similarly priced (and Speck's) home.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:05 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Also, I think a bit of the issue is cultural. I didn't know talking about finances and money is taboo because frankly, it isn't here.
I moved to CT from the midwest (a small city in southern Illinois). That cultural difference was quite apparent.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:04 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. It will Relocate jobs from New Britain to Hartford and will create retail/hospitality jobs because of the retail and restaurants. The town committee voted against this project. What does that mean (I'm not sure of how the process works).

Old 09-26-2014, 06:24 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. It will Relocate jobs from New Britain to Hartford and will create retail/hospitality jobs because of the retail and restaurants. The town committee voted against this project. What does that mean (I'm not sure of how the process works).
I think you mean the Planning & Zoning Commission. It kind of sounded to me that they were mad that they were not more involved in the development of the project. They said that the City's Plan for Development did not indicate that a large sports development should be located north of downtown. They said that the Plan said the area should be developed as a small urban neighborhood.

Uh, but how could a plan address something that no one could concieve would be possible? Who would have imagined five years ago a minor league team moving to the city. Is the plan of development and the zoning commission so rigid that they will not consider the new proposals. The recommended plan calls for much of the things in the Plan of Development including housing and retail. What more does the commission want? The land has sat vacant for decades with no real plan for development on the horizon. So why won't they endorse a plan to finally use the land for something worthwhile? It sounds like a bunch of bruised egos to me. This is one of the problems with Hartford. Its officials have big egos that get in the way of what is best for the city. Jay

Old 10-07-2014, 01:37 PM

So, I've noticed two things lately about the economy of Connecticut.

1) (DISCLAIMER: This is not meant to be offensive, just an observation). There have been a lot of threads started by people who seem to be moving to Stamford/Hartford from India. More than likely Insurance and IT people. While great for them for getting (and taking) that opportunity, what about the people who live here already. I'm guessing that many will be on a H-1B Visa and this will be a short term assignment. The cost is likely less to hire an individual from India but will that sustain CT? I think having pride in your State is a big driver for success. People who have the qualifications and get passed over for "cheaper" labor will no longer want to work for a company and will leave. What you then have is a rotating door of individuals who have zero skin in the game (community wise).

2) There has been some major real estate deals in the Hartford Area (to the tune of $20m plus paid for buildings and condos.) Is this a sign that major players see CT as a deal and are getting in on the ground floor just as CT economy is about to skyrocket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut