Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 02:07 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,251 times

Advertisements

The Junkyard Goats will set new attendance records for minor league ball

Old 03-30-2017, 03:28 PM

2,004 posts, read 1,867,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It looks like the state legislature is looking to compromise on the plan to shift teacher pension funding from the state to the towns by gradually phasing it in over several years. I suspect that was Governor Malloy's plan all along but he initially proposed towns funding 1/3 the pensions immediately to get people's attention. True political maneuvering. We will see. Jay

Aresimowicz offers phase-in compromise on pension bills for CT towns | HartfordBusiness.com

Just a way to put more on towns which causes them to raise taxes

Old 03-30-2017, 03:32 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
It looks like the state legislature is looking to compromise on the plan to shift teacher pension funding from the state to the towns by gradually phasing it in over several years. I suspect that was Governor Malloy's plan all along but he initially proposed towns funding 1/3 the pensions immediately to get people's attention. True political maneuvering. We will see. Jay

Aresimowicz offers phase-in compromise on pension bills for CT towns | HartfordBusiness.com
Does a new hire teacher still get those cushy pension benefits? Massachusetts slashed all that big time in 2011. Retirement age went from 55 to 60. No pension spiking with high income the last year and change to the average of the last 5 work years. Much reduced benefits. No early retirement deals with 20 years in.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:37 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
CT need new governor the state has a lot of potential

Old 03-30-2017, 07:05 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Not true. I am pretty sure the New Britain Rock Cats were successful which is why they were able to move to Hartford and become the Yardgoats. Jay
"Unlike Norwich, which drew 203,005 in its final season in the Eastern League, and New Haven, which drew 140,922 to Yale Field for the Ravens last season in 2003, New Britain has held its own in attendance, even as the franchise entered its third decade."

from

New Britain Has A Rich Minor League History - tribunedigital-thecourant

Old 03-31-2017, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 5,114 times
Default CT=least fiscally healthy state in the US (per GMU poll)

https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings

What an absolute abomination. To be ranked even less fiscally sound than CA (which I sincerely hope secedes from the union like the liberal nutjob snowflakes cried about doing after Trump got elected) really tells what a sad state of affairs this place is.

This state offers absolutely nothing for my demographic, and has done nothing but rape my wallet. My wife and I have decided that once her residency mercifully concludes in early 2020, we're immediately gone (and likely from the communist northeast in its entirety).

How do you people stand for such an absolute failure of a state? Your politicians do nothing but whine about Trump (Murphy and Blumenthal are the ultimate snowflakes who have accomplished precisely nothing aside from leeching public money...Malloy might be even more of a joke) instead of actually SOLVING problems.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:08 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,353,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMe0ut0fHere View Post

How do you people stand for such an absolute failure of a state?
I will take a crack at at this one. My family on my mom's side have been in the NYC area since the late 1880's and in Fairfield County CT since 1900. Many people in the area closest to NYC have deep roots here many generations back. I have thousands of relatives in Fairfield County and even more in the tri-state area. I guess you can say some of the people of the northeast look at the very poor states down south and think "how do they live there". For the same reasons, family roots, it's their home and where their ancestors are from.

Yes, it is very distressing to see my state in such bad financial shape. I am holding out hope that a change will come in the political landscape of CT. We have already seen a uptick in Republican Politicians elected. I believe in 2018 a Republican Governor and more Republican politicians will be elected. I believe this will start to turn the state around.

But even with that I live in a nice home in a nice town in Fairfield County. I have access via Metro North RR to the greatest cultural city in the US and one of the greatest cities in the world for the arts & business, NYC.

I know things look bad and seem bad but........

According to the graph below CT has the 4th highest income in the country. If we were a poor state and bad financials I would say we are in very big trouble. But CT has a very high income and the problem is bad management not lack of money/resources.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ates-by-state/

Old 03-31-2017, 01:30 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,041,281 times
I'm distressed by the state of the economy here and think we can do better, but I also have the opportunity to interact with people in my demographic (30 something, parent of a small child) across many different states, and based on my interactions, we have it really, really good here in that regard. So feel free to report back if you decide to have children and end up someplace like Texas or Tennessee, particularly if you have one who needs any form of special services whatsoever.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:45 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetMe0ut0fHere View Post

What an absolute abomination. To be ranked even less fiscally sound than CA (which I sincerely hope secedes from the union like the liberal nutjob snowflakes cried about doing after Trump got elected) really tells what a sad state of affairs this place is.

This state offers absolutely nothing for my demographic, and has done nothing but rape my wallet. My wife and I have decided that once her residency mercifully concludes in early 2020, we're immediately gone (and likely from the communist northeast in its entirety).

How do you people stand for such an absolute failure of a state? Your politicians do nothing but whine about Trump (Murphy and Blumenthal are the ultimate snowflakes who have accomplished precisely nothing aside from leeching public money...Malloy might be even more of a joke) instead of actually SOLVING problems.
Sorry but there is more to this than meets the eye. We have seen rankings from this organization before and they are a bit flawed in how they rank the states. They do not take into account that Connecticut does not have a county level of government like other states do, so of course our fiscal position is different and looks bleaker. There is no other government level to spread the financial burden onto like some other states. I contacted the author of a previous ranking they published and she admitted that could make a difference. It is obvious though that they ignored my points in this one. I will contact them again.

That does not mean that Connecticut does not have its problems. It sounds like you would be better off living somewhere else anyway. I hope you find one that works better for you since you don't seem to appreciate all that our state has to offer. Jay

Old 03-31-2017, 02:16 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
I'm distressed by the state of the economy here and think we can do better, but I also have the opportunity to interact with people in my demographic (30 something, parent of a small child) across many different states, and based on my interactions, we have it really, really good here in that regard. So feel free to report back if you decide to have children and end up someplace like Texas or Tennessee, particularly if you have one who needs any form of special services whatsoever.
Err... The affluent suburbs of Nashville have some of the best school systems in the country. Franklin, Brentwood, Belle Meade, and Hendersonville are stuffed full of rich people. Vanderbilt is a top-10 university like Duke and Johns Hopkins.

The rest of the state? Sure. It's a real backwater.

I'll bet special ed isn't very good in Hartford, Bridgeport, or New Haven. My frame of reference is the Massachusetts failed mill cities but there, everybody is special needs. None of those places have the $50K per student budget to fund all that one-on-one. If you have special needs, you move to a leafy suburb where the school system doesn't have many special needs students. Doesn't matter whether it's Lexington, Ma, Franklin, TN, or Greenwich, CT. You're going to get great services. Memphis, Springfield MA, or Hartford? Not so much.

I have lots of techie friends in Texas. There are rich suburbs in Texas, too. They have top school systems. A couple miles away, the schools are a disaster just like in the Blue states.

Near as I can tell, the Connecticut problem is union public sector bloat. The unfunded pension liability is crushing the state. That's not commie. That's unchecked special interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut