Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 08:42 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Of course affluent suburbs of major cities have good schools there. That is true in almost any state. But it is beyond that where things really change and that is the key difference. As for your comments on special education in cities, I know that the City of Meriden offers a very good program for their special education students and Meriden is considered an poor urban area. Jay
The difference is that people with engineering, biotech, academic, medical etc jobs can afford those affluent neighborhoods in other cities. Not so much in CT. At the end of day, access is all that matters. All of those towns have schools that are infinitely better than jo blow CT towns like Cromwell, Norwalk et al. Sure, a top ranked plastic surgeon can afford one of the 2 million dollar houses in Westport, but not the local pediatrician or neurologist. That's not the case in affluent suburbs of other cities.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:13 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
CT economic analyst say state budget is in state of emergency. Should there taxes increases or budget cuts ?

https://ctmirror.org/2017/04/02/econ...-of-emergency/

Old 04-03-2017, 09:38 AM

752 posts, read 554,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
CT economic analyst say state budget is in state of emergency. Should there taxes increases or budget cuts ?

https://ctmirror.org/2017/04/02/econ...-of-emergency/
It seems apparent that both are needed.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:54 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
The difference is that people with engineering, biotech, academic, medical etc jobs can afford those affluent neighborhoods in other cities. Not so much in CT. At the end of day, access is all that matters. All of those towns have schools that are infinitely better than jo blow CT towns like Cromwell, Norwalk et al. Sure, a top ranked plastic surgeon can afford one of the 2 million dollar houses in Westport, but not the local pediatrician or neurologist. That's not the case in affluent suburbs of other cities.
You are assuming that there are no excellent school systems in our state other than those super-pricey towns in Fairfield County. That is not true. There are many towns with top rated schools that are within reach of the middle class here.

The median home price (according to Zillow) for a home in Simsbury is $303,400. In West Hartford, it is $292,800 while in Madison it is $408,600. Trumbull which is in Fairfield County is $359,900. In Franklin, TN, the median price is $420,300 while Brentwood, TN is $602,800.

Fairfield is even less than Brentwood at $531,700. And Ridgefield, commonly considered one of the top districts in our state, if not the country, is only $10,000 more than Brentwood at $618,200. Now which state has top school districts within reach of the middle class? Jay

Old 04-03-2017, 12:07 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
You are assuming that there are no excellent school systems in our state other than those super-pricey towns in Fairfield County. That is not true. There are many towns with top rated schools that are within reach of the middle class here.

The median home price (according to Zillow) for a home in Simsbury is $303,400. In West Hartford, it is $292,800 while in Madison it is $408,600. Trumbull which is in Fairfield County is $359,900. In Franklin, TN, the median price is $420,300 while Brentwood, TN is $602,800.

Fairfield is even less than Brentwood at $531,700. And Ridgefield, commonly considered one of the top districts in our state, if not the country, is only $10,000 more than Brentwood at $618,200. Now which state has top school districts within reach of the middle class? Jay
A lot of homes in west Hartford are old and run down. There's also some rather...ugly parts of west Hartford. Not so in franklin. The soaring real estate in franklin is only a testament to its success. Let's not forget that the beautiful, built in 2005 home in franklin with schools in Avon+ league have property taxes in the 1,800-2,300 range. In west Hartford that is going to be 10k+. They also aren't paying an extra thousand dollars a year in taxes for their new car. They also aren't paying 5-10k in state income tax. Real estate is supply and demand, can't penalize them too Michu for being desirable, especially when median house is 400k when comparable towns in CT are much more and the ones that are lower have a reason for being so (west Hartford as example).

Old 04-03-2017, 02:52 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
A lot of homes in west Hartford are old and run down. There's also some rather...ugly parts of west Hartford. Not so in franklin. The soaring real estate in franklin is only a testament to its success. Let's not forget that the beautiful, built in 2005 home in franklin with schools in Avon+ league have property taxes in the 1,800-2,300 range. In west Hartford that is going to be 10k+. They also aren't paying an extra thousand dollars a year in taxes for their new car. They also aren't paying 5-10k in state income tax. Real estate is supply and demand, can't penalize them too Michu for being desirable, especially when median house is 400k when comparable towns in CT are much more and the ones that are lower have a reason for being so (west Hartford as example).
Are you saying that West Hartford is not an desirable suburb? As far as I know, West Hartford is one of the most desirable suburbs in the state, if not the country. Both Kiplingers and Family Circle magazine agree (see the link below). It has one of the most dynamic and vibrant downtowns and developers and real estate professionals from all over the country have come here to see it and try to imitate it.

I also strongly disagree with your assessment of housing in West Hartford. Yes, much of it is older but that does not mean it is rundown. It is charming and not faux charm like you find in the plastic suburban sprawl that is found in many newer suburbs. A $420,000 home in West Hartford is pretty nice and likely in good condition. A $602,000 home is even nicer.

Argue what you want but the nicer suburbs outside of super pricey Fairfield County are just as affordable as affluent suburbs of many major cities in this country. And if as you claim the price of homes in a town is a testament to its success, then you agree that the super expensive towns of Fairfield County are VERY successful since they are among the priciest communities in the country. Jay

Town Spotlight - Hartford Courant

Old 04-03-2017, 02:55 PM

786 posts, read 824,531 times
Who the hell wants to live in TN? Terrible food, slow, surrounded by southerners, no seasons, far away from family. No thanks.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:24 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,237 times
Quote:

Interesting information

I'm surprised TN is so high but I recall hearing someone tell me that if you expected anything new in Nashville you had to shell out at least a half million dollars.

My guess is that those prices are a bubble since there is land to build and increase supply.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:52 PM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Interesting information

I'm surprised TN is so high but I recall hearing someone tell me that if you expected anything new in Nashville you had to shell out at least a half million dollars.

My guess is that those prices are a bubble since there is land to build and increase supply.
Home inflation Nashville MTSA has been spectacular, as Brentwood/Franklin is corp hq ville. Nissan NA being amongst most well known. Never expected Nashville to host more UBS jobs than Stamford, but they do, and a while back read they were adding hundreds more.

Personally, I think Franklin is the better town, but Brentwood is pricier.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:23 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Who the hell wants to live in TN? Terrible food, slow, surrounded by southerners, no seasons, far away from family. No thanks.
It's on my shortlist:
There are seasons if you need them (they actually get snow but it rarely lasts)
Warmer than New England
I rarely eat out
More rural areas than CT
Less taxes
Lower COL
Did I mention less taxes?

The biggest negative for me is the lack of the 1700-1800 houses NE is known for, but I think I can handle a mid-1800s cabin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut