Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 07:39 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It looks like Governor Malloy is going to be proposing a very "lean" budget this year. One that proposes no tax hikes and redistributes aid more to our distressed cities. Hopefully it will get the state's finances under control. Will see. Jay

Malloy continues to prep CT for lean budget | HartfordBusiness.com
Article talks about three sides need to come together to solve the fiscal crisis which is getting worse by the day -- Malloy, Unions and Cities. Am I the only one with the full confidence that they will make it even worse?

Old 01-25-2017, 10:18 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
How is everyone feeling about this CCM change?! If this passes, the arguement of "we'll at least we don't tax groceries" is thrown out the window. Also, tax put sales tax on gas, why not. And in some counties it will cost you a sales tax of 8.25% to eat out. The sad part is I will never reap the benefit because I live in an above average town.
CCM: Pair sales tax hike, bargaining changes to bolster cities, towns | The CT Mirror
No matter how much you tax certain things people still will buy. Tax clothes people still buy. Tax food people still buy. Gas ect

Old 01-26-2017, 03:19 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
No matter how much you tax certain things people still will buy. Tax clothes people still buy. Tax food people still buy. Gas ect
You're right, the items listed above are needed to fit into a normal society. Sounds like the CT government is taking advantage of the so called "nessesities" and taxing them because we as a community need to buy them in order to run our daily lives.

Sounds fair...

Sounds like a north end drug dealer. "No matter how much I raise the price they still keep coming back because people will still buy."

I just keep seeing this money grab by our legislators and no real reason behind it other than wealth distribution.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:00 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Heard States are pushing for higher sales tax and lower property taxes.

I say cap property tax and car tax at 45 Mill Rate. Raise sakes tax to 8%. Slowly do away with income tax and replace income tax with toll taxes.

Legalize marijuana. Place a 12% excess tax on marjuana, alcohol, and cigarettes to pay for DMHAS/Hospitals.

Gas tax bring down to 25% and taxes go to general State funds.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:15 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
There are a couple of things I like in this proposal - special ed costs are borne by the state, regional services are not subject to collective bargaining and these new tax revenues are exempt from the arbitration review process. Even better would be to rid municipalities of all unfunded state mandates. But its also pretty apparent to me that this is a thinly veiled attempt to bail out the city of Hartford, to which I am totally opposed. Hartford is a poorly managed and spendthrift city which needs to address its spending problems before looking for additional revenues from the rest of the state. Good money after bad. That said, if this proposal was coupled with a Hartford bankruptcy, it might be palatable.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:59 AM

845 posts, read 679,672 times
Not too happy with the sales tax hike. Waterbury would shove it up to the max instantly. Will just stop eating out in Waterbury, and look elsewhere. I do not like the "regional tax" component. No idea why when I buy groceries in town that some of the money goes to Waterbury. I am unsure if I am reading it right, but that's what this seems like.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:19 PM

504 posts, read 384,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
How is everyone feeling about this CCM change?! If this passes, the arguement of "we'll at least we don't tax groceries" is thrown out the window. Also, tax put sales tax on gas, why not. And in some counties it will cost you a sales tax of 8.25% to eat out. The sad part is I will never reap the benefit because I live in an above average town.
CCM: Pair sales tax hike, bargaining changes to bolster cities, towns | The CT Mirror
I'm fine with the sales tax on gas, but only if the gas tax is abolished.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:39 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
There are a couple of things I like in this proposal - special ed costs are borne by the state, regional services are not subject to collective bargaining and these new tax revenues are exempt from the arbitration review process. Even better would be to rid municipalities of all unfunded state mandates. But its also pretty apparent to me that this is a thinly veiled attempt to bail out the city of Hartford, to which I am totally opposed. Hartford is a poorly managed and spendthrift city which needs to address its spending problems before looking for additional revenues from the rest of the state. Good money after bad. That said, if this proposal was coupled with a Hartford bankruptcy, it might be palatable
Good observation. State has been bailing out the cities for a long time. Or in other words, State collects money from suburbanite stiffs to re-distribute to City's parasites and criminals.

CT has gotten to a point that stiffs can't do a single thing about it, except move out. Right now, cities choose politicians, which of course know where their loyalty lies. So this is a deteriorating spiral, and "bleed to death by a thousand cuts"

Old 01-26-2017, 07:52 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Connecticut's minimum wage could rise again thanks to new bill - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Old 01-26-2017, 10:03 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Not good... thats Meaning more jobs will move out due to them not making enough money to pay taxes and employees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut