Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 10:25 AM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I am curious with all the people here who are bragging about other states being better - why don't you guys move? Something brought you to CT unless you were born here.

CT will survive without you.
I for one was born here, and am researching other states now. There is no way I can afford to retire here.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:23 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
I'll be gone soon as well. I'm begging to be transferred to Virginia or Texas and the chances are likely. The company I work for doesn't have many people left in CT. We peaked 5-7 years ago and we're about 60% workers less than our peak. These aren't low paying jobs either and all but 2 want to leave. I'm retiring in 2025 and me and my wife were planning on staying until then but since the state is not leaving out tax increases, we want to save our hard earned dollars by moving out. It's a shame since I've lived here for many decades. I'd love to stay but the problems that this state is facing is making me turn the other way. I'm pretty sure everything wants to at this point. Is anyone on here committed to staying?

Old 05-27-2017, 03:15 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I'll be gone soon as well. I'm begging to be transferred to Virginia or Texas and the chances are likely. The company I work for doesn't have many people left in CT. We peaked 5-7 years ago and we're about 60% workers less than our peak. These aren't low paying jobs either and all but 2 want to leave. I'm retiring in 2025 and me and my wife were planning on staying until then but since the state is not leaving out tax increases, we want to save our hard earned dollars by moving out. It's a shame since I've lived here for many decades. I'd love to stay but the problems that this state is facing is making me turn the other way. I'm pretty sure everything wants to at this point. Is anyone on here committed to staying?
The vast majority of people I know, both affluent and working class, have a desire to live somewhere else. The ones committed to staying are doing so because either their kids are in school or they don't want to leave family - not because they're thrilled with living here.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:25 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Probably stay. I love to live somewhere warmer lived here my whole life tired of winter's. Mid April to early November the weather is tolerable. Haven't really been affected too much by taxes outside of car taxes before the cap. Also COL is pricey here.

The wife wants to stay in CT. We are both banking on being nurses and moving down to New London area within the next 3 year's. The area is less crowded, cheaper housing, and winter for some reason is less extreme.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:33 PM

845 posts, read 680,105 times
I have purchased land in Florida. I am at my job a few more years until I can pay for 75% of the house I am building in cash. Then I am gone from this miserable state.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:54 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Just because people say "look at those liberal states giving welfare away" does not make it true. I have been looking this info up for quite some time and CT is staying pretty consistent. It really is not a welfare state but it looks like a lot of the southern states are.
CT spends 15-20% of its own budget for welfare. Medicaid is a big part of it -- about $ 2.5 Billion. Feds add another $ 2 billion for it.

Here is the CT's budget breakdown :

1- Public Unions: 40%
2- Debt Service: 10%
3- Medicaid + Welfare: 20%
4- Municipal handouts: almost 20%
5- Leftover (roads, tourism, parks and rec): 10%.

About 90% of State's Budget is re-distribution of wealth -- rob the taxpayer to pay Democratic constituencies.

CT not only has tapped out horizontally (i.e. how many people it can tax), but also vertically -- where it spends its money.

Math has CT in a headlock right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I for one was born here, and am researching other states now. There is no way I can afford to retire here.
High COL and congestion -- these are killing it for many seniors. My in-laws for example, are an active couple, they live on the Shoreline, but travel throughout the state on weekdays for outdoors, cultural, and even college lectures. If it weren't for family ties -- they would have been gone. Everything else in CT for them is a negative.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:49 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
CT spends 15-20% of its own budget for welfare. Medicaid is a big part of it -- about $ 2.5 Billion. Feds add another $ 2 billion for it.

About 90% of State's Budget is re-distribution of wealth -- rob the taxpayer to pay Democratic constituencies.

CT not only has tapped out horizontally (i.e. how many people it can tax), but also vertically -- where it spends its money.

Math has CT in a headlock right now.

High COL and congestion -- these are killing it for many seniors. My in-laws for example, are an active couple, they live on the Shoreline, but travel throughout the state on weekdays for outdoors, cultural, and even college lectures. If it weren't for family ties -- they would have been gone. Everything else in CT for them is a negative.
We usually agree philosophically, but i can't reconcile the 40% union figure to the 2016 CT Budget. Debt service makes up 13%, services (roads, tourism, parks and recs) is 12%, municipal handouts is 15%, Medicaid is 12%, personnel costs is 32%. This sums to ~84%, leading 16% for welfare and public unions.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:27 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post

Can you put a link to the info above, thanks.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:11 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
The easiest way to decrease income taxes is thru IRA/401k deductions. If you have already maxed IRA/401k deductions than moving to save taxes will make some sense. It is hard to beat the tax savings that comes with maxing IRA/401K deductions though.

A quick illustration. If you are over 50 years old you and your spouse can contribute $16,000 per person every year into an IRA/401k. That is $32,000 a year that comes right off the top. If your gross income is $100k now its $68k.

Also, if you are on the cusp of the itemized deduction faze outs which is around 200k per year if married this can bring you back under and recoup that 2% faze out (Federal level) 3% (state level).

If you are already contributing the max pre tax to an IRA/401k account then maybe moving makes sense.

I think it would be near impossible for a regular W-2 wage earner to save enough in taxes in any other way than IRA/401k.

IF you have a CPA you can ask them the same question - Don't take my word for it, but I think you'll get the same answer.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:43 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
I love this state and the area I'm in, but am thinking about other areas. The thing is, my job industry is very NYC-centric. The only Metro areas that would even be close are Chicago, LA, SF. Which don't appeal that much to me. I guess LA has the most appeal out of all of them.

But really I may just be moving closer to NYC because I'm not confident in the job market here. My industry did really well in FFC for a long time, but it's barely hanging on now with no real growth. Maybe part of it is young people don't really want to work in the suburbs. Which makes finding talent a challenge. But also the state isn't doing much to incentivize companies that could just go to NYC or Chicago.

So, I may move to FFC closer to the city, or another area like Westchester. Slimmer chance, but a place like LA. Austin, Boulder, SF can't be completely ruled out. Unlike many, I don't ***** about COL because the job market and opportunities in high cost areas is more than worth it for me.

If I was a renter, I'd be much more likely to explore other places. Homeownership is the only thing keeping me from being more serious about moving.

Talk amongst my friends about staying and sentiment on state is 50/50, but that's drastically worse than a few years back. A few friends that always thought they'd stay are hearing the news and starting to consider moving.

Our government has done us no favors over the years economically, and we lack a big sexy city for economic growth and youth retention. For years, the suburbs flourished and business was good. Now it's bad and young professionals want nothing to do with it. Working in a suburban office park sounds very depressing, personally. And that's where a lot of our business growth was, while we let our cities rot.

You can count me as one loss of state income in the past 2 years. I'm making a good salary in NYC and I was paying CT income tax for years. Not anymore. NY gets it now.

Last edited by Stylo; 05-28-2017 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut