Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 06:04 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,839,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
The $15 an hour idea is lunacy. There is not enough history at best to make an argument for it. At worst it's a job killer. Ask any business person what's the hardest/ worst part of being in business. Employees.
This will cause so much inflation that it negates much of the positive.
Lastly those who need it most, get lots of aid from the government. They usually turn down hours so to get the max aid.
15$ an hour is too low. Perhaps a single person who's good at budgeting and fixing things could get by on that. Very few people have those skills.

If someone has a family and or non working spouse forget about it.

The min wage should be tied to COL and raised each year to keep up with inflation. Using that formula the min wage in CT would be at least 20$ an hour.

Also, all employers who have employees receiving some type of benefits like food stamps or medicaid should be exempt from any type of tax incentives / tax breaks. I would actually go as far as sending those employers a bill at the end of the year to pay for the Govt benefits their employees used.

IF we did something like that we would see wages rise quickly.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:16 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,090,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
15$ an hour is too low.
Sorry but paying people huge wages to flip burgers means people won't desire to become anything more... scary people think like that..

Old 03-01-2018, 06:51 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,186,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Just saying
Ok so if min. wage goes up, guess what happens next.
Rents go up, every business that has employees has to pay more, next they raise prices. Food goes up, gas goes up, etc. It's a zero sum game.

There is no Utopia where we can raise minimum wage and not see it passed on in higher cost of living.

What about seniors on a fixed income. Guess what they will have to come back to work to survive.
I'll hire that guy/gal who reliably showed up for 40 yrs.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
15$ an hour is too low. Perhaps a single person who's good at budgeting and fixing things could get by on that. Very few people have those skills.

The min wage should be tied to COL and raised each year to keep up with inflation. Using that formula the min wage in CT would be at least 20$ an hour.

Also, all employers who have employees receiving some type of benefits like food stamps or medicaid should be exempt from any type of tax incentives / tax breaks. I would actually go as far as sending those employers a bill at the end of the year to pay for the Govt benefits their employees used.

Clearly you never owned a business.

My business pays the unemployment benefits, we pay the same amount again in SS benefits for each employee. I pay insane property taxes in each town I'm in. Though I don't have any say or vote in that town, nor use the schools.

Why stop at $20, heck let's make it $30.
Maybe you should start a business and pay like you talk.
Get back to me.

Last edited by Stepfordct; 03-01-2018 at 07:05 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 07:06 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
Ok so if min. wage goes up, guess what happens next.
Rents go up, every business that has employees has to pay more, next they raise prices. Food goes up, gas goes up, etc. It's a zero sum game.

There is no Utopia where we can raise minimum wage and not see it passed on in higher cost of living.

What about seniors on a fixed income. Guess what they will have to come back to work to survive.
I'll hire that guy/gal who reliably showed up for 40 yrs.
It going get worst in 10-15 years because 15-20% of jobs will be replace robots, automation, Ai intelligence. I already see McDonalds and other stores starting using automation. Amazon already begin starting using Ai intelligence

Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:

Say hi Mr. Kiosk, bye bye Susie at the fast food cash register.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Say hi Mr. Kiosk, bye bye Susie at the fast food cash register.
Kiosk's are really just the gateway to mobile apps.
Even those days are numbered

Old 03-01-2018, 07:29 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Kiosk's are really just the gateway to mobile apps.
Even those days are numbered
Susie's job is going. That $11 minimum wage will look mighty good to her soon, when she is looking for work.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Sorry but paying people huge wages to flip burgers means people won't desire to become anything more... scary people think like that..
That's because you think 15$ an hour is too low. If you don't pay employees livable wages society et al pays for them thru Govt benefits. No reason society should be subsidizing the Walmart heirs. They have plenty of cash to pay employees more and provide them benefits and they are not the only company where this applies.

Luckily for us if one digs deep enough one can find examples where this works. Australia is the perfect example in which their unions negotiate the min wage every year for all employees in the country.

No reason that couldn't work in the US, we can even make it variable to account for differences in COL around the country.

Its not going to happen here though because our politicians are bought, people have been brainwashed to hate unions, and no one wants to challenge the status quo.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Susie's job is going. That $11 minimum wage will look mighty good to her soon, when she is looking for work.
You severely over estimate the intelligence level of the general public. HAve you ever watched someone at a self serve check out at a grocery store try to look up the price on produce using the PLU?

I know how to do it because I was a cashier before, not many people know this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut