Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 04:04 PM

789 posts, read 702,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
As I've stated in past posts and threads, there's a difference between having a discussion regarding the economy and incessantly posting anti-CT articles to the point where it appears to be an obsession.
Some of these articles are headline Wall Street Journal pieces which tends to carry some weight in economic circles. IF that doesnt go directly to the "Economic Climate in CT", what does?

Old 06-05-2016, 04:44 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Some of these articles are headline Wall Street Journal pieces which tends to carry some weight in economic circles. IF that doesnt go directly to the "Economic Climate in CT", what does?
See post # 4966.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:48 PM

789 posts, read 702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
See post # 4966.
Are you inferring I have an "agenda"? And what exactly would that agenda be?

Old 06-05-2016, 04:59 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
Are you inferring I have an "agenda"? And what exactly would that agenda be?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm inferring.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:11 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Young graduates hold the "key to the economic kingdom,'' with their knowledge of new technology and how to collect and use data, said Joseph McGee, vice president of the Business Council of Fairfield County.

Michael Sabol, of Glastonbury-based MahoneySabol, said the lack of a big city nearby makes it difficult to attract recent graduates to his accounting firm — a point underscored when General Electric announced it was moving its headquarters from Connecticut last winter, citing, among other things, Boston's culture of highly educated young residents.

Traditionally, there haven't been enough accounting graduates in Connecticut, and it's hard to retain those who do graduate from colleges in the state, Sabol said.

Having a social life is important to college graduates, and the state is never going to make social opportunities in Hartford equal to those of Boston, he said.

"We are so close to these big cities, there is just no way to compete with them," Sabol said. "So if the kids want to go, they go."

In 2014, more than 17,000, or 7 percent, of young adults in the 20-to-24 age group moved out of Connecticut, according to recent U.S. Census data. Nationwide, Connecticut ranked 12th-worst among the contiguous 48 states.

Of the nearly 8,000 students who graduate from UConn yearly, about 57 percent stay in state, including 18 percent of the students who came here from other states to attend UConn, according to a 2014 report by UConn. The report estimated that working graduates since 1980 contribute $55.8 billion in additional income to the state's economy annually.

As Young Depart, State Looks For Strategies to Keep Them - Hartford Courant

Old 06-05-2016, 05:20 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Please stop the bickering. JayCT, Moderator

Old 06-05-2016, 05:24 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Wrong again Jay.

It is analysis based on a study by Bridgewater Associates which is a hedge fund, the website did not do the study.
I am not wrong. The website you linked is a company that sells gold as I said. Even Bridgewater is selling something. Find an independent source to reference for credibility. Jay

Old 06-05-2016, 05:27 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Another good quote

To keep these young people in Connecticut cities, McGee said, the state needs to build more middle-income housing and amenities, such as urban parks, festivals, outdoor concerts and bike trails. Cities such as Stamford, Norwalk and even New Haven and Hartford are starting to adapt this formula, investing in housing developments with amenities aimed at millennials.

"It's the excitement of urban living," McGee said. "In Connecticut, our cities have always been perceived as failures, and now we are beginning to see that change."

Old 06-05-2016, 05:43 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not wrong. The website you linked is a company that sells gold as I said. Even Bridgewater is selling something. Find an independent source to reference for credibility. Jay
Well if your definition of an independent source is someone who isn't selling anything, its going to be a little tough jay.

Should I only look at studies done by non profits? Even these groups tend to sometimes have some agenda.

I think Bridgewater's agenda is making money for their clients since they are a hedge fund. I found several sites that referenced the study one of which was selling gold.

The point is the CT pension system is 50% funded and is going bankrupt. All the other actuaries I talk to are saying the same thing.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:47 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Another good quote

To keep these young people in Connecticut cities, McGee said, the state needs to build more middle-income housing and amenities, such as urban parks, festivals, outdoor concerts and bike trails. Cities such as Stamford, Norwalk and even New Haven and Hartford are starting to adapt this formula, investing in housing developments with amenities aimed at millennials.

"It's the excitement of urban living," McGee said. "In Connecticut, our cities have always been perceived as failures, and now we are beginning to see that change."
Stamford and Norwalk aren't building middle income housing, it's all high end luxury. Beyond what McGee thinks, there is still a lot of assumption that would need to be shed. I don't know anyone from my uconn class that wanted to live in the Hartford metro after graduating, they all went to Boston or nyc with some in FFC or other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut