Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 05:11 AM

287 posts, read 623,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Those were just the starting prices. Adding in options brings the prices up pretty quickly. The spec home they are building is just under $800,000.

I had expected that they would sell a few homes there quickly (for some reason people seem to like Toll Brother homes), but to have so many already sold or under contract is surprising. I should add that there is another development out that way in East Glastonbury that is also building new homes and the builder there has built and sold a lot of homes in the last year. Added with this, that will be a nice increase in the town's Grand List. Jay
Very good for Glastonbury - hope the trends continues all over. Fairfield/Southport has some new home developments going for a minimum 2 million, and they're selling fast. Crazy, but great for CT!

Old 04-29-2015, 08:28 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Here's a company moving to CT. Medical device firm to open Enfield facility | HartfordBusiness.com

Nice to see these types of stories. Looks like they are going to offer some well paying jobs. More revenue for the State.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:12 AM

Hey,

I thought Malloy said "no tax increases." Pardon my ignorance but maybe the definition of 'NO' is switched with the word "EVERYTHING.' :SMACK:

From the caucus today it seems like new taxes will be added to services (be it B2B or end-user), increase tax (both income and capital gains) and businesses will be paying more. CT News Junkie | Finance Committee Broadens Sales Tax Rate, Increases Income Taxes

Seems to me you (CT LEG) raise tax on B2b services the end-user (consumer) is left paying a higher fee.

You know what, why not add a Road Usage Tax while were at it?!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:48 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Hey,

I thought Malloy said "no tax increases." Pardon my ignorance but maybe the definition of 'NO' is switched with the word "EVERYTHING.' :SMACK:

From the caucus today it seems like new taxes will be added to services (be it B2B or end-user), increase tax (both income and capital gains) and businesses will be paying more. CT News Junkie | Finance Committee Broadens Sales Tax Rate, Increases Income Taxes

Seems to me you (CT LEG) raise tax on B2b services the end-user (consumer) is left paying a higher fee.

You know what, why not add a Road Usage Tax while were at it?!
This not Malloy proposing tax increases. This is the state legislature. Will see if Malloy goes along with any of it. Jay

Old 04-29-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This not Malloy proposing tax increases. This is the state legislature. Will see if Malloy goes along with any of it. Jay
At this point, his hands are tied. I would be really surprised (and impressed) if he didn't go with the increases. With the income tax receipts coming in between $100m and $150M below estimate the deficit will likely be over $2B next fiscal year. The taxes will be a direct hit to the wealthy in FFC (and some in HC) which is not fair. Even the Courant ran an article stating it is a bad idea.

I guess we'll wait and see what they vote on come this afternoon.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:49 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
At this point, his hands are tied. I would be really surprised (and impressed) if he didn't go with the increases. With the income tax receipts coming in between $100m and $150M below estimate the deficit will likely be over $2B next fiscal year. The taxes will be a direct hit to the wealthy in FFC (and some in HC) which is not fair. Even the Courant ran an article stating it is a bad idea.

I guess we'll wait and see what they vote on come this afternoon.
When the Courant says its a bad idea, you know its really bad. And Malloy's hands aren't tied - he can always threaten to veto it. And the Reps made decent gains in the house and senate in 2014, so there is the possibility that they get enough Dems to join with them to block it in either the house or the senate. I don't think this is a done deal by any means.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
When the Courant says its a bad idea, you know its really bad. And Malloy's hands aren't tied - he can always threaten to veto it. And the Reps made decent gains in the house and senate in 2014, so there is the possibility that they get enough Dems to join with them to block it in either the house or the senate. I don't think this is a done deal by any means.
I hope you are right.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:23 AM

I heard this the other day and it took me by surprise a bit. Couple years ago CT gave them a bunch of money to move. Now they are looking to sell the entire company or spin off divisions. Sell-off of the entire company is not specifically said but it is "not off the table". http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/30/bu...ding-sale.html

The GE Capital being sold off, Starwood Hotel looking to get out of businesses/sell company and UTC looking at the potential sale of Sikorsky 2016 has potential to be a major hit to the region.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:57 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
I heard this the other day and it took me by surprise a bit. Couple years ago CT gave them a bunch of money to move. Now they are looking to sell the entire company or spin off divisions. Sell-off of the entire company is not specifically said but it is "not off the table". http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/30/bu...ding-sale.html

The GE Capital being sold off, Starwood Hotel looking to get out of businesses/sell company and UTC looking at the potential sale of Sikorsky 2016 has potential to be a major hit to the region.
I would be surprised if Sikorski gets spun off, much less sold. I think UTC might be seeing what potential buyers *might* pay for it with little actual commitment. Could also be that UTC wants to pivot more to high-tech security government contracts which IMO would be a terrible long term move.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I would be surprised if Sikorski gets spun off, much less sold. I think UTC might be seeing what potential buyers *might* pay for it with little actual commitment. Could also be that UTC wants to pivot more to high-tech security government contracts which IMO would be a terrible long term move.
Reading this article, it sounds like it will happen.What's next for Sikorsky? - Fortune

Sikorsky doesn't fit into UTC anymore. The new CEO wants to take the direction of building systems, not defense. The article states that it is not as profitable anymore to keep. We'll have to wait and see. Sometime in June-July they'll have their analyst complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut