Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 01:29 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Check this out. There is a glitch. I don't know why there is double map. It makes it twice as bad.
Thanks for posting this. I have said on this forum, time and time again, that CT pays among the highest utility rates in the continental USA.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:32 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,113 times
Also shows why EV cars are not as cheap to run here in Ct....especially in winter when efficiency suffers.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:40 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post

Consequences....

Even $15 isnt enough to compete with all the social programs....thats the problem. Further its making it worse.
For most getting a state guaranteed raise each year to $15 robs motivation to do any more.

I covered this before, but here it is again. A single person who works full time at CT's current min wage of $10.10 per hour doesn't qualify for any "welfare benefits". A min wage worker would gross $21,008 per year if working 40 hours. That puts them over the fed poverty limit of approx $12,500 and the medicaid limit of approx $16,500.

The only subsidy the person above could receive is one to purchase health insurance under the ACA.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:01 PM

537 posts, read 331,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I covered this before, but here it is again. A single person who works full time at CT's current min wage of $10.10 per hour doesn't qualify for any "welfare benefits". A min wage worker would gross $21,008 per year if working 40 hours. That puts them over the fed poverty limit of approx $12,500 and the medicaid limit of approx $16,500.

The only subsidy the person above could receive is one to purchase health insurance under the ACA.
If that person has one child they can qualify for all sorts of aid. Husky A plan is one of them.
https://www.ct.gov/hh/cwp/view.asp?a...421548&hhNav=|

Old 02-20-2019, 02:11 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
If that person has one child they can qualify for all sorts of aid. Husky A plan is one of them.
https://www.ct.gov/hh/cwp/view.asp?a...421548&hhNav=|

My example is of a single person earning the min wage in CT. The "single able bodied person" is somewhat of a mythical figure in a lot of welfare threads. In other states such as Florida a single able bodied person can not qualify for anything including medicaid.

As for your person with a child they still do not qualify for any welfare other than medicaid (aka husky) if their income is above approx $16,200 a year. Which a min wage worker in CT working 40 hours a week will exceed.

Since CT expanded medicaid under the ACA a person can earn up to 400% of the FPL and still qualify for ACA health insurance subsidies.

Just to reiterate a person with one child can not and does not qualify for "all sorts of aid" if working 40 hrs at CT;'s min wage despite what you've been told.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:18 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
As for your person with a child they still do not qualify for any welfare other than medicaid (aka husky) if their income is above approx $16,200 a year. Which a min wage worker in CT working 40 hours a week will exceed.
Unless the numbers have changed drastically, they'd still be eligible for food stamps and energy assistance.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:55 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Let’s avoid the corporate greed claim for the purpose of this discussion and talk about why people think employers are all of the sudden being shamed into making careers out of grocery store bagging instead of it being simply a job. Do realize that when government mandates these low skilled jobs be paid more via raising minimum wage, unions of public servants (teachers, cops) will fight to get their members an equal raise, effectively raising your taxes, and rightfully so.

But what’s really going to happen is something we’re seeing already; automated customer service. If the progressives continue to push for highly paid low skilled employees, companies will always find a way out of it.
BINGO. The $15 mw in NYC, in the low skilled sector, has reduced employment amongst the group. I have seen it in one Bronx company after another.

In my teens, I did bag groceries a few months at Stop & Shop Milford, worked at a drug store, then telemarketing. I knew, even then, it was just a "get feet wet in employment world" thing, and that is how these jobs should be utilized. I was going to college, got my degrees, and got real, adult jobs. It is not any retailers fault the 45 year old thought high school was plenty of education in the 21st century. It is not up to retail to subsidize such employees neglect of developing their skill sets.

Companies are not hostages. Raise any costs on them, and as alternative options offer, they take the options and eliminate the excess cost. One FTE at a time.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:26 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,793 times
Couple things on this budget.

I see the boat tax is back up...so much for buying a boat in CT. I’ll be looking in RI.
I see real estate- does that mean a 6.35% tax on homes when you purchase them?

Old 02-20-2019, 06:57 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,113 times
Quote:

Ive said it before too. This is why most choose not to work full time.......

Old 02-21-2019, 06:52 AM

537 posts, read 331,034 times
Quote:
My example is of a single person earning the min wage in CT. The "single able bodied person" is somewhat of a mythical figure in a lot of welfare threads. In other states such as Florida a single able bodied person can not qualify for anything including medicaid.

Since CT expanded medicaid under the ACA a person can earn up to 400% of the FPL and still qualify for ACA health insurance subsidies.

Just to reiterate a person with one child can not and does not qualify for "all sorts of aid" if working 40 hrs at CT;'s min wage despite what you've been told.
That child would also get free meals at school (breakfast and lunch)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut