Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 08:25 AM

14,058 posts, read 13,953,593 times

Advertisements

Too many taxes in CT

Old 02-21-2019, 11:35 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,458,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
Check this out. There is a glitch. I don't know why there is double map. It makes it twice as bad.

Electric is stupid expensive here. You ask eversource they say it's because were so densly populated, but of course that means every mile of infrastructure has more paying customers then a state out West so that seems to be a false argument. It really seems the real reason is CLP and eversource deferred to much of the infrastructural improvements and repair for so long that now they have to charge more to bring it to current specs. Or some one was stealing massive amounts of cash which I also think is possible.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:09 PM

377 posts, read 241,530 times
$ 15 minimum wage coming to CT ? Look here.

"Over the past four years, the minimum wage for New York City restaurants that employ more than 10 workers went from $10.50 an hour to $15. That's a whopping 43% increase. Next year, every restaurant, big and small, will have to pay their workers at least $15 an hour.

In just the last three months of last year, 4,000 workers lost jobs at full-service restaurants, Bureau of Labor Statistics data show.

By the end of last year, there were fewer restaurant workers in the city than in November 2016. Even though overall employment climbed by more than 163,000.

A New York City Hospitality Alliance survey found that 47% of full-service restaurants expect to cut jobs this year to cope with the latest wage hike. Last year, 36% said they'd eliminated jobs. The picture is worse at limited-service restaurants. The survey found half reported cutting jobs last year. And 53% say they'll do so this year.

"It usually takes an economic recession to cause year-over-year job losses at NYC's full-service restaurants," notes economist Mark Perry, "so it's likely that this is a 'restaurant recession' tied to the annual series of minimum-wage hikes that brought the city's minimum wage to $15 an hour at the end of last year."

Old 02-21-2019, 12:21 PM

255 posts, read 205,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
BINGO. The $15 mw in NYC, in the low skilled sector, has reduced employment amongst the group. I have seen it in one Bronx company after another.

In my teens, I did bag groceries a few months at Stop & Shop Milford, worked at a drug store, then telemarketing. I knew, even then, it was just a "get feet wet in employment world" thing, and that is how these jobs should be utilized. I was going to college, got my degrees, and got real, adult jobs. It is not any retailers fault the 45 year old thought high school was plenty of education in the 21st century. It is not up to retail to subsidize such employees neglect of developing their skill sets.

Companies are not hostages. Raise any costs on them, and as alternative options offer, they take the options and eliminate the excess cost. One FTE at a time.
My early employment in high school into college was similar as was my mindset- onward and upward track. Bob is absolutely correct.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
That child would also get free meals at school (breakfast and lunch)
Maybe, It would be a close call.
The maximum gross income for a family of two is $ 21,398
Reduced price meals, the maximum gross income for a family of 2 would be $ 30,452

Old 02-21-2019, 02:49 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,840,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
That child would also get free meals at school (breakfast and lunch)

Who cares ? You don't want kids to eat ? Free school lunch has a value of about 1 dollar. Breakfast I don't know, but lets say its .50 cents. That;s 1.50 per day or $270 a year for 180 days. That's a joke when billion dollar companies like Amazon are getting billion dollars in tax subsidies.

In CT Malloy gave bridgewater, a profitable hedge fund, $20 million dollars in tax incentives. That's what needs to stop.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:46 PM

34,072 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
$ 15 minimum wage coming to CT ? Look here.

"Over the past four years, the minimum wage for New York City restaurants that employ more than 10 workers went from $10.50 an hour to $15. That's a whopping 43% increase. Next year, every restaurant, big and small, will have to pay their workers at least $15 an hour.

In just the last three months of last year, 4,000 workers lost jobs at full-service restaurants, Bureau of Labor Statistics data show.

By the end of last year, there were fewer restaurant workers in the city than in November 2016. Even though overall employment climbed by more than 163,000.

A New York City Hospitality Alliance survey found that 47% of full-service restaurants expect to cut jobs this year to cope with the latest wage hike. Last year, 36% said they'd eliminated jobs. The picture is worse at limited-service restaurants. The survey found half reported cutting jobs last year. And 53% say they'll do so this year.

"It usually takes an economic recession to cause year-over-year job losses at NYC's full-service restaurants," notes economist Mark Perry, "so it's likely that this is a 'restaurant recession' tied to the annual series of minimum-wage hikes that brought the city's minimum wage to $15 an hour at the end of last year."
Can you link that please? I do believe you, as I work In NYC. Just like to see the full report.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:45 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,492,796 times
Has anyone heard what the heck is happening to the UConn west Hartford campus? It’s radio silence. The only news I saw lately is that they are changing the C-suite like crazy and not planning on moving to the campus til 2020.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:05 PM

34,952 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Has anyone heard what the heck is happening to the UConn west Hartford campus? It’s radio silence. The only news I saw lately is that they are changing the C-suite like crazy and not planning on moving to the campus til 2020.
The buildings there need a lot of remediation which I believe they are doing now. I don’t think it was ever in their plans to move in this year. Jay

Old 02-22-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Can you link that please? I do believe you, as I work In NYC. Just like to see the full report.
Sorry Bob, I actually didn't have a link to the full report, but the information was within a summary that I happened to run across.
However , articles @
CBCNews.com
Fortune
NY City Housing Alliance
say similar things.

They mention the report by the US Labor Department, and come up with similar conclusions. I was unable to locate the full report. When I have more time , I will try and find it.

As a rule I don't post links as it may be construed as work product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut