Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 07:36 AM

50 posts, read 130,707 times

Advertisements

No real effort to reduce spending at all. What a fiscal mess. Property taxes at 100% of appraised value! The housing market hasn't recovered from the market crash of 08 - 09. This is not going to help. A more "progressive" income tax and raise the sales tax!

The state already has a very negative ranking for taxes, cost of living, economy and retirees. This is going to make it worse.

I feel sorry for CT residents. This is just another blow to a once vibrant state. I'm glad we left 6 months ago. I just wish my children ad their families could get out.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:52 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
More layoffs of state workers may be coming if negotiations with the unions do not go as the Governor wants. As many as 1,100 more layoffs could occur which is on top of the 1,000 that were laid off last year. Jay

Layoffs may be ahead for 1,100 state workers - Connecticut Post
Why threaten? Just cut them now. Maybe that will get the attention of the unions. Malloy may be a lame duck, but he's freed from kow towing to the unions for reelection.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:02 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
How about taxes on the pension payments to retired state and municipal employees? The state can use the proceeds to contribute to the under funded pensions. Win win, no?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 AM

504 posts, read 384,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
How about taxes on the pension payments to retired state and municipal employees? The state can use the proceeds to contribute to the under funded pensions. Win win, no?
Haha pensions going back into pensions. The State can really put a spin on that.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 AM

519 posts, read 582,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

Property tax is essentially a 30% increase a year! of course, that hits the middle class more than anyone.
Unless I am missing something, this issue is solely optics. Towns are not constrained by 70% of property value to raise more monies as the mill rate is 100% controlled by town. Towns back into mill rate based upon spending needs instead of the reverse sadly.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:14 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
The lawmakers of this state need to wake up and start realizing they can't solve these budget woes with continued tax hikes. If they had even a rudimentary understanding of economics, they would understand that. We had the option to legalize marijuana and tax it, the way Massachusetts has done. But no, we would lose our puritanism and New Englandiness if we did that (to which I say, who cares) so apparently it's easier to just pile more tax burdens on the backs of citizens.

And people wonder why I can no longer defend this state and am contemplating leaving. And before any of you retort with the "no county tax" card or justify the taxes as a way to keep our quality of life, lest we forget, the last 2 largest tax hikes in our state's history did nothing to improve quality of life for anyone except government employees and people on public assistance. This state government needs an enema.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM

34,934 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Why threaten? Just cut them now. Maybe that will get the attention of the unions. Malloy may be a lame duck, but he's freed from kow towing to the unions for reelection.
The problem with that is he then risks alienating the unions and state employees. Despite what people think, it is usually better to work with them than to just cut them off like that. There could be strikes and lawsuits and things would get even messier than they are now. Jay

Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I don't see where Connecticut is wildly out of line with the national average or the New England / NY tri-state average.

Here are 2014 per-capita spending numbers broken out by state and by category.
State and Local General Expenditures, Per Capita | Tax Policy Center

K-12 education is a bit high which isn't surprising for a powerful teacher union state with really cushy benefits. I suspect the problem is the huge disparity caused by using local property taxes to fund K-12 public education. Massachusetts and California use state money to make up for property tax limitation ballot initiatives. Vermont has a state school property tax so a Greenwich and a Bridgeport pay the same property tax rate for the school part of taxes.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:06 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric51 View Post
No real effort to reduce spending at all. What a fiscal mess. Property taxes at 100% of appraised value! The housing market hasn't recovered from the market crash of 08 - 09. This is not going to help. A more "progressive" income tax and raise the sales tax!

The state already has a very negative ranking for taxes, cost of living, economy and retirees. This is going to make it worse.

I feel sorry for CT residents. This is just another blow to a once vibrant state. I'm glad we left 6 months ago. I just wish my children ad their families could get out.
The trouble is where to cut. Our spending is slightly higher on welfare then other states but about midpack for other spending. In fact in a number of categories we under spend per capita. The reason for our problems is huge debt and unfunded pensions that were kicked down the road for decades. We don't outspend other states anymore we just have idiots who put us in debt for the last 40 years. If you take out debt service and unfunded pensions CT would actually be close to the top of the list for least state spending per capita. Amazing but true. We have no choice due to past mistakes but to have high taxes and low services. If I'm looking correctly at the numbers we in fact spend about the same as TN on services provided by the state they just have a way lower debt load.

Also side note our state spending includes 21% of funding from the federal government TN on the other hand gets 41%. CT is also about average for pension benefits thanks to reductions over the years.

Which states pay the most generous public pension benefits? • AEI

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2015/rpt/pdf/2015-R-0267.pdf

https://ballotpedia.org/Total_state_...t_expenditures

Old 04-21-2017, 12:12 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't see where Connecticut is wildly out of line with the national average or the New England / NY tri-state average.

Here are 2014 per-capita spending numbers broken out by state and by category.
State and Local General Expenditures, Per Capita | Tax Policy Center

K-12 education is a bit high which isn't surprising for a powerful teacher union state with really cushy benefits. I suspect the problem is the huge disparity caused by using local property taxes to fund K-12 public education. Massachusetts and California use state money to make up for property tax limitation ballot initiatives. Vermont has a state school property tax so a Greenwich and a Bridgeport pay the same property tax rate for the school part of taxes.
Yeah exactly. And education is one of those big reasons people live here so cutting that makes little sense.

We always joke about treating the state budget like a personal budget and here is what we have.

You make 1600 a month

your spending 600 a month on a crappy apartment

your spending 200 a month on food

your spending 200 a month on gas and car expenses to get to work

your spending another 200 on electric heat and phone

and you have 600 a month in credit card debt.

There are no really great solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut