Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 08:45 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,183,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
sad, but true
Sigh... except those that have expanded, moved, or started here...

Old 06-12-2019, 08:53 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
While I don’t agree that Connecticut could have done anything to change UTC’s or Raytheon’s decision to locate their merged company’s headquarters in Massachusetts, some of these are good suggestions are worth pursuing. Jay

https://www.courant.com/opinion/op-e...5zy-story.html
I do agree this one cannot be blamed on politicians. Many prior ones should be blamed on politicians.

Sad, still, of course.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:52 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
UTC CEO Greg Hayes says it’s “patently false” that Massachusetts was selected for the UTC-Raytheon headquarters because of taxes. Jay

https://www.courant.com/politics/cap...xw4-story.html
Quote:
While I don’t agree that Connecticut could have done anything to change UTC’s or Raytheon’s decision to locate their merged company’s headquarters in Massachusetts, some of these are good suggestions are worth pursuing. Jay

Companies and/or people don't move to Massachusetts to save on taxes. That just plain ridiculous.

Mergers and acquisitions are standard practice across all business sectors nowadays. No one should be surprised by this.

Its also another way that top level executives can peel off equity and cash. The people who orchestrate these deals are smarter than the rest of us (including Govt) and know exactly what they are doing. Never doubt that.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:02 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:

This is a very good article with information that can be beneficial. You’re comin’ around, Jay.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:11 PM

413 posts, read 317,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I do agree this one cannot be blamed on politicians. Many prior ones should be blamed on politicians. Sad, still, of course.

The politicians especially Democrats are completely totally at fault. This is must reading.

https://www.courant.com/opinion/op-e...se4-story.html

Here' a key point. Here’s a sobering fact that garners little attention in our public policy debates: Connecticut has fewer students to educate. The combined effects of the loss of jobs, the flight of families and the shrinking economy contributed to a decrease in the number of school-age children in the state.

Yep, the terrible economic policies that have costs the state jobs for years have lingering effects that keep the spiral headed downward.

Here's another important point. Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden eggs. The health care insurance industry, which provides tens of thousands of state jobs, felt like it was under siege from state government this spring. State Comptroller Kevin Lembo proposed that the state government go into the health insurance business and compete with Connecticut companies. Lamont’s support of the proposal ebbed and flowed. The details of the proposal were revealed late in the session and prompted a ferocious reaction by health insurance companies and other state businesses. U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat, recently announced he supports a Medicare-for-All proposal that could eliminate private health insurance. In any iteration, if that idea becomes law, Connecticut could lose thousands of high-paying jobs.

The sheer insanity of the state legislature attacking the state's most important industry shows how out of touch and self-sabotaging Democrats have become.

This is how the article ends.

Here’s a suggestion that’s free. Our political leaders would help the state’s economy by ceasing to act like they loathe the people who take the risks that generate the money that funds state government. They may not like them when they are here, but they miss them when they’re gone.

One last thought. If Connecticut had no state income tax, does anyone believe any CEO would move his business to Massachusetts? It is the taxes, no matter what anyone says.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:30 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is a very good article with information that can be beneficial. You’re comin’ around, Jay.
All ideas in the column should be implemented.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:46 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
Yet Charter is building their headquarters in Stamford. Indeed is adding 500 jobs in Stamford. Henkel moved from Arizona to Stamford. Infosys is adding 1,000 jobs in Hartford. Ideanomics Is coming to UConn’s former West Hartford campus. Pratt & Whitney is expanding. Electric Boat is expanding here. Hartford has been named by Glassdoor as one of the five top places to find a job. New Haven has been named the top place that Millennials are moving to. I am not sure how much more people want or expect. Jay
Idk what happened, but Ideanomics you might want to scratch that off the list. Apparently they had a little back and forth with Lamont and now Ideanomics is stopping all work on the HQ.

I couldn’t follow the article too close because the two people named in the article were Poor and Slap. Maybe I was reading the onion.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:21 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Idk what happened, but Ideanomics you might want to scratch that off the list. Apparently they had a little back and forth with Lamont and now Ideanomics is stopping all work on the HQ.

I couldn’t follow the article too close because the two people named in the article were Poor and Slap. Maybe I was reading the onion.
You are right that there was apparently an issue with this that put the project on hold BUT isf you read the article fully The company CEO Alfred Poor says that he met with Lamont and the issue appears to have been resolved.

This article really annoys me because it begins by making it sound the whole project is dead but if you read it carefully the actual outcome is the issues were resolved. Talk about click-bait. Jay

https://www.courant.com/community/we...oay-story.html

Old 06-14-2019, 08:21 AM

413 posts, read 317,391 times
The president and CEO of Ideanomics has suspended all work on a proposed financial technology center at the former UConn campus in West Hartford, citing “regrettable and unreconcilable differences with the State of Connecticut."

Lamont is off to a blazing start.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:41 AM

50 posts, read 30,567 times
Quote:
You are right that there was apparently an issue with this that put the project on hold BUT isf you read the article fully The company CEO Alfred Poor says that he met with Lamont and the issue appears to have been resolved.

This article really annoys me because it begins by making it sound the whole project is dead but if you read it carefully the actual outcome is the issues were resolved. Talk about click-bait. Jay

https://www.courant.com/community/we...oay-story.html
Doesn’t seem like click bait to me.I didn’t see where the ceo said the issues were resolved, in fact he declined to comment on the recent meeting.The West Hartford mayor did say that they were hopeful after the meeting that it would move forward, maybe you are confusing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut