Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2019, 04:01 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
And it is the refusal to accept the facts that is most concerning.
Yes it is. Jay

Old 07-24-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNiteCruisin View Post
True: GE moved in and Malloy made it seem like it was no great shakes to CT. Keep voting for these inept lumps. I really love Bloomy Mr. stolen valor worth 80 million dollars. Oh he invested well on his 174k gov.salary.
Yes, because the Connecticut Republican Party has shown such great leadership. I suggest you read the Connecticut Republican Party - Will it Change with the Times thread for examples of how the party has failed our state. Here is a link to it. Jay

https://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...nge-times.html

Old 07-24-2019, 04:24 PM

570 posts, read 477,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
To my knowledge, A&E and Discovery do not have any offices in Connecticut. A&E is based in New York. Discovery in Maryland. Be interested to know where he worked and is looking since it kind of shows that age discrimination is not exclusive to our state. Jay
I don't think it is age discrimination so much as salary discrimination. Young people can be had for less, period. Employers will try to get 10 years + experience but pay them lower salaries. There seems to be no negotiation. They will wait it out and extend hirings until they get someone desperate. It will get worse bc people are starting families later and need peak income through 50s. I would ask that people get a map of the United States and draw a big red circle starting from Philly through NJ, NYC, CT and finish in Boston. Why? Pew did a study of where H1B visa workers ended up bw 2010 -2016. Approx 850k H1B workers were in the US and 350k ended up in that red circle, about 40%. That is insane and I am astonished that we debate why it is getting harder to survive here. Big corps have a plethora of cheap labor options and they are using and abusing it...unchecked by our govt., even cheered by them, like Infosys Hartford site. A lead development engineer should not be paid 75k in crazy expensive area like FFC yet there it is hanging in the office kitchen. Gee, wonder why wages are stagnating and home prices getting beat up.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:34 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9Vette View Post
My brother is in the same position. 54 years old worked for A&E and Discovery Channel for 27 years. Now looking for work. He gave up. He was in sales and marketing. Napa offered him a job at 12.50 per hour. That's good pay for his kids 2nd year tuition at Hofstra U right?

I know many like him in Ct. Perhaps try Amazon, although its grueling work. At least they seem past the days when at Pa DC, ambulances were stationed outside all day.

I was making that tele-marketing 35 years ago during college. OMG.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:39 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer View Post
The Harford, New Haven and Bridgeport metro areas were the three slowest-growing job markets in the country over the past five years, according to a new report from a national mortgage insurance company. Not among the slowest-- "the three slowest."

Nothing to see here. Everything is fine. Connecticut has no economic problem.

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...bhm-story.html

Even I had not realized we had achieved this horrible trifecta.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:57 PM

21 posts, read 18,493 times
Quote:
To my knowledge, A&E and Discovery do not have any offices in Connecticut. A&E is based in New York. Discovery in Maryland. Be interested to know where he worked and is looking since it kind of shows that age discrimination is not exclusive to our state. Jay
He worked in Manhattan. Ran the Metro for years.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:38 PM

21 posts, read 18,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
I don't think it is age discrimination so much as salary discrimination. Young people can be had for less, period. Employers will try to get 10 years + experience but pay them lower salaries. There seems to be no negotiation. They will wait it out and extend hirings until they get someone desperate. It will get worse bc people are starting families later and need peak income through 50s. I would ask that people get a map of the United States and draw a big red circle starting from Philly through NJ, NYC, CT and finish in Boston. Why? Pew did a study of where H1B visa workers ended up bw 2010 -2016. Approx 850k H1B workers were in the US and 350k ended up in that red circle, about 40%. That is insane and I am astonished that we debate why it is getting harder to survive here. Big corps have a plethora of cheap labor options and they are using and abusing it...unchecked by our govt., even cheered by them, like Infosys Hartford site. A lead development engineer should not be paid 75k in crazy expensive area like FFC yet there it is hanging in the office kitchen. Gee, wonder why wages are stagnating and home prices getting beat up.
Bingo!! The wet behind the ears greenhorns are the ones coming up now. My brother told me that many of his clients called him and asked him to come back. The newbies lack the social and camaraderie of the old goats.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:55 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
A&E Networks does have a Stamford office and has for a while

Old 07-26-2019, 01:37 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Age discrimination happens everywhere, not just CT. That said, the states that have significant job growth (like TX, FL, CA) have more available jobs so older, unemployed job seekers have more available to them.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
A&E Networks does have a Stamford office and has for a while
Their website does not list a Stamford office. The OP indicated the brother worked in New York. Just saying. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut