Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2023, 04:51 PM

34,056 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

It was refreshing to see David's Bridal file a preliminary WARN layoff notice. ESPN has not done so yet, which violates that law.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It was refreshing to see David's Bridal file a preliminary WARN layoff notice. ESPN has not done so yet, which violates that law.
As I’ve advise people all the time, contact your State Representative and State Senator and demand that the state enforce this law. If enough people complain they will do something to enforce the law which likely means fines. Jay

Old 04-25-2023, 09:33 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Modular construction company moves from Brooklyn to Hamden with potential 100 jobs:

https://ctnewsjunkie.com/2023/04/24/...ork-to-hamden/

Old 04-28-2023, 07:04 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
New York City is the wealthiest city in the world, beating out other major hubs like Tokyo, London, and Hong Kong.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...78ff3beb&ei=43

As a reminder about 1/2 of the CT population is in the NYC metropolitan area so this is a huge influence on our state.
Economic Climate in CT-new_york_metropolitan_area.jpg

Old 04-28-2023, 09:33 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
New York City is the wealthiest city in the world, beating out other major hubs like Tokyo, London, and Hong Kong.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...78ff3beb&ei=43

As a reminder about 1/2 of the CT population is in the NYC metropolitan area so this is a huge influence on our state.
Attachment 243023
I mean it should be, it has 22+ million people. On a per capita basis, and a fellow NYC employee in NJ, we have some work to do. Lets not glamorize/white wash our city. Real New Yorkers are getting pushed out everyday and being replaced with tech transplants. Bodegas and that NYC culture is slowly being replaced with restaurants that serve the same style of 'eclectic' food. NYC has a big risk going into the 2020s of completely losing its culture and this could ripple across the MSA in terms of affordability, job access and diversity.

Nitpicking- but, it is a bit of a stretch to call New Haven and Litchfield County, the New York City Area. What you are looking at is the Combined Statistical Area, which are now not updated or used in any practical planning measure. Connecticut's new 'county equivalents' would precisely place the Western Connecticut District in the New York MSA by 2030, which is roughly 2/3 of Fairfield County, including towns like Danbury, Greenwich, Stanford and Norwalk.

While its no doubt that Bridgeport and New Haven have NYC influence, for sure, they are pretty independent economies with less than 2% of their population's regularly commuting into NYC. Maybe that will change again in the near future with expanded rail.. but for now, Litchfield and New Haven County are not NYC MSA, and never will be.

Old 04-28-2023, 09:36 AM

6,911 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I mean it should be, it has 22+ million people.

A bit of a stretch to call New Haven and Litchfield County, the New York City Area. What you are looking at is the Combined Statistical Area, which are now not updated or used in any practical planning measure.

Connecticut's new 'county equivalents' would precisely place the Western Connecticut District in the New York MSA by 2030, which is roughly 2/3 of Fairfield County, including towns like Danbury, Greenwich, Stanford and Norwalk.

While its no doubt that Bridgeport and New Haven have NYC influence, for sure, they are pretty independent economies with less than 2% of their population's regularly commuting into NYC. Maybe that will change again in the near future with expanded rail.. but for now, Litchfield and New Haven County are not NYC MSA, and never will be.
Yes NYC wealth bleeds up to about Fairfield town but that's about it. Litchfield is popular for wealthy NYer's second or third weekend home out in the country. The rest of CT stands on it's own merits.
Well done. Keep up the good work.

Old 04-28-2023, 09:41 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Yes NYC wealth bleeds up to about Fairfield town but that's about it. Litchfield is popular for wealthy NYer's second or third weekend home out in the country. The rest of CT stands on it's own merits.
Well done. Keep up the good work.
I agree with this assessment. While I believe OP had good intentions, it is almost a back hand compliment to the rest of Connecticut by saying New Haven and Torrington have to depend on NYC's sphere of influence to survive, when that could not be further from the truth. New Haven has an extremely strong economy and places like Norwalk, Stamford and Bridgeport overlap to some degree (More with Stamford, less with Bridgeport) with multiple economic powerhouses. This is probably why the area is blowing up and as desirable as it is.

The way they used to (Emphasis on used to) put Litchfield County in the New York City MSA is absurd just because wealthy New Yorkers had homes there. Thats like putting Grafton County NH in the Boston MSA, or Cape May County NJ in NYC MSA just because there are so many people from the dominant city buying homes there as vacation rentals. But I digress, Belknap County somehow is in Boston MSA... so there are faults with all of these MSA things.

My main overall point is, much more of CT is independent with a solid economy than one might think. Especially New Haven. Connecticut is not as dependent on NYC as you may think even though the wealth certainly bleeds over to about 20 or so towns/cities. CT is way more resilient than that IMHO

Old 04-28-2023, 10:33 AM

809 posts, read 469,544 times
Quote:
I mean it should be, it has 22+ million people. On a per capita basis, and a fellow NYC employee in NJ, we have some work to do. Lets not glamorize/white wash our city. Real New Yorkers are getting pushed out everyday and being replaced with tech transplants. Bodegas and that NYC culture is slowly being replaced with restaurants that serve the same style of 'eclectic' food. NYC has a big risk going into the 2020s of completely losing its culture and this could ripple across the MSA in terms of affordability, job access and diversity.

Nitpicking- but, it is a bit of a stretch to call New Haven and Litchfield County, the New York City Area. What you are looking at is the Combined Statistical Area, which are now not updated or used in any practical planning measure. Connecticut's new 'county equivalents' would precisely place the Western Connecticut District in the New York MSA by 2030, which is roughly 2/3 of Fairfield County, including towns like Danbury, Greenwich, Stanford and Norwalk.

I'll give you New Haven. Re: Bridgeport - it's tough because it is squarely in the NYC TV market (that's a big deal) and is definitely impacted by supply chains (goods and services) originating or influenced by NYC. Anything that has a Metro-North connection to Grand Central is going to be in play despite the obvious gradients in terms of sphere of influence.

The RPA uses the NYC CSA by the way - which is a "practical" purpose as their reports heavily influence policy, as you know.

What that said, I fully expect Western CT COG to be in the NYC MSA by 2030 if not sooner for official government reporting and resource allocation purposes.

CT is more independent than most folks think - yes. Also, there's no shame in noting NYC's influence on our economy and state tax receipts (it's def not a Nevada situation as we have a strong manufacturing base and generally high education metrics - also CT doesn't feel cheap like some of the tax arbitrage states adjacent to big ones such as AZ and NV - maybe due to our long state history).

Even the Gov. said that when NYC proper (not NY State) sneezes, CT catches a cold. It's just a massive massive region in terms of economic output and population vs. something like Boston so our state leaders for better or worse have to pay attention to it (which they do - we have state partnerships with both NJ/NY and New England reflecting this duality).

Last edited by norcal2k19; 04-28-2023 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-28-2023, 10:45 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
I agree with this assessment. While I believe OP had good intentions, it is almost a back hand compliment to the rest of Connecticut by saying New Haven and Torrington have to depend on NYC's sphere of influence to survive, when that could not be further from the truth. New Haven has an extremely strong economy and places like Norwalk, Stamford and Bridgeport overlap to some degree (More with Stamford, less with Bridgeport) with multiple economic powerhouses. This is probably why the area is blowing up and as desirable as it is.

The way they used to (Emphasis on used to) put Litchfield County in the New York City MSA is absurd just because wealthy New Yorkers had homes there. Thats like putting Grafton County NH in the Boston MSA, or Cape May County NJ in NYC MSA just because there are so many people from the dominant city buying homes there as vacation rentals. But I digress, Belknap County somehow is in Boston MSA... so there are faults with all of these MSA things.

My main overall point is, much more of CT is independent with a solid economy than one might think. Especially New Haven. Connecticut is not as dependent on NYC as you may think even though the wealth certainly bleeds over to about 20 or so towns/cities. CT is way more resilient than that IMHO
I've been saying this for years, here and in public. NYC is basically a non-issue for CT's economy, very much including Fairfield County. Calling it a suburb of NYC has to really stretch any traditional definition of metropolitan area to the point of absurdity. It's economy is more localized and enmeshed with the global economy than NYC's is (which despite being a world finance centre is very connected to the US's economy for a whole host of reasons). RE values both commercial and residential are very divorced except when experiencing the overall trends of the national market. And while technically in the "NYC" media market it is largely ignored by the major and minor outlets almost completely.

I love that every so often there are fluff pieces that try to gauge FFC's resident areas ties to NYC and are always shocked that... the place is an after thought .

This actually has a pretty negative effect on CT's growth, economy, and transit planning.

Old 04-28-2023, 01:10 PM

809 posts, read 469,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I've been saying this for years, here and in public. NYC is basically a non-issue for CT's economy, very much including Fairfield County. Calling it a suburb of NYC has to really stretch any traditional definition of metropolitan area to the point of absurdity. It's economy is more localized and enmeshed with the global economy than NYC's is (which despite being a world finance centre is very connected to the US's economy for a whole host of reasons). RE values both commercial and residential are very divorced except when experiencing the overall trends of the national market. And while technically in the "NYC" media market it is largely ignored by the major and minor outlets almost completely.

I love that every so often there are fluff pieces that try to gauge FFC's resident areas ties to NYC and are always shocked that... the place is an after thought .

This actually has a pretty negative effect on CT's growth, economy, and transit planning.
Idk - like I understand your points and some like how localized parts of the economy are make some sense.

Folks see CT on NYC-based news every day if they for example look at the weather reports. For the more heinous stuff, yes, CT doesn't show up often because it's a relatively quiet place in such a massive media market. This is why News 12 in Norwalk has filled the gap in the Western CT and parts of NH County. Heck even local CT news besides News 12 have spotty coverage of FFC, expect for maybe Channel 8, which is New Haven based. FFC is heaven for a news nerd btw - so many different sources including small independent local town sources too.

As for as CT being an afterthought in NYC media, now in terms of actual operations that's not the case. NBC Sports, YES (Yankees TV), Spectrum/Charter (Cable/ISP), and WWE all have major offices in Stamford.

re: negative effect on CT's growth, economy, and transit planning - I'd need to see more evidence about this.

Part of it also is on our CT reps to advocate for what we need. The infrastructure bill is going to bring a ton of new investment to our rails (NE Corridor). We also need to really think about how to make intra-state rail connections more user-friendly and impactful along with continuing easy to implement BRT solutions.

We're working on the economy bit, which is improving incrementally albeit from a very high base already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut