Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2023, 02:07 PM

250 posts, read 138,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I agree with this assessment. While I believe OP had good intentions, it is almost a back hand compliment to the rest of Connecticut by saying New Haven and Torrington have to depend on NYC's sphere of influence to survive, when that could not be further from the truth. New Haven has an extremely strong economy and places like Norwalk, Stamford and Bridgeport overlap to some degree (More with Stamford, less with Bridgeport) with multiple economic powerhouses. This is probably why the area is blowing up and as desirable as it is.

The way they used to (Emphasis on used to) put Litchfield County in the New York City MSA is absurd just because wealthy New Yorkers had homes there. Thats like putting Grafton County NH in the Boston MSA, or Cape May County NJ in NYC MSA just because there are so many people from the dominant city buying homes there as vacation rentals. But I digress, Belknap County somehow is in Boston MSA... so there are faults with all of these MSA things.

My main overall point is, much more of CT is independent with a solid economy than one might think. Especially New Haven. Connecticut is not as dependent on NYC as you may think even though the wealth certainly bleeds over to about 20 or so towns/cities. CT is way more resilient than that IMHO
New Haven having an "extremely strong economy" is a bit of a stretch.

Old 05-02-2023, 02:38 PM

83 posts, read 33,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Great news. The Republicans are on board with Governor Lamont’s budget proposal. Tax cuts seem to be certain now. Now let the negotiations begin. Jay

https://www.courant.com/2023/05/02/c...lamont-tax-cut
Kudos to Lamont and the Republican Leadership Caucus. It's refreshing to see both parties acting in the State's interest without the nonsense and vitriol that's going on in the Federal Govt.

Old 05-02-2023, 04:29 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okbymeman View Post
New Haven having an "extremely strong economy" is a bit of a stretch.
Why do you think it’s not. Our state has basically full employment with an unemployment rate of 4%. We are near the top in per capita Gross Domestic Product and we are No. 1 in per capita income.

New Haven has been seeing nonstop new apartment construction and more importantly they are all being leased and occupied. This has meant a growth in population. The city has four major new biotech research buildings under construction or about to be constructed. Yale New Haven Hospital is building a massive $838 million neurosciences center. A stunning new hotel, The Marcel, has just opened in Long Wharf. Downtown continues to have wonderful dining and entertainment options. What more do you want? Jay

Old 05-02-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Why do you think it’s not. Our state has basically full employment with an unemployment rate of 4%. We are near the top in per capita Gross Domestic Product and we are No. 1 in per capita income.

New Haven has been seeing nonstop new apartment construction and more importantly they are all being leased and occupied. This has meant a growth in population. The city has four major new biotech research buildings under construction or about to be constructed. Yale New Haven Hospital is building a massive $838 million neurosciences center. A stunning new hotel, The Marcel, has just opened in Long Wharf. Downtown continues to have wonderful dining and entertainment options. What more do you want? Jay
The poverty rate in New Haven is something like 25%. That's really bad.

Also, the employment rate doesn't tell the whole story because a lot of the state's jobs are low-wage service industry stuff that hardly allows an individual to get by in this state.

Old 05-02-2023, 04:45 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:

Also, the employment rate doesn't tell the whole story because a lot of the state's jobs are low-wage service industry stuff that hardly allows an individual to get by in this state.
bingo.

Old 05-02-2023, 05:03 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Most states jobs are low wage service industry. Actually, all 50 of them.
Inner city and trailer park poverty is a nationwide issue. Again, all 50 states.

Old 05-02-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Most states jobs are low wage service industry. Actually, all 50 of them.
Inner city and trailer park poverty is a nationwide issue. Again, all 50 states.
Then the employment rate is a meaningless metric if you ask me. It lets us pat ourselves on the back I guess, meanwhile people who actually work those miserable jobs can barely afford to keep up.

And it isn’t just the “inner city” of New Haven that is poor (to the extent it even has an inner city).

Old 05-02-2023, 05:20 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Quote:
Then the employment rate is a meaningless metric if you ask me. It lets us pat ourselves on the back I guess, meanwhile people who actually work those miserable jobs can barely afford to keep up.

And it isn’t just the “inner city” of New Haven that is poor (to the extent it even has an inner city).
Career low wage workers do struggle to keep up, that is accurate, no question.

CT like every state has poor areas, yes absolutely.

Old 05-02-2023, 05:57 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:

Its meaningless both in a state or nation. I prefer to read the full report which does a deep dive into the details. I'd also like to see more newspaper articles ranking all 50 states by % of jobs recovered vs the covid recession losses.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:18 PM

21,737 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Which is only a small factor in a city's overall economic picture.

How the poor in New Haven lives has little to do with the economic powerhouses in the city between eds, meds, biotech, etc, not to mention entertainment and dining, and new construction.

Maybe sad, but true.

For what it's worth, the poverty rate in 2010 was 26.7% and was 24.6% more recently. At least it's trending down.

Last edited by Stylo; 05-02-2023 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut