Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2023, 01:21 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

While its no doubt that Bridgeport and New Haven have NYC influence, for sure, they are pretty independent economies with less than 2% of their population's regularly commuting into NYC.
This is not just for you masssachoicetts but everyone.

The New York metropolitan area is the city and suburbs of New York City. It includes Long Island and the Mid- and Lower Hudson Valley in the state of New York. It also includes north and central New Jersey, three counties in western Connecticut and five counties in northeastern Pennsylvania.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ne...opolitan_area#

Look at the Metro North Commuter RR map including the line close to Litchfield in NY and compare it to the three counties.
Economic Climate in CT-newyorkmetropolitanarea-metronorth.jpg

Anyone wo doesn't think NYC doesn't have influence in a large part of CT is in denial. I am looking up EAST of New Haven on the shorline. The realtor was telling me (way before Covid) there are people who live in Branford, Guilford and Madison that work in NYC a few days a week. She lives in Old Saybrook and her husband goes into NYC a few days a week. While I am looking at condos along the shoreline I met many owners from NYC who go to the condos on the weekends. Instead of a "country getaway" for the weekend these New Yorkers have condos east of New Haven on the coast. Not to mention all of the country weekend homes of New Yorkers all over CT on lakes, little quaint towns etc.

I thought to myself....."self, not only do I have to compete with all the New Yorkers in my working life in Fairfield County but I will also have to compete with then while looking in the eastern coastal towns in retirement".

This is a never ending NYC cycle.
My great grandparents were from Brooklyn (late 1800's)..........their kids moved to Greenwich, Stamford Darien (and Long Island).......thier grandchildren that can't afford southwestern FFC moved to eastern FFC and western New Haven County. etc. etc. etc. Guess what, some of the great grandchildren are back in NYC.

Here is a good example of the NYC influence in one lifetime on CT. One of my husband's bosses was born in NYC....moved to Stamford and had the business...... retired to Mystic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I almost forgot this one. How many times on here have we seen this post "I live in NYC and I am looking for a place for my parents that is not to far away in CT"? Most of the times that puts them in my neck of the woods (eastern FFC) or a little further out into New Haven County or Litchfield County.

Last edited by CTartist; 04-28-2023 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-28-2023, 01:58 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

The New York metropolitan area is the city and suburbs of New York City. It includes Long Island and the Mid- and Lower Hudson Valley in the state of New York. It also includes north and central New Jersey, three counties in western Connecticut and five counties in northeastern Pennsylvania.

Look at the Metro North Commuter RR map including the line close to Litchfield in NY and compare it to the three counties.
Attachment 243027

Anyone wo doesn't think NYC doesn't have influence in a large part of CT is in denial. I am looking up EAST of New Haven on the shorline. The realtor was telling me (way before Covid) there are people who live in Branford, Guilford and Madison that work in NYC a few days a week. She lives in Old Saybrook and her husband goes into NYC a few days a week. While I am looking at condos along the shoreline I met many owners from NYC who go to the condos on the weekends. Instead of a "country getaway" for the weekend these New Yorkers have condos east of New Haven on the coast. Not to mention all of the country weekend homes of New Yorkers all over CT on lakes, little quaint towns etc.

I thought to myself....."self, not only do I have to compete with all the New Yorkers in my working life in Fairfield County but I will also have to compete with then while looking in the eastern coastal towns in retirement".

My great grandparents were from Brooklyn (late 1800's)..........their kids moved to Greenwich, Stamford Darien (and Long Island).......thier grandchildren that can't afford southwestern FFC moved to eastern FFC and western New Haven County. etc. etc. etc. Guess what, some of the great grandchildren are back in NYC.

Here is a good example of the NYC influence in one lifetime on CT. One of my husband's bosses was born in NYC....moved to Stamford and had the business...... retired to Mystic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I almost forgot this one. How many times on here have we seen this post "I live in NYC and I am looking for a place for my parents that is not to far away in CT"? Most of the times that puts them in my neck of the woods (eastern FFC) or a little further out into New Haven County or Litchfield County.
Again, you are using CSA.

CSA=/=MSA. CSA's have not been updated in 15+ years and we do not use them in planning. They have been invalidated for quite some time now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo..._Divisions.png <-- This is Greater New York. And when counties get dissolved in CT, the 'Western Connecticut' will also enter New York MSA which includes Greenwich, Stanford, Norwalk, Danbury, etc...

What analogies you are using, are simply analogies. RI/MA have the same relationship. But is Warwick RI in Greater Boston? No. Its Providence MSA. It falls in Boston CSA, much like New Haven does in New York CSA... but officially, no. CSAs hold no weight on the relationship between economies of large cities.

Old 04-28-2023, 02:15 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Idk - like I understand your points and some like how localized parts of the economy are make some sense.

Folks see CT on NYC-based news every day if they for example look at the weather reports. For the more heinous stuff, yes, CT doesn't show up often because it's a relatively quiet place in such a massive media market. This is why News 12 in Norwalk has filled the gap in the Western CT and parts of NH County. Heck even local CT news besides News 12 have spotty coverage of FFC, expect for maybe Channel 8, which is New Haven based. FFC is heaven for a news nerd btw - so many different sources including small independent local town sources too.
Pretty much my point, the big broadcasters and publishers fought hard to contain FFC and Western CT in general in it's stated media market but don't serve it and isn't as wildly consumed as many think. NYT, NYP, and Newsday (LI based I know, but covers NYC extensively) I don't think have beat reporters in any CT area like they are in NJ/LI... Chs 5,7,2, and 11 certainly don't either unless there's something really big. Most local news is covered by Chs 8,3,61 and the Hearst News Network along with the smaller outlets like you mentioned. Bigger NYC focused outlets don't cover the area well at all, especially with the resources they devote to Westchester, LI, and Northern NJ really speaks to where they think the limits of their market is.

Quote:
As for as CT being an afterthought in NYC media, now in terms of actual operations that's not the case. NBC Sports, YES (Yankees TV), Spectrum/Charter (Cable/ISP), and WWE all have major offices in Stamford.
I mean the day-to-day reporting, but CT has been growing in the national and international corporate broadcasting and distribution space for decades. So is NYC, Chicago, LA, Miami... I don't think anyone would say that FFC is a suburb of Chicago. Or the NYC is one of Chicago. That sort of thinking if I'm making sense.

Quote:
re: negative effect on CT's growth, economy, and transit planning - I'd need to see more evidence about this.
There's a real mismatch with on the surface of how we think CT and FFC works and then what is seen once the numbers are crunched. FFC itself is one of the premier corporate concentrations in the world, let alone it's own local economy.

Much of our planning and transit philosophies are geared towards the very outdated idea of a hub and spoke method of commuting and commerce: people from afar come into the central city and then leave... that has never been true in CT, much less NYC being that central city for us. That has really hampered the ideas of making our rail lines as a network which has direct effects on our major arteries like Rt 15 and 95.

Quote:
Part of it also is on our CT reps to advocate for what we need. The infrastructure bill is going to bring a ton of new investment to our rails (NE Corridor). We also need to really think about how to make intra-state rail connections more user-friendly and impactful along with continuing easy to implement BRT solutions.

We're working on the economy bit, which is improving incrementally albeit from a very high base already.
Agree with all of this. I'd prefer dedicated Light Rail, but that's another story.

Old 04-28-2023, 03:26 PM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Attachment 243027

So the moral of the story is that NYers like moving to CT.
Yes, we know.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:51 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post

Much of our planning and transit philosophies are geared towards the very outdated idea of a hub and spoke method of commuting and commerce: people from afar come into the central city and then leave... that has never been true in CT, much less NYC being that central city for us. That has really hampered the ideas of making our rail lines as a network which has direct effects on our major arteries like Rt 15 and 95.
Bingo. We need to be emulating Massachusetts long-term plan to connect far more of their state to the major regions already covered.

We need to stop playing around on the Shoreline East and Hartford lines, add more stations to each, and ensure its morning rush and evening rush have far more trains, offering far better service, far earlier and later in each day. That means tolerating bigger state funding of it during its building volume period. That means funding shuttle service from the stations emulating at least what exists in South Norwalk and Greenwich in terms of frequency and area covered.

Old 05-01-2023, 10:49 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
There’s been a lot of questions about the worth of Connecticut’s tax credits for film production here. A new is being formed to not only defend them but to expand it. Jay

https://westfaironline.com/entertain...-nutmeg-state/

Old 05-01-2023, 07:46 PM

Strong revenue growth is expanding the state’s budget surplus to $1.58 billion and that will allow the state to spend about $200 million more next year. Could that mean more tax cuts? Great news. Jay

https://www.courant.com/2023/05/01/n...lus-tops-1-58b

Old 05-02-2023, 09:53 AM

752 posts, read 553,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
There’s been a lot of questions about the worth of Connecticut’s tax credits for film production here. A new is being formed to not only defend them but to expand it. Jay

https://westfaironline.com/entertain...-nutmeg-state/
It seems to have been effective. Stamford is now a production hub-- iTV moving here was a big win. There's movie production going on statewide.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:23 AM

US News & World Reports has rated Connecticut No. 16 overall in their Best States rankings, however I think that like the ranking of Truth in Accounting’s fiscal review there is a misunderstanding of our state’s fiscal health. They rank Connecticut No. 48 fiscally.

By law the state cannot finish the fiscal year with a surplus. All surplus money must first be deposited into the states Rainy Day Fund. When that reaches 15% of state budget, the rest must be put into the states pension funds.

While the states budget summary shows a deficit, Connecticut has had large budget surpluses for the past 5 years. This has resulted in a $3.7 billion Rainy Day Fund and over $5 billion in advanced pension payments. How is that fiscally bad? I believe that if this misunderstanding was corrected, our state would move into the Top 10 of states. What do you think? Jay

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...kings#comments

https://patch.com/connecticut/across...ation-u-s-news

Old 05-02-2023, 12:25 PM

Great news. The Republicans are on board with Governor Lamont’s budget proposal. Tax cuts seem to be certain now. Now let the negotiations begin. Jay

https://www.courant.com/2023/05/02/c...lamont-tax-cut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut