Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:07 AM

17 posts, read 29,968 times

Advertisements

Currently I am in school but when I finish I would like to relocate out of the Denver area. I grew up in San Diego but my family moved to Colorado and it was difficult at the time to be barely out of high school and living on my own with a minimum wage job in Southern California. Denver is not really my cup of tea, although I do appreciate all the amenities it offers. However, when the time comes, I would very much like to move elsewhere. I will of course miss my sister and niece but we both have very busy schedules and I rarely see her anyway and most of my close friends are scattered throughout the US, everyone having moved around after high school or married military spouses and got stationed elsewhere so I don't have a whole lot tying me to Denver. Currently I stay out of familiarity and because I'd like to finish school.

I am an anthropology student and hope to find a job with a museum when I finish school so a city with museums would be necessary. I'm also an avid hiker during warm weather and would like as many options for hiking as possible. Currently I have options here in Denver from a half hour to 3-4 hours away. Natural beauty is important to me. It's good for the soul and since I spend a lot of time by myself that is extra important to me.

I'd like a slightly bigger city at least over 20,000 but something with a lot of beautiful scenery near by with a lot of hiking and driving distance to water would be a huge bonus and places to camp would also be welcome.

Besides museums and outdoor activities aplenty, it is important to have alternative preschools within driving distance (no more than 20-30 minutes) such as Reggio, Waldorf, and Montessori schools as well as child friendly activities like zoos or wild animal parks (we like animals) and anything that provides natural learning opportunities (i.e. about 6? hours drive from here there is a wolf sanctuary where you can camp, learn about the wolves, pet the cubs etc) and there are orchards you can go to in the fall to pick your own apples and learn about growing, planting, life cycles etc and farms you can visit to learn about the animals animals and farm life.

Additionally, Pilates and yoga studios, tai chi classes, and activities like archery would be wonderful. Because I try to eat healthy and organic I would prefer stores like Whole Foods Market or Sprouts Farmer's Market to be nearby or similar if they are available. Farmer's markets would also be a big bonus.

Any information would be helpful. I am hoping to visit a few places before I make any final decisions on moving which will be at least a couple of years as I need to finish my degree first.

I was thinking about Fairfield, which, on first glance looks beautiful and seems to have some of what I'm looking for. Can anyone tell me more about Fairfield? First hand information is really the most helpful way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,437,897 times
Your budget and what size of house/rental you need would help....
There are plenty of areas that offer that sort of lifestyle.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:14 PM

17 posts, read 29,968 times
Oops sorry. I got caught up in the other details and forgot about that.

My budget currently is a lot different than what my budget will be when I have a job in my field so it's a little hard to say right now. I am looking for a pet friendly house with 2-3 bedrooms (at the time I move it will just be myself and one toddler but I do want to expand my family later, so a slighter bigger property I won't have to move from immediately would be preferable) and a yard big enough to do gardening and set up swing set and sandbox. I may start out renting until I know what my budget is for buying and in order to make sure I like the area I'm in enough to set down roots. I'd like to keep monthly rent under $2k a month and in the event of buying a house, based on my current means no more than $350k.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:04 PM

274 posts, read 519,005 times
You're not going to find a lot of museums in that area hiring anthropologists. The only one I found was at the Yale Peabody museum for a museum assistant. You can bet that there will be Yale anthropology students applying for that job also. Even if you do find a job at a museum, I doubt it will pay enough to allow you to buy a house in that area.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:18 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,088,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
You're not going to find a lot of museums in that area hiring anthropologists. The only one I found was at the Yale Peabody museum for a museum assistant. You can bet that there will be Yale anthropology students applying for that job also. Even if you do find a job at a museum, I doubt it will pay enough to allow you to buy a house in that area.
Pretty sure you have to be location-agnostic if you are looking fir a museum job.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:39 PM

26 posts, read 64,658 times
CT has many museums and historical homes (former archaeology major here). I cannot comment on state of job market, but its not as narrow as just the Peabody, depending on your specific skill set.
Fairfield is expensive, but has Waldorf, friends, Montessori schools available .... For 18k a year. Welcome to the Gold Coast!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:02 PM

21,772 posts, read 28,115,027 times
New Haven has a lot of museums, but mostly associated with Yale. You'd be hard pressed to find a better employer for that field outside of Boston or New York though.

The place/budget you want is not really doable within the NYC commute sphere of lower FFC. You'd likely have to stick to Hartford or New Haven areas, or eastern FFC (Stratford/Shelton).

Old 09-09-2013, 09:19 AM

222 posts, read 413,797 times
Hi Dinopuppy,

I definitely think you'd love Fairfield, though I also doubt you can find the house you want in your budget (you never know). I am from CA and find Fairfield the only town that seems to capture that healthy vibe you are talking about in a laid back way (I travel 30 mins to a yoga class there for this reason). However, you may want to check out Milford. It also has a good vibe (at least in most places) and you can definitely get a house there for your budget. It is on the train line to NYC (though I really think too far too commute, I guess a couple folks do it anyway!) but really connected with New Haven. I can't speak to the museum situation, but what others are telling you sounds right.

good luck!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 AM

837 posts, read 2,084,359 times
The issue you want to avoid with Fairfield (and Southwestern Connecticut, in general) is being house poor (or even apartment poor). Not only are museum jobs few and far between, but I don't think museum wages will appropriately match the high cost of living in Connecticut (especially in Southwestern Connecticut/Fairfield County).

However, let's assume that you do find a job in Connecticut. I think non-Fairfield County is do-able if you are willing to rent. Buying will be more difficult due to higher property taxes, but do-able if you find the right town (e.g. New Britain). The issue is that many affordable towns have seedy neighborhoods that should be avoided, and many affordable homes in these towns tend to require a lot of elbow grease.

Per your own post, you have several years to figure this out. I would focus on finishing your degree and start looking for employment once you begin your final year at your program. A lot can change between now and whenever you graduate, which will obviously change your needs.
  • You might meet a Significant Other and/or if you are already in a committed relationship, your S/O may have different logistical career needs.
  • You, yourself, may find a dream job and/or have different needs a few years from now.
  • Other variables (e.g. health needs) may crop up, which can drastically change your budget.
  • Job market and economy may still be floundering, which translates to even lesser pay, and further restricts your ability to rent/buy.

Also, FYI, Fairfield has a population of about 50,000-60,000 if I remember correctly, and that figure excludes the many college students who reside in town during the academic year. Such figures are WAY higher than the "slightly bigger city at least over 20,000" cited in your original post. It may be too congested for your liking...

Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 AM

21,772 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyGodmother View Post
Hi Dinopuppy,

I definitely think you'd love Fairfield, though I also doubt you can find the house you want in your budget (you never know). I am from CA and find Fairfield the only town that seems to capture that healthy vibe you are talking about in a laid back way (I travel 30 mins to a yoga class there for this reason). However, you may want to check out Milford. It also has a good vibe (at least in most places) and you can definitely get a house there for your budget. It is on the train line to NYC (though I really think too far too commute, I guess a couple folks do it anyway!) but really connected with New Haven. I can't speak to the museum situation, but what others are telling you sounds right.

good luck!
Yes, Milford is like a cheaper Fairfield in a few ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut