Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 07:20 AM

453 posts, read 530,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Despite the ghost town tendencies and abundance of panhandlers, I lived in downtown Hartford for seven years and have lived in West Hartford for eight years and......I miss living in Hartford. The convenience to work was amazing. The ability to walk to and from XL Center, The Meadows, The Bushnell, Hartford Stage, or Theater Works events was fantastic. There was Monday night jazz in the park in the summer, the Jazz Fest in the park, the Blues Fest in the park, the marathons/5K's, the St. Patrick's Day Parade, block parties (I was a little younger then) brew fests, the Riverfest, happy hours where they actually offered FREE APPETIZERS (unlike West Hartford bars which can't be bothered) bars that actually featured live bands instead of just the occasional acoustic guy, sports bars, Irish bars, and clubs (if you're into those), comedy shows at City Steam, ice skating in the park, annual UConn women championship parades, occasional UConn men parades, zero power outages in storms......

In major cities people pay through the nose for such convenience to the point where only rich people can live in the middle of Boston or Manhattan. Here.....anyone can but few do. People read "20 murders in Hartford this year" and draw distinctions between the North End and downtown. It's a shame.
Curious why you moved to WH then?

How much does one really do any of the events you listed though? A night at the Bushnell is not cheap. Many events you listed are once a year. I also dispute that 'anyone' can live downtown. The rents are pretty steep in my opinion, but obviously much less than Boston or NY.

Hartford still lacks the key component of a livable city. A walkable, gentrified, 24/7 community (or at least not 9-5) to develop a critical mass. Most stores and some restaurants close early. At the UConn championship parade in 2014, we walked over to City Steam who said they would be open early for the parade. I believe the parade was at 4, we got there at 1, and they weren't opening until 2!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 09:29 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctguy87 View Post
Curious why you moved to WH then?

How much does one really do any of the events you listed though? A night at the Bushnell is not cheap. Many events you listed are once a year. I also dispute that 'anyone' can live downtown. The rents are pretty steep in my opinion, but obviously much less than Boston or NY.

Hartford still lacks the key component of a livable city. A walkable, gentrified, 24/7 community (or at least not 9-5) to develop a critical mass. Most stores and some restaurants close early. At the UConn championship parade in 2014, we walked over to City Steam who said they would be open early for the parade. I believe the parade was at 4, we got there at 1, and they weren't opening until 2!
I moved to WH because it felt like it was what I was "supposed to do". Everyone is so horrified by Hartford and so in love with the (prettier but more boring) West Hartford that I finally succumbed to peer pressure.

The rents range. Capitol View and the place above Union Station are probably about as cheap as any apartments you will find.

Of course I didn't go to every Bushnell even. But quite a few per year. And I was far from rich.

Why doesn't City Steam opening two hours before the parade qualify as being open for the parade? There are many bars and restaurants within walking distance from there. I'll bet there were other places that were open.

The real problem Hartford has? The mentality of people in CT. We are a sleepy, small town loving state. So much so that I think we enjoy beating up on our capital city as nothing but a crime ridden cesspool. And this (mis)perception prevents it from significantly growing. It's almost like we know it can never become Boston or New York so we dismiss it ourselves before anyone from outside the state can.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:46 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
The rents range. Capitol View and the place above Union Station are probably about as cheap as any apartments you will find.
Did you live at Capital View apts ? That place has received horrible reviews over the years and they have changed their name. (I can't remember the name before it was capital view)

Old 08-01-2015, 12:54 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Did you live at Capital View apts ? That place has received horrible reviews over the years and they have changed their name. (I can't remember the name before it was capital view)
I did. It was fine.........until it wasn't. Bedbugs. That's the other reason I left. In hindsight, I almost wish I had just moved to a better apt. downtown.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:22 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
I moved to WH because it felt like it was what I was "supposed to do". Everyone is so horrified by Hartford and so in love with the (prettier but more boring) West Hartford that I finally succumbed to peer pressure.

Of course I didn't go to every Bushnell even. But quite a few per year. And I was far from rich.

Why doesn't City Steam opening two hours before the parade qualify as being open for the parade? There are many bars and restaurants within walking distance from there. I'll bet there were other places that were open.

The real problem Hartford has? The mentality of people in CT. We are a sleepy, small town loving state. So much so that I think we enjoy beating up on our capital city as nothing but a crime ridden cesspool. And this (mis)perception prevents it from significantly growing. It's almost like we know it can never become Boston or New York so we dismiss it ourselves before anyone from outside the state can.
You hit it right on the head. I had a couple of coworkers from the southwest and they were impressed by Hartford and liked downtown and the West End. They did not expect New York or Boston so they were not disappointed. Jay

Old 08-02-2015, 10:09 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Went to dinner with wife and some friends in Hartford like 2 weeks ago. Was as dead as the stupid worms that think they can survive the journey across my gigantic, boiling hot, black tar drive way. and it's always that dead when we go there accept for maybe 3 streets during peak party hours on Friday or Saturday. Then there was the hood rat I almost had to fight because one of the girls we were with accidentally touched his tax payer and drug dealer funded BMW.

Hartford = awesome [/sarc]

Old 08-02-2015, 05:50 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Went to dinner with wife and some friends in Hartford like 2 weeks ago. Was as dead as the stupid worms that think they can survive the journey across my gigantic, boiling hot, black tar drive way. and it's always that dead when we go there accept for maybe 3 streets during peak party hours on Friday or Saturday. Then there was the hood rat I almost had to fight because one of the girls we were with accidentally touched his tax payer and drug dealer funded BMW.

Hartford = awesome [/sarc]
We have never had a problem going out in Hartford. I don't know where you were. Jay.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 AM

453 posts, read 530,909 times
I don't have a problem on game days for UConn, but there was a time when I went to the Wadsworth by myself and I was followed by a man who kept trying to get my attention. Since it was a Saturday afternoon, the streets were deserted so I felt very uncomfortable and briskly walked to the entrance as fast as I could. If I lived downtown, and didn't feel comfortable walking either at night or on the weekends, what would be the point?

Jay, I am willing to bet that you only go to large events in Hartford, or, if you go out to dinner, you park in the garage right next to Max Downtown, Trumbull Kitchen, etc. and walk immediately to the restaurant, immediately back to your car, and go home. There are no 'leisurely strolls' in Hartford.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Hoping Hartford gets the Whalers back. With UCONN building a new campus, UCONN football/basketball in the city, Riverside Park, City Steam/Olde Burnside, and increase in road races maybe Hartford will change.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:53 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hoping Hartford gets the Whalers back. With UCONN building a new campus, UCONN football/basketball in the city, Riverside Park, City Steam/Olde Burnside, and increase in road races maybe Hartford will change.
The Whalers won't come back unless we fix the whole arena situation. The XL Center is one of the oldest facilities in the nation right now that we are still currently operating. We will only get a team through relocation and in this day in age, it's ALOT harder to move a team that it was 20-25 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut