Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 AM

16 posts, read 25,779 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Hartford, CT. Lived in Washington, DC prior.
I have to say, if your young (under 30) and live in downtown Hartford - it's absolutely "whack-tacular" (yes I had to resurrect a 90's word to describe the crazy that I have witnessed.

For reference I live right downtown, close to DISH, the happy hour from 4-6 is cool, as soon as clock ticks 6pm - the place is a ghost town. While I understand this is no Washington, DC - it seems that people don't hang out - they all go home instead of relaxing and enjoying the evening.

What else is there to do to for fun in this city?
Traveling to another city to have fun shouldn't be an option - its basically admitting that you have to leave city X and go to city Y, because city X is so whack, don't bother trying to find fun things to do there. City X in this case is Hartford, and city Y is New York or Boston (both of which are super fun!!)

Yes, I know West Hartford is all the rage (to locals) - to me it's small version of Clarendon, VA or a tiny version of Tyson's Corner, VA.

Please someone help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:07 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceweasel View Post
What else is there to do to for fun in this city?
Honestly, not that much. I used to enjoy Hartford up until about 3 years ago. I maybe go once a year to Hartford now. I am 28 years old and it has not too much to offer. Ages 21-25 you could have fun but to me (and most my friends) it lost it's appeal. There are museums, XL Center, Expo couple little bars/clubs and some good restaurants throughout. You have to find "your spot." Pratt St (which is near DISH) is cool. But yes, you are correct; Hartford is not a "liveable" city like Stamford. People come in, work, and rush home. Some call Hartford "The Big Office Park" (pretty sure someone said that on here, and if so, I give them credit.)

Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Honestly, not that much. I used to enjoy Hartford up until about 3 years ago. I maybe go once a year to Hartford now. I am 28 years old and it has not too much to offer. Ages 21-25 you could have fun but to me (and most my friends) it lost it's appeal. There are museums, XL Center, Expo couple little bars/clubs and some good restaurants throughout. You have to find "your spot." Pratt St (which is near DISH) is cool. But yes, you are correct; Hartford is not a "liveable" city like Stamford. People come in, work, and rush home. Some call Hartford "The Big Office Park" (pretty sure someone said that on here, and if so, I give them credit.)
Yeah, I went to find brunch one Sunday walking around and it was a serious ghost town - I thought they had blocked off roads to film an episode of "The Walking Dead" - it seemed too quiet. I guess that's how it is. At least I know now.

How far is Stamford from here? Is it worth the drive? What kinds of things are there to do there?
Don't know if you know of a place called "Lucky Strike" (Lucky Strike - Bowling, Parties, and Great Food | Lucky Strike). Is there a place like that here? It's like trendy lounge like bowling/billiards.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,868,328 times
Stamford would not be worth the drive. Middletown and New Haven probably would be your best bets.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Stamford would not be worth the drive. Middletown and New Haven probably would be your best bets.
Agree, Stamford is not worth the drive from Hartford. I am going to echo many people on here and say West Hartford, but Middletown and New Haven are great. I would say New Haven would be your best bet. Straight down 91 and you're there. New Haven is just so much more "alive." You said in another thread you lived in NH, I would have just stayed there (not to sound rude) just it's a better option for fun.

Also, Foxwoods has a "high class" bowling alley I believe it's called High Rollers.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I actually lived in New Haven 3 years ago. One of my favorite places to eat is Thali (love indian food); it's also where I went to a pizza place - had a line out the door, and it was ah-mazing!!!! Period!

Have not been to Middletown - it has been added to the list to check out. Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Agree, Stamford is not worth the drive from Hartford. I am going to echo many people on here and say West Hartford, but Middletown and New Haven are great. I would say New Haven would be your best bet. Straight down 91 and you're there. New Haven is just so much more "alive." You said in another thread you lived in NH, I would have just stayed there (not to sound rude) just it's a better option for fun.

Also, Foxwoods has a "high class" bowling alley I believe it's called High Rollers.
The "high class" bowling made me laugh. The two concepts are juxtaposed - which lends itself well to humor.
I added High Rollers to the list of places to visit this weekend!

Anything in West Hartford that i need to visit? I've been to Cuvee, Max Oyster, Max Burger (which has good burgers by the way - reminds me of burger joint in Uptown Dallas, TX (Village Burger).

Thanks for posting.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,725 times
Calling all hartford is not boring C-D members!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:17 AM

163 posts, read 240,685 times
There is this place

Revolutions Bowling and Lounge | South Windsor, CT - Home

I've never been there though.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:23 AM

West Hartford has West Hartford Center and Blueback Square. My favorite bar in WHC is McLadden's but there are so many more. There are fun places (everyone has a different definition of fun) you just need to find them. Middletown has Eli Cannons which is awesome. Middletown's Main Street is full of bars and different types of places. You can jump from a Biker Bar to a "fist-pumping" bar within seconds. Variety.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:26 AM

720 posts, read 920,329 times
Hartford is a very pathetic capital. It has nothing to offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut