Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,956 times

Advertisements

I am shocked schools are open. I haven't gone in yet because I simply don't want to risk my car being damaged. I have friends who are reporting that the roads haven't been treated and aren't plowed unless it's a major road.

Whoever is running the ship in Norwalk/Westport/Greenwich/Stamford are serious morons.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Friday storm look stronger than tuesday clipper system
Gotta give you credit! Definitely picked up a quick 2" here in West Hartford...started snowing around 7:00am.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:34 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
I am shocked schools are open. I haven't gone in yet because I simply don't want to risk my car being damaged. I have friends who are reporting that the roads haven't been treated and aren't plowed unless it's a major road.

Whoever is running the ship in Norwalk/Westport/Greenwich/Stamford are serious morons.
I noticed some other schools closed as well.....I noticed on the WTNH and News 12 lists Bethel, Hamden and Ellington in CT. Also a lot of Putnam and Northern Westchester County districts in NY adjacent to Danbury (i.e. Brewster, Somers) closed. I wonder if it was incredibly intense up there compared to elsewhere (I'm in Norwalk right now where it's coming down but map seems to suggest it will end soon).

What I've always noticed about the 4 districts you mentioned is they seem to delay/close in lockstep, always wait until the last minute (i.e. they tell you about 6-630am unless it's a blizzard), and are the least likely to close in CT (in addition to Bridgeport). For example, none of them delayed yesterday......

Old 01-09-2015, 06:40 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
What I've always noticed about the 4 districts you mentioned is they seem to delay/close in lockstep, always wait until the last minute (i.e. they tell you about 6-630am unless it's a blizzard), and are the least likely to close in CT (in addition to Bridgeport). For example, none of them delayed yesterday......
Glastonbury is another district that doesn't seem to delay or close unless absolutely necessary. I know this because I get stuck behind their school buses every day going to work and they are out there on many snowy days when my town is delayed or closed.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I noticed some other schools closed as well.....I noticed on the WTNH and News 12 lists Bethel, Hamden and Ellington in CT. Also a lot of Putnam and Northern Westchester County districts in NY adjacent to Danbury (i.e. Brewster, Somers) closed. I wonder if it was incredibly intense up there compared to elsewhere (I'm in Norwalk right now where it's coming down but map seems to suggest it will end soon).

I"m here off long ridge in Stamford and nothing has been done. There's at least three inches on my road.. it came down fast and heavy, looked like a blizzard just like people here and even the regular news guys were saying last night. I don't understand how elected public officials can't put a few things together.

Super cold pavement, fast falling snow = icy conditions that your plows can't even think of keeping up with.

How many times does this have to happen before someone in town hall/city hall can have a little foresight!!

Old 01-09-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I"m here off long ridge in Stamford and nothing has been done. There's at least three inches on my road.. it came down fast and heavy, looked like a blizzard just like people here and even the regular news guys were saying last night. I don't understand how elected public officials can't put a few things together.

Super cold pavement, fast falling snow = icy conditions that your plows can't even think of keeping up with.

How many times does this have to happen before someone in town hall/city hall can have a little foresight!!
I have friends who live in north Stamford that complain about this all the time, they feel that city hall thinks the whole city is downtown and not their area. I would actually think that Stamford and Norwalk would close/delay more often given that they bus very heavily (another reason for a lot of the "extreme cold" delays since districts often have trouble getting buses started), and that more than many other "urban" districts in CT they have a very spread-out "back road" part of their districts to deal with, something Danbury and to some extent Waterbury also has (but seems to take more into account) but Bridgeport/New Haven/Hartford don't.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I have friends who live in north Stamford that complain about this all the time. I would actually think that Stamford and Norwalk would close/delay more often given that they bus very heavily (another reason for a lot of the "extreme cold" delays since districts often have trouble getting buses started), and that more than many other "urban" districts in CT they have a very spread-out "back road" part of their districts to deal with, something Danbury and to some extent Waterbury also has (but seems to take more into account) but Bridgeport/New Haven/Hartford don't.
I actually love driving in snow.. and do it all the time on days off. I just feel for all the other people out there who are afraid, get in accidents, etc.. a friend of mine called me up shaking from work because she almost went off the road a few times at close to 2mph.. that's how icy the roads were/are..

It just happens over and over again.. and the people who are put in charge are ineffective at their job of keeping people safe. I hear half the population at my work didn't make it in yet.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I actually love driving in snow.. and do it all the time on days off. I just feel for all the other people out there who are afraid, get in accidents, etc.. a friend of mine called me up shaking from work because she almost went off the road a few times at close to 2mph.. that's how icy the roads were/are..

It just happens over and over again.. and the people who are put in charge are ineffective at their job of keeping people safe. I hear half the population at my work didn't make it in yet.
I'm only here in Norwalk today because I was there just before it started snowing and because it seems it's going to end long before I have to leave. If it started an hour earlier I would've stayed home. I have a pretty good "snow car" with anti-lock brakes and traction control (just front wheel drive though, not 4WD) but I try not to chance anything if I don't have to.

Also found this on Accu-Weather:

Minus 20 F
Actual temperature recorded in Caribou, Maine, Thursday morning, which was lower than the temperature of minus 18F recorded both at the South
Pole and Fairbanks, Alaska (keep in mind it is "summer" at the South Pole though).

Old 01-09-2015, 07:05 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Monroe schools are closed. We got a quick couple of inches, but the sky is lightening up and I think it's winding down. The side roads are usually the last to be plowed, our road has not been plowed yet.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:20 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,207,659 times
Thankfullly I was able to get to White Plains when it got really bad so I didn't get stuck on the parkway.......but I am at work and 3 people still are nor here yet because they are stuck in the Taconic.....Look at all this mess:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut