Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 05:21 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times

Advertisements

My thermometer outside is reading -7; the app on my phone is showing -6. Either way it's cold!

Old 02-16-2015, 05:33 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Where do I begin? 6am Temps. Hasn't been this cold "in February" since 1967 in Bridgeport. First time below 0° since

Only 5 years since 1948 including this one the minimum temp dipped below 0 in February. 1961, 1962, 1963, 1967, 2015

The last time Boston went below 0 in February was 1987. They did twice this month already. Impressive airmass for this time of year

7am OBS comes in a few minutes and I wonder what the actual lows will be
Im a bit puzzled at whats going on in NYC lately though.

None of the stations budged after midnight. For example, Central Park stayed at 4 deg the whole night. I'm trying to wrap around why. Is there really that much more of a heat island than 20 or 30 years ago? Its not like they doubled in population like some places in the Sunbelt. And while I think part of the exaggeration of global warming is that it manifests itself mostly in nighttime lows only, I'm not buying that here because BDR was basically the same temp as them at midnight and didnt 'behave' this way. Its like the recent night it was 5 in BDR and 20 in NYC, I expect that difference up in Danbury, but not from a coastal location.

Oh well, stjll very impressive and historic given its mid February. I'm seeing theres another shot at this Thursday night into Friday morning, has BDR ever had two nonconsecutive subzero days in the same winter?

Old 02-16-2015, 05:51 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
And we're off.

Starts before Tuesday morning commute, ends Tuesday Evening/night.

Lets see if I can get more than 2" this time.... That reminds me... Posting the totals next

And we're ...... down.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:13 AM

BDRs low of -2 is even more impressive than I thought.....that 'last time in February was in 1967' you mentioned was the latest in winter it occurred (records go back to 1948) and that feat was broken today.....and NWS is predicting -3 for Friday morning which would break that just 4 days later (BDR was exactly 0 on Feb 18, 1979 which deepens the NYC mystery I mentioner as they were 0 that morning as well).

Old 02-16-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Im a bit puzzled at whats going on in NYC lately though.

None of the stations budged after midnight. For example, Central Park stayed at 4 deg the whole night. I'm trying to wrap around why. Is there really that much more of a heat island than 20 or 30 years ago? Its not like they doubled in population like some places in the Sunbelt. And while I think part of the exaggeration of global warming is that it manifests itself mostly in nighttime lows only, I'm not buying
Don't get me started with the biggest human scam in history.

NYC with the warmest low north of Baltimore.

I am requesting a station inspection. No reason why they couldn't go lower.

Other locations had winds with a continued drop so why hasn't NYC dropped since 11pm last night?

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : New York City, Central Park

Old 02-16-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Other locations had winds with a continued drop so why hasn't NYC dropped since 11pm last night?

National Weather Service : Observed Weather for past 3 Days : New York City, Central Park
I did ironically find though with a little digging that on that 1967 day you mention (Feb 13) that the same thing happened, the NYC stations were all between 4 and 9 while BDR was somehow -2 (all but Central Park and LGA had record lows that day and LGA's record low for that date is 8, thats how i figured it out), so I guess its possible, though I'm suspicious too.

If NWS is right abouy Friday, record lows will be shattered across the tri state as they are all between 5 and 10. Even Central Park with its long record has a record low of 7 for that date, set in 1950.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:28 AM

2/16 Lowest Temp by State: Some still at the lows.

NY: Watertown -36°
NH: Mt Washington -35°
PA: Bradford -25°
VT: Middlebury -16°
ME: Greenville -11°
CT: Danbury -8°
RI: Pawtucket -6°
NJ: Andover -3°

Old 02-16-2015, 06:30 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,606 times
Quote:

It's not a scam. It's an urban heat island effect in nyc. All that ashpalt/steel/buildings retains heat.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:30 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times
The news this morning just said 4-6" by end of day Tuesday. Seems they are not 100% on what this storm will do.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
It's not a scam. It's an urban heat island effect in nyc. All that ashpalt/steel/buildings retains heat.
Other than the 1967 date I mentioned (and I guess there are a couple of others), if you look at dates where BDR and Central Park (or even EWR, LGA, and JFK since they also didn't drop all night either when everyone else did) have record lows on the same year, they are never 6-7 degrees apart like they were today, usually they are the same (like the 0 on Feb 18, 1979 I mention, in fact EWR was actually -1) or only about 1 or 2 degrees apart as BDR is urban and coastal just like NYC, just on a smaller scale.

The fact that all 4 NYC area stations didn't drop suggests it's not a scam, but it still doesn't make sense at all no matter which angle you look at it. I brought up "global warming" not to debate Cambium again, but to support that idea that no matter what you think about that it can't be that here because if it was that, you'd expect all the stations to not drop. I don't believe urban heat island in this case either because again BDR wouldn't be that much lower and NYC's urban heat island is not a lot bigger than it was in past decades (if we're talking about why all those record lows are in the 1800s, I could buy "urban heat island", much of the area from Central Park on north was undeveloped until the early 1900s), but not now vs. say 1970 or 1980.

It could be differences in snow cover (NWS says BDR has 11", Central Park 9", LGA 5", EWR 4" and JFK just 1"), but in that case it's the lack of any drop when others did I still find puzzling.

Quote:
2/16 Lowest Temp by State: Some still at the lows.

NY: Watertown -36°
NH: Mt Washington -35°
PA: Bradford -25°
VT: Middlebury -16°
ME: Greenville -11°
CT: Danbury -8°
RI: Pawtucket -6°
NJ: Andover -3°
Near to CT Poughkeepsie, NY actually hit -12!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
The news this morning just said 4-6" by end of day Tuesday. Seems they are not 100% on what this storm will do.
It's going to be a really close call, I think poor Boston finally gets spared with this one!

It's clear that DC/Baltimore finally gets a snowstorm, and Philly relative to what they've been getting, but it's possible this could be like a famous snowstorm in 2010 (or 11?) where central NJ and Staten Island is literally the "northern border". This may be really hard to tell until it is almost here.

I noticed NWS is noting another storm for Sunday where they think it might finally crack 40 and they are debating snow vs. rain vs. a mix.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut