Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times

Advertisements

Durham, Middlefield, and Killingworth are definitely more rural than Southington. Same with towns like Coventry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:32 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times
Sherman, maybe? Definitely rural, with the acreage you're looking for. Plus side is it's not too far from conveniences offered in new milford, or a little further away in danbury. Sherman school (k thru 8) is great. High school options are 3 I think: depending on what part of sherman you live in, and what's most convenient & desirable for you, you can send your children to either new fairfield, new milford, and one other high school (I can't remember which though Sorry! -- give me a few minutes and I'll look it up ).

Old 12-30-2013, 09:44 PM

According to Wikipedia, sherman residents have choice of 6 high schools to send their children: New Milford High School, New Fairfield High School, Brookfield High School, Henry Abbot Tech, Shepaug Valley High School, and Nonnewaug High School. I would double check that though and not take my word for it (in my experience, double checking & Wikipedia go hand in hand). I do know for certain NM and NF are definite. Brookfield I'm not 100% sure of. I know sherman tax dollars pay the towns of NF and NM for use of their high schools -- not sure if they pay for use of all 6 schools though.... It's a very rural and quaint town -- you very well may like it a lot

Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM

Never mind -- I just read your follow-up post relating to budget. I think sherman is out. Sorry! But visit it someday if you have a chance -- Awesome breakfasts to be had at American Pie!!

Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 PM

5 posts, read 13,583 times
Rick. Do you know anything about the school systems everyone provided great info about how they work but is it a "good" school system? Any other Info on the area? I'm think of visiting the area soon before I put to much thought into it.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:01 PM

274 posts, read 518,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly4214 View Post
Rick. Do you know anything about the school systems everyone provided great info about how they work but is it a "good" school system? Any other Info on the area? I'm think of visiting the area soon before I put to much thought into it.
No but I believe that there are many things that are just as important to a child's development as school. Moral values, character and a sense of responsibility are just as important to me. When I was growing up the best part of my summer was spending a couple weeks at my grandparent's farm. They had a large garden, apple trees, chickens, cows, horses, dogs and cats. While I was there I was expected to do chores any help in any way I could. My grandfather taught me how to grow vegetables and care for livestock. My grandmother taught me how to cook, sew and can foods. Looking back, I would have to say that they were my favorite teachers. They had 10 acres so there was plenty of room to play and explore nature firsthand and not just out of some book.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
If you consider Southington too busy if suggest moving up to Vermont, Mass to get more "rural". To me your town is pretty small/quiet in comparison to many others.

Look at Litchfield County if you want quieter.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:48 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly4214 View Post
You can find out information on schools in any Connecticut towns on the website below. I generally recommend looking for schools that perform at or above the state average on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. I believe most of the towns mentioned here do that. Still I think you need to balance location for commuting, quality of schools, amount of home you get for your dollar and access to conveniences and amenities. Remember the cost of a home in a more rural area is less but your costs for commuting and driving to conveniences will add to your costs. While Union is nice, it is far from things including employment centers. I would suggest finding a good job first and then select a community closer to it. Jay

Old 01-01-2014, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,969 times
Have you looked into Norwich CT? I know of a beautiful home on 12 1/2 acres. Although this home is located rural 750' off the road in a private setting; it is also close to 395, shopping, schools, and much more.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:45 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lensling View Post
Have you looked into Norwich CT? I know of a beautiful home on 12 1/2 acres. Although this home is located rural 750' off the road in a private setting; it is also close to 395, shopping, schools, and much more.
The OP is looking for a rural town with good schools. Norwich is actually a small city with many of the issues found in large urban areas. The schools in Norwich perform under that state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. I therefore would not recommend it to the OP. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut