Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:48 PM

15 posts, read 25,915 times

Advertisements

I was leaning against Middletown, since it is farther from some of the restaurants/shops we want to be close to, but I will still look into it. What parts of Middletown should we avoid?

Any other suburbs close by that you would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 05:49 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3onexolove View Post
since it is farther from some of the restaurants/shops we want to be close to
Like what?

Edit: Nevermind, I see. Trust me, when you get to Connecticut and see how good our independent restaurants are, you'll have no need for places like Applebee's and Five Guys.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,041,717 times
Quote:
I was leaning against Middletown, since it is farther from some of the restaurants/shops we want to be close to, but I will still look into it. What parts of Middletown should we avoid?

Any other suburbs close by that you would recommend?
The part of Middletown that we are all referencing (west lake) is on the Cromwell line. I think it's the most convenient location in town - it is extremely close to exit 21 off of 91, and just a few miles from routes 9 and 5/15 (Berlin turnpike). CVS, Walmart, a few chains (chili's and something else... ruby tuesday maybe?) and a bunch of fast food places are within a couple of miles. There are two Targets within 20 minutes and a bunch of other chain restaurants on the berlin tpke.

Also, CT has more than the average number of good local chains and independent places, so don't be scared off by the lack of familiar restaurants.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
The part of Middletown that we are all referencing (west lake) is on the Cromwell line. I think it's the most convenient location in town - it is extremely close to exit 21 off of 91, and just a few miles from routes 9 and 5/15 (Berlin turnpike). CVS, Walmart, a few chains (chili's and something else... ruby tuesday maybe?) and a bunch of fast food places are within a couple of miles. There are two Targets within 20 minutes and a bunch of other chain restaurants on the berlin tpke.

Also, CT has more than the average number of good local chains and independent places, so don't be scared off by the lack of familiar restaurants.
Wow, i feel like an idiot, I kept saying "Berlin" when I meant Cromwell. oops. lol.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:39 PM

15 posts, read 25,915 times
Well I am super picky so we eat at applebee's and longhorns pretty much every week (sad I know) lol

Any parts of middletown to avoid?

Any other locations other than middletown you would recommend?

Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Well I am super picky so we eat at applebee's and longhorns pretty much every week (sad I know) lol

Any parts of middletown to avoid?

Any other locations other than middletown you would recommend?
It sounds like you might like Wallingford. Tons of chains and chain shopping if that's your thing, and a decent walkable downtown.

Milford is a good option, but far. Nice walkable downtown, one of the largest regional shopping hubs in the state, but it's a long-ish commute. Not much traffic, but it's still ~35 miles.

Maybe you'll get over crappy chain food once you get here. Seriously, even our local chains (Plan B, Prime 16, Pepe's) blow away anything on the national level. And that's not even talking about some of the better independent restaurants.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:47 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,962,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Like what?

Edit: Nevermind, I see. Trust me, when you get to Connecticut and see how good our independent restaurants are, you'll have no need for places like Applebee's and Five Guys.
True - I have a good friend that moved to Houston 8 or 9 years ago. He likes Houston, but said that he has yet to find a pizza as good as you can get in just about any town in CT - where the nearest good pizza is about as far away as you can spit. (or something along those lines...)

Old 02-04-2014, 09:38 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Like what?

^^ X1000! Grew up in NYC and lived in Ct for 19-ish years and can proudly say I've never eaten at an Applebee's or longhorn (assuming that's a restaurant too? -- never actually saw one). Independent restaurants are tops here, and a local neighborhood place will likely become your new fave! I have had 5 guys twice -- it was good, but it kind of reminded me of a Wendy's burger, with 3x the wait. My speed of fast food places that I'm interested in trying is chick-fil-a (sp?). They're opening one near me, I think (I think I actually heard from you, stylo, a couple months back maybe?). Not prepared to be blown away, but I do think it would be fun to see what all the hype's about

Old 02-04-2014, 10:07 PM

Chick-fil-A is opening in Brookfield. They are good, dunno if it'll blow you away though.

I like Jake's Wayback much better than Five Guys. And most indie burger places much better than both.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:13 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,417 times
I'm definitely not thinking I'll be blown away.. Just curious about the hype Re: fast foodish type places...I recently went to a new burger place that opened in the danbury mall -- in the space formerly occupied by UNOs, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. Anyway, pretty darn good for a quick bite. Sweet potato fries were basically awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut