Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:21 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,355 times

Advertisements

This went into effect on 12/31/13: (quoting from the Connecticut General Statutes...)

"…The operator of any motor vehicle, as defined in section 14-1 of the general statutes, shall remove any accumulated ice or snow from such motor vehicle, including the hood, trunk and roof of such motor vehicle, so that any ice or snow accumulated on such vehicle does not pose a threat to persons or property while the vehicle is being operated on any street or highway of this state. Any operator who fails to remove accumulated ice or snow that poses such a threat shall be fined seventy-five dollars."

Have any of you actually seen this enforced? I went out briefly today to grab some milk, and observed a large Toyota SUV with only its windows cleared. Seems very much like a 'threat' to me. Then again, I really doubt a $75 fine (with presumably no points/insurance increase) is very much of a deterrent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 04:35 PM

53 posts, read 162,130 times
The stowaway ice that gets stuck between the hood opening and windshield can also get dislodged by the
wiper blades at speed. lucky no one was behind me but i pulled over and cleaned it out roof, hood, trunk and
glass were all spotless but that 1/2 pound chunk of ice i missed would've ruined someones day

Old 02-05-2014, 05:33 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
I never see it enforced. Yesterday on the Merritt during morning and my commute home, we saw many cars and trucks with a lot of snow still. I call these utter laziness people. I saw a lady merge on the parkway in stamford and her car only had her windshield clear (barely). Roof, hood, headlamps and back window completetly covered......also saw many suv's like this. Are these people dumb?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:46 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
It's not a new law and it's enforced often (a figure released today said 70 infractions were issued in the past month). The law that went into effect in December extended what was already on the books for personal vehicles to commercial vehicles. So, in other words, it's an old law.

Also, how can you people say "I've never seen it enforced"? Are you personally pulling up behind each cruiser and asking the trooper what infraction he plans on extending to the driver?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's not a new law and it's enforced often (a figure released today said 70 infractions were issued in the past month). The law that went into effect in December extended what was already on the books for personal vehicles to commercial vehicles. So, in other words, it's an old law.

Also, how can you people say "I've never seen it enforced"? Are you personally pulling up behind each cruiser and asking the trooper what infraction he plans on extending to the driver?
Good, I am glad they are getting some people. I have seen more than a few times cops on city streets by my job just let these people drive on by without doing anything. Even on the Hutch in Westchester. On the Merritt is a different story because 1. I hardly ever see troopers unless there is an accident 2. I doubt they could pull anyone over anymore due to hardly any shoulders.
Seriously though, people should clean snow off. I'm a fanatic with my own car clearing snow as well as shoveling. Its for everyones safety.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:10 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
I hear you, gmdealer. Snow on the roof of your car is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. The only time I excuse it (sparingly) is if it's in the middle of a large storm. My thing is if you can't reach the top of your SUV or truck to clean it off, you shouldn't be driving such a massive vehicle. My better half can't reach the top of her SUV but I make sure I take care of it for her. And when I'm not around, I purchased an extendable snow brush so she can easily get it off. She once came home with a foot of snow on her roof a few years back and we had a slight exchange of words. Of course, she won and now I'm the one who clears(ed) her roof. We now have a garage so no worries.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Again,
I use a tarp to cover my vehicle to the ground and secure it in the door post, when not in use, parked at home or at work.
At night I have a work lamp with a rough service bulb in the engine area that keeps things better than normal in freezing temps. It's mount permanently so All I do is un plug and go .
Uses the same or less energy than the other block heaters and covers more area, and with the tarp the wind shied is frost free.
If the bulb goes out I know before it's tool late,
.. and your block heater?????
The harder it is for your engine to start the harder it is on the starter and battery.
It's your car.
The bulb and the tarp save the engine warm up, the starter, battery, windshield wipers, door locks , security, and more.
The discipline of using a tarp provide a tool like having a portable garage.
My choice of tarp material, is shrink wrap, they use for storing boats for shipping and winter storage.
I never had to worry about ice flying off or clogging my windshield wiper or causing all the other problems related .
I would share this with others, and laugh at them as I am driving away clean and dry ,and they are still scraping the ice off their windshield, and refuse to heed my advise, hoping spring came soon.

Last edited by arleigh; 02-05-2014 at 06:33 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 06:21 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
I have this in both of our cars. The wife has no issue reaching the top of her Jeep enough to clear it and she is only 5'1".

Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I hear you, gmdealer. Snow on the roof of your car is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. The only time I excuse it (sparingly) is if it's in the middle of a large storm. My thing is if you can't reach the top of your SUV or truck to clean it off, you shouldn't be driving such a massive vehicle. My better half can't reach the top of her SUV but I make sure I take care of it for her. And when I'm not around, I purchased an extendable snow brush so she can easily get it off. She once came home with a foot of snow on her roof a few years back and we had a slight exchange of words. Of course, she won and now I'm the one who clears(ed) her roof. We now have a garage so no worries.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
If your vehicle possesses more than 10 icicles, you must register it with the Department of Public Safety (in Middletown) as an "assault car". Nobody NEEDS a high capacity icicle car with more than 10 icicles! Possession of an assault car, colloquially known as "an ice missile", without proper registration is a felony. So don't mess around. However, you do have the option of destroying your ice missile assault car or selling it out of state. Keep in mind though, that if you keep it and die, the government will not give it to your kids, proper authorities will steal it and destroy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut