Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times

Advertisements

With the increase in min. wages comes the increase in COL for everyone. I don't know about you but I'm not getting a $1.85/hr raise. When wages go up so does the cost of everything else! Enjoy your $15 dollar hamburgers at McDonalds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Most minimum wage jobs are part-time jobs and jobs for kids living with their parents. Hopefully, as you get older, you gain experience and get better jobs.
Not any more. The average minimum wage worker in the US is 31 years old. The average fast food worker is 29.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgmrg View Post
Aren't the majority of people earning minimum wage teenagers, part-time workers, college students on summer jobs, and the like--not people supporting a family or themselves?
No. Not any more.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Obviously I can't be 100% sure, but it seems some of you that support this measure have never owned or worked in a true family owned small business - at least not during your adult life when this would make sense to you.
I'd be the exception to that rule.

It makes sense to me that the minimum wage should have kept up with the COL. I believe strongly that no one working full time in the US should be in poverty.

I don't pay anyone minimum wage, so maybe this doesn't effect me-- I don't run a McDonalds or a Walmart. Speaking of Walmart-- This company is owned by the richest family in the world-- and employees more minimum wage employees than any company in the world. Is there some inequity there?

I'm a little tired of subsidizing the Walton family via food stamps and other programs for their workers... You should be too.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM

468 posts, read 709,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Not any more. The average minimum wage worker in the US is 31 years old. The average fast food worker is 29.
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that 55% of all workers making the federal minimum wage are 24 or younger and 68% are part-time workers. Tables 1 - 10; Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2012

Obviously, that only includes data from states without a higher minimum wage. I haven't been to a McDonald's in years and years, but in my town they have to import workers from Eastern Europe to work there because no one locally will work in fast food.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:31 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Quote:
I'd be the exception to that rule.

It makes sense to me that the minimum wage should have kept up with the COL. I believe strongly that no one working full time in the US should be in poverty.

I don't pay anyone minimum wage, so maybe this doesn't effect me-- I don't run a McDonalds or a Walmart. Speaking of Walmart-- This company is owned by the richest family in the world-- and employees more minimum wage employees than any company in the world. Is there some inequity there?

I'm a little tired of subsidizing the Walton family via food stamps and other programs for their workers... You should be too.
I refuse to shop at Walmart. I don't consider them a mom and pop, rather they are a corporation. But they will cut hours rather than lose their own profits.

I do agree that more wages are good for employees. But you can't dispute the added expense WILL affect a small business - Walmart-type aside.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:15 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,977,409 times
I think that there should be some exceptions to the minimum wage law. Businesses with a smaller number of employees, say fewer than 6, should be exempt. Also, anyone under age 18 should be exempt from being paid minimum wage. This would make it possible for small, locally owned businesses to survive and for teenagers to get work experience.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I refuse to shop at Walmart. I don't consider them a mom and pop, rather they are a corporation. But they will cut hours rather than lose their own profits.

I do agree that more wages are good for employees. But you can't dispute the added expense WILL affect a small business - Walmart-type aside.
If it's as simple as cutting hours-- Why don't they do it now and increase profits? Are the additional hours needed or some kind of charity?

Old 03-27-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
I think that there should be some exceptions to the minimum wage law. Businesses with a smaller number of employees, say fewer than 6, should be exempt. Also, anyone under age 18 should be exempt from being paid minimum wage. This would make it possible for small, locally owned businesses to survive and for teenagers to get work experience.
Agreed-- but that would be too much like smart... I don't expect "smart" from our politicians too often.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Quote:
If it's as simple as cutting hours-- Why don't they do it now and increase profits? Are the additional hours needed or some kind of charity?
Do they seem overstaffed to you? I haven't been in a Walmart for well over 10 years, but I have been in Target, Home Depot, grocery stores, even Sears - and if anything they already seem understaffed. Stop & Shop severly cut back staff in the Glastonbury area a few months ago.

RogerAnthony - great idea! But mlassoff is right, probably too smart to be implemented
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut