Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:29 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times

Advertisements

What your thoughts on this

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut state lawmakers have become the first in the country to pass legislation increasing the state’s minimum wage to $10.10 an hour by 2017, the same rate President Barack Obama wants for the federal minimum wage.
Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy applauded the move, saying he’ll sign it Thursday in New Britain, where Obama appeared to press for a $10.10 national wage.
In back-to-back votes Wednesday, the bill passed the House of Representatives, 87-54; and the Senate, 21-14.

The National Employment Law Project said Connecticut is the first state to pass a $10.10 minimum wage bill. Similar proposals are also being considered by lawmakers in Maryland, Massachusetts, Hawaii and other states.
Republicans roundly criticized the bill, saying it would hurt struggling small business owners and stymie job growth.

Obama lauded the legislation’s passage in the following statement released Wednesday night:
“Today, the Connecticut Legislature took an important step towards raising the state minimum wage to $10.10 an hour and giving more Connecticut workers the raise they deserve.
“When I visited Connecticut earlier this month I was joined by Governor Malloy and three of his fellow New England governors, who represent just a few of the many states, cities, and counties across our country working to raise their minimum wages.
“I support these efforts, and I commend Governor Malloy for his leadership. But to truly make sure our economy rewards the hard work of every American, Congress must act.
“I hope Members of Congress, governors, state legislators and business leaders across our country will follow Connecticut’s lead to help ensure that no American who works full time has to raise a family in poverty, and that every American who works hard has the chance to get ahead.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I know times are tough, but a small increase in the minimum wage will, IMO, hurt small business owners. I don't think it's a sound economic move.

That's all I'll say here, because I know exactly where this thread is headed.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:55 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Stores might have to raise their prices and cost of living will go up a bit

Old 03-26-2014, 07:59 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,155 times
I expect many business to either shut down or start paying people under the table. That amount of money is simply not feasible for small businesses with only a few employees where the owner barely stays afloat financially.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
I imagine that when (if?) my kids get their first summer job, they will be getting paid off the books. No way will my unskilled teenagers be worth $10.10 an hour. Wonder if there is any exception made for part time teen workers vs. full-time adults?

Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
It's a lot more than $10.10 and hour, with social security contributions and other contributions.

The business have three choices. The first choice is to pass the cost to the customer. But if they can't do that they have other choices - cut back hours, layoff people, or just close up shop.

In other words, the owner of a Subway franchise might be spending more time making sandwiches than he does now, and less time on the golf course, to the detriment of the entry level worker that really needs the job.

Also, McDonalds is gutting a lot of their restaurants. Would not surprise me if you start ordering from a computer rather than a human. It's called unintended consequences that clueless liberals don't think about.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I imagine that when (if?) my kids get their first summer job, they will be getting paid off the books. No way will my unskilled teenagers be worth $10.10 an hour. Wonder if there is any exception made for part time teen workers vs. full-time adults?
There are no exceptions. You know how hard it is already for an unskilled teenager to get a real job? You can really forget about it now. Especially that poor kid in Bridgeport, Hartford or New Haven. I'm sure the illustrious governor has not even thought about this issue.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 PM

167 posts, read 330,039 times
You can tell these politicans don't know how small businesses work.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:55 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Hamburger-making machine churns out custom burgers at industrial speeds

"The company points out that a machine that could make burgers with minimum human intervention would not only provide huge savings in labor costs, but would also reduce preparation space with a burger kitchen replaced by a much smaller and cheaper stainless-steel box."

Old 03-26-2014, 09:22 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
It's a lot more than $10.10 and hour, with social security contributions and other contributions.

The business have three choices. The first choice is to pass the cost to the customer. But if they can't do that they have other choices - cut back hours, layoff people, or just close up shop.

In other words, the owner of a Subway franchise might be spending more time making sandwiches than he does now, and less time on the golf course, to the detriment of the entry level worker that really needs the job.

Also, McDonalds is gutting a lot of their restaurants. Would not surprise me if you start ordering from a computer rather than a human. It's called unintended consequences that clueless liberals don't think about.
I had to travel to eastern Ohio for a funeral and there was a fast food joint where you had to place your order at some type of a menu computer; I expect to see more of that in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut