Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:40 PM

684 posts, read 812,556 times

Advertisements

Min wage was not meant to be a career pay, it is a start for someone with NO experience. You work your way up the ladderin life, things are not given or handed out to people. I agree that the min wage prices are low and should be higher but it shouldnt be a cushion for someone that wants to do nothing, not get an education, not work any harder , but yet wants to make the same pay that other people bust their ass for. Life was never meant to be easy or fair , money dont come easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 10:47 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Min wage was not meant to be a career pay, it is a start for someone with NO experience. You work your way up the ladderin life, things are not given or handed out to people. I agree that the min wage prices are low and should be higher but it shouldnt be a cushion for someone that wants to do nothing, not get an education, not work any harder , but yet wants to make the same pay that other people bust their ass for. Life was never meant to be easy or fair , money dont come easy.
Against my better judgement I'll take a stab at this.

Every class can only have one valedictorian. Not everyone is smart enough or capable enough to be more than a burger flipper, floor sweeper, or (insert other low level job here).

In addition if everyone had a bachelor's degree that would become the new floor and all bachelor degree's would be devalued. If you actually have a college degree you don't want more people to have them. That would be against your own economic interests.

As for "working up the ladder" that would be nice if we had a merit based society especially in employment. As it stands now, a lot of promotions and/or top level positions are obtained thru, nepotism, favoritism, and patronage. This is even more true during difficult economic times.

If "working up the ladder" worked in practice a person who started working at McDonald's at age 16 @ minimum wage would be the manager in 10 years making $60,000 per year. Now ask yourself, How many managers do you need at McDonald's? Whatever that number is, ultimately there wouldn't be enough positions for everyone who "worked their way up the ladder" to be a manager at McDonald's. And we would still have burger flippers making minimum wage.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:31 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I think it should be tied to the cost of living somehow. Just include the basic costs of housing, food, clothes, and transportation. The transportation I would define as bus or train transport, not privately owned vehicles.
Not a bad idea. I would much rather have it pegged to some independent metric (cost of living, inflation) than have it as a political issue that pops up every now and again. Just set it and forget it.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:58 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Not a bad idea. I would much rather have it pegged to some independent metric (cost of living, inflation) than have it as a political issue that pops up every now and again. Just set it and forget it.
Having a minimum wage with automatic COLA adjustments isn't a perfect solution either, as it would essentially force regular increases across all wage tiers. COLA works best for defined benefit situations, like Social Security payments.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Against my better judgement I'll take a stab at this.

Every class can only have one valedictorian. Not everyone is smart enough or capable enough to be more than a burger flipper, floor sweeper, or (insert other low level job here).

In addition if everyone had a bachelor's degree that would become the new floor and all bachelor degree's would be devalued. If you actually have a college degree you don't want more people to have them. That would be against your own economic interests.

As for "working up the ladder" that would be nice if we had a merit based society especially in employment. As it stands now, a lot of promotions and/or top level positions are obtained thru, nepotism, favoritism, and patronage. This is even more true during difficult economic times.

If "working up the ladder" worked in practice a person who started working at McDonald's at age 16 @ minimum wage would be the manager in 10 years making $60,000 per year. Now ask yourself, How many managers do you need at McDonald's? Whatever that number is, ultimately there wouldn't be enough positions for everyone who "worked their way up the ladder" to be a manager at McDonald's. And we would still have burger flippers making minimum wage.
I get what you are saying but the point is, dont settle with just min wage and think that should be a career but people shouldnt be poor either. If someone feels they are stuck at a min wage pay, they should either A. look for another job or B. evaluate what they are doing and look to make more aka do more work etc.

Not capable to be more then a burger flipper? Please, if you have some kind of handicap holding you back or a mental disability okay i can see it being hard but majority of the min wage workers , well you can see they are just lazy and dont care.

Even with no experience i have never worked a job that actually paid me min wage, i was always able to get more to start out, worked hard , learned, wanted to do more, pick up more responsibilities , and make more money. Managers come in many different ways and fields, and not everyone wants the responsibility of being a manager. Sorry but if your just sitting at a register pushing buttons all day and nothing else well then yea your pay is not going to be much, thats just how this country operates, we have options

As a previous business owner, i could never pay someone working at my register the same rate as a chef BUT i never pay anyone min wage either regardless.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:48 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
What a completely stupid argument. Most people working minimum wage jobs today are not teenagers or bored retirees looking to keep busy. Most minimum wage workers today are breadwinners for their families, believe it or not. And nearly 100% of their income goes to bare survival (food, clothing, etc.). That leaves them with NO leftover money to pursue any form of economic advancement, training or education whatsoever. In the days of slavery, the slaves worked super hard and were provided food and clothing by the slave owner. Today, minimum wage people are working super hard and are provided money to purchase that same food and clothing themselves.

I support the $15.00 minimum wage more than ever now. Let them make more money. Let them pay more taxes. Let the business owner deduct more wages paid on their tax returns. Let consumer spending increase. Let businesses make more revenues, and therefore create more jobs. Time and again, supply side economics has proven NOT to work.

In the 2016 election next year, income inequality will be the #1 issue in the nation and people will vote overwhelmingly for the Democratic candidate, including myself, who has also become a victim here in FFC. I can't wait for some REAL regime change, in this nation full of classists, racists and greedy, selfish business men.

I look down upon wealthy people more than ever now. We need to return to a time where someone can work 40 hours a week and receive a substantial paycheck and benefits. We did it in the 1950's. We can retweak the formula again NOW.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
What a completely stupid argument. Most people working minimum wage jobs today are not teenagers or bored retirees looking to keep busy. Most minimum wage workers today are breadwinners for their families, believe it or not. And nearly 100% of their income goes to bare survival (food, clothing, etc.). That leaves them with NO leftover money to pursue any form of economic advancement, training or education whatsoever. In the days of slavery, the slaves worked super hard and were provided food and clothing by the slave owner. Today, minimum wage people are working super hard and are provided money to purchase that same food and clothing themselves.

I support the $15.00 minimum wage more than ever now. Let them make more money. Let them pay more taxes. Let the business owner deduct more wages paid on their tax returns. Let consumer spending increase. Let businesses make more revenues, and therefore create more jobs. Time and again, supply side economics has proven NOT to work.

In the 2016 election next year, income inequality will be the #1 issue in the nation and people will vote overwhelmingly for the Democratic candidate, including myself, who has also become a victim here in FFC. I can't wait for some REAL regime change, in this nation full of classists, racists and greedy, selfish business men.

I look down upon wealthy people more than ever now. We need to return to a time where someone can work 40 hours a week and receive a substantial paycheck and benefits. We did it in the 1950's. We can retweak the formula again NOW.
Coming from someone that makes a base salary of 75k , seems like you have a management problem. You have zero debt , single , and make good money but yet your a victim ? Lol . Please

Old 01-05-2015, 08:44 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Has anyone been to fast food place since the wages went up?

I noticed at my local DD a medium coffee was $2. Starting December 30 (it was a couple days before Jan 1) the coffee is now $2.10. Not sure if the increase was the sole contributor, but I'm sure it doesn't help.

Wondering if anyone else has seen a change in pricing?

Old 01-05-2015, 09:41 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Coming from someone that makes a base salary of 75k , seems like you have a management problem. You have zero debt , single , and make good money but yet your a victim ? Lol . Please
I'm confused... What's wrong with the fact that he makes 75k? Someone that is making out with a decent salary can empathize with others. At my highest I personally made 67K... not as high as Nep I know, but what I made didn't exactly put me in "rolling in dough" status. I'm not sure where you're from but 75k is just a scratch of the surface in FFC!

Living a minimum wage life must be incredibly stressful. I'd be all for changes that help out these people!

Old 01-05-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I'm confused... What's wrong with the fact that he makes 75k? Someone that is making out with a decent salary can empathize with others. At my highest I personally made 67K... not as high as Nep I know, but what I made didn't exactly put me in "rolling in dough" status. I'm not sure where you're from but 75k is just a scratch of the surface in FFC!

Living a minimum wage life must be incredibly stressful. I'd be all for changes that help out these people!
Im sorry you are confused. He is not forced to live where he lives, choices. Sometimes we all cant get what we want in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut