Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:32 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

We all aren't a "corporate" slave but we all have one thing in common.... We all are a slave to money. Period.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:19 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
It's not just a CT thing though. This nonsense happens all over the country.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
my boss-man say no

Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times
I think advancements in technology was the game changer. This constant 24/7 connectivity has not only eroded work/personal boundaries, but pretty much destroyed them. I know 2006 was the turning point for me -- it was when my company issued me my first blackberry. Quality of my personal time took a nose dive immediately. I fondly remember (and miss terribly) the days when you left work at the end of the day, and didn't have to be reminded of it until the next, and weekends were all yours without any interruption. I feel bad for younger ones who grew up in this digital age. It's really exhausting. Just recently I've started to set out of office messages when I take vacation time which clearly state in no uncertain terms that I will no access to email at all, and that you should contact so and so if you require immediate assistance. And I intentionally leave my bb at the office so that I won't be tempted to look at it. I'm pretty sure my bosses don't appreciate it, but hey, oh well

Old 04-18-2014, 02:47 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I think advancements in technology was the game changer. This constant 24/7 connectivity has not only eroded work/personal boundaries, but pretty much destroyed them. I know 2006 was the turning point for me -- it was when my company issued me my first blackberry. Quality of my personal time took a nose dive immediately. I fondly remember (and miss terribly) the days when you left work at the end of the day, and didn't have to be reminded of it until the next, and weekends were all yours without any interruption. I feel bad for younger ones who grew up in this digital age. It's really exhausting. Just recently I've started to set out of office messages when I take vacation time which clearly state in no uncertain terms that I will no access to email at all, and that you should contact so and so if you require immediate assistance. And I intentionally leave my bb at the office so that I won't be tempted to look at it. I'm pretty sure my bosses don't appreciate it, but hey, oh well
My job requires us to all have iPhones so that we can read our emails from home. However, I choose not to. And I don't care. It hasn't affected me. Who the hell wants to go home and be checking e-mails for their job???

I can't stand when management tries to push down THEIR "work ethic" onto their employees. No. I have my own work ethic. You have YOURS. Leave me alone. My work ethic is M-F 9-5 and occasional overtime if absolutely necessary. Fine. But don't expect me to be thinking about work 24/7.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:01 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My job requires us to all have iPhones so that we can read our emails from home. However, I choose not to. And I don't care. It hasn't affected me. Who the hell wants to go home and be checking e-mails for their job???

I can't stand when management tries to push down THEIR "work ethic" onto their employees. No. I have my own work ethic. You have YOURS. Leave me alone. My work ethic is M-F 9-5 and occasional overtime if absolutely necessary. Fine. But don't expect me to be thinking about work 24/7.
Yep. I know you're quite a bit younger than me, so you never experienced what it was like before all these intrusive gadgets. LOL! It was wonderful. We all worked hard, but there was always a regular and absolute end to our work days. There are no boundaries anymore, and I think there lies the problem. A lot of us, me included, feel the burnout. Good for you for tuning out. I need to do that more often, and not just when I take vacation.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:15 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

You must not like your job, and that's unfortunate. I love my job enough to think about it 24/7 and my coworkers and I use our personal cell phones to communicate on and off the clock. Find something you're passionate about and you won't have any issues with vacation time, overtime, or pay.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:49 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You must not like your job, and that's unfortunate. I love my job enough to think about it 24/7 and my coworkers and I use our personal cell phones to communicate on and off the clock. Find something you're passionate about and you won't have any issues with vacation time, overtime, or pay.
I agree with Kid.

You can be just about anything you want. Pick something your passionate about and the money will come. I've been fortunate to pick an industry and a career path that I have thoroughly enjoyed. I work 50-60 hours a week-- but then again I don't feel like I work at all.

Whether your passion is programming computers, flying airplanes or making furniture, if you do what you love you'll never "work".

Old 04-18-2014, 07:32 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,207,659 times
Im a car guy, which is how I got into the car biz. Ive been doing the same thing for 27 years.......i dont love it anymore but it pays my bills. I'm an extremely hard worker and valued employee. I give 100℅ from 8-6 everyday. But it ends there.Its just a job. Once I clock out, I turn work off. I don't think about it, I don't care about it. Balance of personal life is important.I work enough hours and I work through lunch. When work is over, I spend my time with my wife or work on my music as I am also a professional musician.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What's your profession, kid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut