Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I was also going to say Kent and Salisbury.

Also, one time I drove through the town center of Redding and was shocked at how ANCIENT it looked.

I grew up in Redding. It's a beautiful, rural town but there is nothing really to see in the center; just some white-steepled churches, the town green, etc which are lovely and quaint but unless things have changed drastically since I was last there, you'll not find any sidewalks or cafes. There's the Aspetuck orchard just over the town line in Easton which is nice for apples and cider in the Fall.

Ridgefield has a lovely downtown with restaurants and cafes and a long main street with sidewalks and grand old homes to look at. But I'm not sure if that's as rural as you're looking for.

I think that Kent is a great suggestion. It's rural and charming and the surrounding countryside provides for a nice, scenic drive. If you're looking for something nearer to the coast (and less rural), I'd suggest Madison; Hammonnasset Beach has a nice boardwalk that I enjoy in the cool Fall weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 12:25 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Not the geography; the people. Kent has a rude NYC vibe.
Actually thats prob from the locals who detest their small town being runover and clogged up by NYCers on the weekends. Lol.. Except for those few merchants on main st.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:41 PM

679 posts, read 1,190,798 times
I'd strongly advise you not to look in Redding if you like having electricity run through your house, you like driving on paved, plowed roads, and you like to be within 20 driving minutes of a jug of whole milk. If not, you're looking at the right "kind" of rural.

Ex-Redding resident (15 years)

Old 06-11-2014, 07:00 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeworm View Post
I'd strongly advise you not to look in Redding if you like having electricity run through your house, you like driving on paved, plowed roads, and you like to be within 20 driving minutes of a jug of whole milk. If not, you're looking at the right "kind" of rural.

Ex-Redding resident (15 years)
Uh... isn't that kind of the tradeoff you make when living in a rural area? You usually lose electricity and are the last to be restored; your roads can be unpaved and last to be plowed; and you live far from busy commercial areas so you have to drive a distance to buy things like milk. Jay

Old 06-11-2014, 07:37 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,469 times
I have the big Dodge HEMI 4x4, sounds like my kind of place. The peace and beauty is what I like. Wake up in the am, hear the birds chirpin' not "beep-beep learn how to drive you a-hole."

Being in the technical trades I don't need to live in or near NYC, I've made a decent living no matter what the demographic because all my skills and training are not confined to a certain area.

It would be nice to have some hiking/biking trails and a grocery store, gas station, and the like. But I don't need much more then that.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:01 AM

69 posts, read 157,049 times
One thing to keep in mind is that no place in Connecticut is truly rural. People in Connecticut have very different defintions of "small town" and "rural" as people in other parts of the country. If you are coming from the Midwest, for example, your definition of rural will likely be very different than how the term is used in Connecticut.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:31 AM

Gotcha

Old 06-17-2014, 08:33 AM

If I decide to make a move I guess I better go see what Connecticut's definition of country town actually is.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
If "goin mudding" with that Hemi on any monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday, or saturday night, and finishing it off with friends around the campfire with some PBR and a lil target practice is your idea of rural, theres plenty rural in Ct.

Sunday is reserved for fishing and washing the truck.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formermainer13 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that no place in Connecticut is truly rural. People in Connecticut have very different defintions of "small town" and "rural" as people in other parts of the country. If you are coming from the Midwest, for example, your definition of rural will likely be very different than how the term is used in Connecticut.
That is so true. For instance, I don't personally find Redding to be all that rural, you are a short drive to surrounding towns if you need anything. However, some people think a 15 minute drive to the nearest store means you live in the bowels of the earth. They would be shocked to move away from the coastline and see how rural many parts of the country truly are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut