Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Oh Lord. I'm not going to post the numerous credible history sources that prove the man was a disgusting individual, look into rape as another one of his crimes.
He never raped anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3
He was a pathetic excuse for humanity, and anyone who promotes him, well.....I'll say no more....Antonio...although I will say it's a good thing that many schools now list his crimes in school each year when teaching about him, and many states no longer give students the day off for Columbus Day.
It is a shame that nonsense is being promoted, but it is a sign of the times.

Quote:
Editing to say it was okay that he was involved in slavery and worse, because that was the norm back then?
Today its quite normal to have pets, people kill insects as if its nothing, and go to the zoo to see animals kept in virtual bondage for their own enjoyment and that of their kids. People even travel thousands of miles to see killer whales forced to do all sorts of unnatural things in a gigantic pool which is nothing short than a jail cell for that poor thing. And people love it so much that they take their children so it becomes part of their warm and fuzzy memory. The dolphins have it worse!

Quote:
How can you possibly state that anyone involved with such behavior, and is now subsequently judged poorly by people, is just "modern nonsense"?
It is modern nonsense because you can't judge the past with modern morality. In the future people might be disgusted with everyone that today have cats, dogs, lizards, birds and all sorts of other animals in what they might consider slavery. Poor things kept under leash and prevented from being their natural self in the wild.

I really hope you don't own any pets, unless you don't mind that the people of the future that are like you (judges the past by ignoring the historical context) might judge your type as the worst thing to had ever lived for being so heartless. A master of animals, that's what they will consider pet owners and they might even see the selling and artificial breeding of these creatures as the most horrific thing.

Today its no big deal, but the key word is TODAY.

The other side of the coin is that someone in the future will be more like me and not so much like you. They will say that judging the past by ignoring its context is futile and creates a false impression of the people of the past (in this case of US). They will say that pet owners of the early 21st century were not evil people, because the moral standards of our time regarding the purposefully breeding/selling/buying of animals for human enjoyment and enslavement is not what it might be in the future. These are the smarter people I'm talking about, the one's that see things as they are and don't ignore anything in order to create a moralistic statement that is one-sided and completely incorrect at best.

Quote:
I'm just horrified that you would say such a thing. I am really done here, I'm just appalled. Simply being a good navigator doesn't excuse his behavior.
Keep ignoring the reality of his times. I already pointed it out that the people that like to paint Columbus as an evil man ignore a lot of things in order to judge him out of context. Thanks for proving my point!

You could had simply said that you don't have any arguments to contradict everything I said (cited too) and be done with it.

At the end of the day, Christopher Columbus was a very religious man who started every journey with a prayer and always had a priest to ensure everything went according to the morality of his times. He died without torment regarding his conscience because based on the morality of his times, he knew that he did nothing wrong. Of course, 500 odd years later morality has changed, but to judge him on our modern moral sense is quite stupid, to put it bluntly.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-03-2014 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
He never raped anyone.

:
You were there???

Pretty affirmative statement for someone a few hundred years removed. In reality one doesnt even know for sure if their best friend, relatives etc. are completely innocent of something like that. To declare that you know every mans action from hundreds of years ago with such certainty is pretty funny.

Even if he didnt, its clear that he did enough ugly things during his conquests that its certainly not something that deserves celebration. Staying "home" is the best thing Columbus could have done for the Native Americans.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:41 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
It's really sad that Columbus wasn't a 21st century metrosexual.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Christopher Columbus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The same childhood friend reported in a letter that Columbus had provided one of the captured indigenous women to him. He wrote, "While I was in the boat, I captured a very beautiful Carib woman, whom the said Lord Admiral (Columbus) gave to me. When I had taken her to my cabin she was naked—as was their custom. I was filled with a desire to take my pleasure with her and attempted to satisfy my desire. She was unwilling, and so treated me with her nails that I wished I had never begun. But—to cut a long story short—I then took a piece of rope and whipped her soundly, and she let forth such incredible screams that you would not have believed your ears. [60] This letter has been interpreted by some as providing evidence that Columbus knowingly aided the rape of captured indigenous people.[61]

Ah, what a guy. But I'm sure he was kind to animals. This does relate to the thread's topic, as Christopher Columbus enslaved Jamaicans. I wonder how they feel about him?

Old 06-05-2014, 02:04 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
This thread has gone off topic. Please return to the topic of the OP or the thread will be shut down. JayCT, Moderator

Old 07-09-2015, 08:37 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Puerto Rico's Debt Crisis Could Lead To CT Migration

Tremors from Puerto Rican debt crisis likely to be felt in CT | The CT Mirror

Old 07-09-2015, 10:50 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I don't think a significant PR migration will be felt in CT. PRs now move in large numbers to the sunbelt, especially to Central Florida. Osceola County is well on its way to becoming an extension of Puerto Rico.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:58 PM

642 posts, read 858,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I've always had great experiences with Jamaican-Americans. Hardworking, honest, happy.

I travel a lot for my job and work in many different locations. A large % of the staff I see are from Jamaica. They are the nicest happiest people I know. I play a lot of Bob Marley so they really like my music. I dig that.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:05 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
My brothers now deceased father in law was from Jamaica and he made the most amazing Jamaican rum punch.

Not to mention the food.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 PM

77 posts, read 76,128 times
Never would have guessed we had a large Jamaican population but my area is more Central/South American than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut