Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 06:44 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times

Advertisements

Some of my co-worker friends at my fulltime job are from Jamaica. All of them are nice, friendly folks. I remember the Courant reported a few months back that Hartford has the 3rd highest per capita % of Jamaican Americans in the country. I'm not sure if they were referring strictly to the city (which they may have been) but Bloomfield and Windsor have large concentrations of them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 07:34 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
The Jamaican's were brought in along with the BWI to work the fields as farm labor,there was housing for them on River Rd off Kennedy Rd.They were very good workers.
I do not know how many of you had seen the movie Parish,it was filmed in part on Kennedy Road's tobacco field.I worked in some of those fields,if my mind serves me I believe Sid Hunington was in picture,his truck picked us up at 7 or so.
The government stopped it and said they had to use American workers.They than tried Puerto Rican help etc.A lot of help brought in from other states.
At this time agriculture was a primary business in Ct,I and many others worked the fields around Windsor and the Ct valley.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times
I used to do some recording studio work for a Jamaican in the south end of Hartford. He was a construction worker but also a reggae artist on the side. Great man. They are a very earthy people that just enjoy life. Really enjoyed going to his cookouts.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 AM

267 posts, read 447,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Lol, people getting upset over history and playing hush hush...

Anyways, CT is 75% White, if I recall correctly. Around that. The percentage is definitely going down with less births by Whites and more by the minorities. I hope I can see a drastic change in that by the next Census rolls around. We'll have to see how CT develops.
Did you just say what I think you did? You hope to see a huge increase in white births as opposed to other ethnicities?

If so then that was an extremely racist remark. CT has been a racially tolerant state for decades. There is in fact no difference in people other than skin pigment and the environment they grow up in. Most latin-americans my age don't even have a spanish sounding accent. In fact I know a few that can't even speak Spanish (or Portuguese). In about 30 years(barring a world war) most people will have settled their families in the area which they choose to stay for generations to come. There will be very few people that are of a single ethnicity. American will not be defined as white or native indian. It will simply be defined as being born in America. Most European Americans will stop defining themselves as German, Irish, and Italian. American (or mutt) will be the terms most prevalently heard.

I was born a "mutt" (Irish, English, Portuguese, Lebanese, and prob some other stuff). Almost all of my friends are latin or african american. I have true distain for anyone who thinks that a better place= a whiter place. That is all.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
I'm not sure I buy this report entirely. I see way more Hispanic than Jamaican people around the state, regardless of town. So I would think the numbers are skewed since they are not counting illegal aliens.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 AM

678 posts, read 846,558 times
Dang, how did Lebanese get in with a bunch of Western Europe? Lol! Naw, mate. You misread my statement. I meant the other way around! As in, fewer White births and more minority births is what I expect from the next Census rollout. I'm hoping Connecticut can become more diverse than it is. Hopefully a 65/35 split by 2020. I don't believe the notion of Whiter place = Better place. Fortunately, not just Connecticut, but typically the entire Northeast and West are tolerant of ethnicities and races. Some other states stand out as well like Michigan.

I'm a minority myself and a full breed at that. Also, just a pet peeve, don't mean to be so pedantic, but it's Native American, not Native Indian, unless you mean someone from India. The only Indians in this entire world are that of India. American Indian is an insulting term, if you ask me.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:12 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Lol, people getting upset over history and playing hush hush...

Anyways, CT is 75% White, if I recall correctly. Around that. The percentage is definitely going down with less births by Whites and more by the minorities. I hope I can see a drastic change in that by the next Census rolls around. We'll have to see how CT develops.
Quote:
Dang, how did Lebanese get in with a bunch of Western Europe? Lol! Naw, mate. You misread my statement. I meant the other way around! As in, fewer White births and more minority births is what I expect from the next Census rollout. I'm hoping Connecticut can become more diverse than it is. Hopefully a 65/35 split by 2020. I don't believe the notion of Whiter place = Better place. Fortunately, not just Connecticut, but typically the entire Northeast and West are tolerant of ethnicities and races. Some other states stand out as well like Michigan.

I'm a minority myself and a full breed at that. Also, just a pet peeve, don't mean to be so pedantic, but it's Native American, not Native Indian, unless you mean someone from India. The only Indians in this entire world are that of India. American Indian is an insulting term, if you ask me.

Uh, really? What a disgusting, racist remark. Who cares what race people here are, as long as they are good people? I don't think your statement was "misread". I think you're just backpedaling because someone called you out on your ignorance.

I don't know why I'm even bothering. People like you will never change.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Ok well your wording was strange. I think questioning where my Lebanese ancestry came from is still showing slight prejudice but I'll let it slide. Lol. Sorry I misinterpreted. I'm still glad you unintentionally gave me the opportunity to dish out my strong opinion.

I don't subscribe to the political correctness theory. You're either racist or you aren't. It's the 21st century and with all races becoming intertwined there should be no hatred caused by calling someone of a certain race a term that isn't politically correct unless, of course, it's said in a hateful and racist manner.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:41 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
A question...... Have any of you looked at the crime stats in Jamaica ? The leading murder country, in terms of per capita crimes, in the western hemisphere, exceeded only by South Africa.

I live in Toronto, which has all most exactly the same population as the entire population of Jamaica. About three million people in each place. Guess which one has 1200 homicides a YEAR? No it isn't Toronto.

So, my question is a simple one........How and why are the Jamaicans who live in Jamaica, so violent , but the ones who move to a US State, are not ? Any body with an answer to that ?

link.2013 bloodier than 2012 - News - JamaicaObserver.com

By the way, here in Toronto, many of our "most wanted criminals " are Jamaicans, or the kids of Jamaican immigrants.

link.Toronto murders drop after Jamaica-based gang crackdown - Canada - CBC News

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Uh, really? What a disgusting, racist remark. Who cares what race people here are, as long as they are good people? I don't think your statement was "misread". I think you're just backpedaling because someone called you out on your ignorance.

I don't know why I'm even bothering. People like you will never change.
I knew I wasn't going to be the only one to notice that.. Apparently it was meant as the opposite but it seemed blatant based on the wording used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut