Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:28 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times

Advertisements

NEW HAVEN >> Grill up the jerk chicken. Start rocking to the reggae beat. Jamaicans are now the largest group of immigrants in Connecticut.

While that may appear surprising, given the growing presence of Latinos, the count of 2010 data by the Pew Research Center’s Fact Tank counts countries of birth, not ethnicity.

And Jamaicans outrank any other country.

“Most of us moved here since the ’80s. ... Connecticut is more a family place,” said Gregory Martin, 35, who has owned the Caribbean Connection take-out for nine years. “You can raise your family here.

“Connecticut people are nicer in a lot of ways.”

Martin was grilling jerk chicken on an enormous coal-fired grill, with smoke pouring into the street outside his store at 370 Whalley Ave.

As to why he didn’t move to a warmer state, Martin said “more disasters happen” down South.

A friend, Nicholas McDonald, 38, who was visiting with his 12-week-old daughter Isaballa, has been in New Haven since 1993.

“I love it here. This is America, the greatest country in the world,” he said. “You’re here to grow … to take the opportunities.”

McDonald said he’s been working in food service at Southern Connecticut State University for 20 years. A relative, Garfield Pilliner, was named New Haven’s teacher of the year.

For recreation, he runs track and plays field hockey in New York.

In Connecticut, there are “a lot of trees, a lot of greens; it’s more like the islands in that sense, unless you’re from Kingston, where it’s more like New York City.”

Believe it or not, McDonald — who is in fact from Kingston — likes Connecticut because “I like the season change. I don’t like the cold, but I like the season change. It’s different.”

It’s not that there are a lot of Jamaicans in Connecticut compared with other groups; it’s just that Connecticut has a really diverse immigrant population.

In fact, Jamaicans hold the edge with 36,000, “next was about 30,000 Indians, then Poland with about 28,500; Mexico was actually fourth with about 24,700,” said Jens Krogstad of the Pew Center.

“The reason Jamaicans are No. 1 in Connecticut is in part because there are very few immigrants in Connecticut to begin with,” Krogstad said.

But Connecticut happens to have a really diverse immigrant population, though there are not that many of any one group, Krogstad said. While Jamaicans comprise the largest contingent, immigrants are only 8 percent of the population, whereas California is composed of about 27 percent migrants. Most of the Jamaicans in New Haven came to join family, almost all those interviewed said.

Jamaicans may not hold on to their No. 1 ranking for long. The largest group “could definitely change in a relatively short period of time,” Krogstad said. In 2000, for example, Poles and Mexicans were the largest groups.

New Haven isn’t the center of Jamaican culture in Connecticut. Krogstad said there are 5,347 in the New Haven-Milford metro area, 10,355 from Bridgeport down to Norwalk and 17,874 in Greater Hartford.

At Island Spice, 459 Winthrop Ave., a customer who wouldn’t give his name said, “I know for a fact Hartford is loaded up with Jamaicans.” In those cities, there are many Jamaican or West Indian restaurants and reggae clubs

But there is a definite reggae beat to the Elm City, along with the food of the islands. Nadine Tracy, owner of Island Spice, says she serves up all kinds of Jamaican food: jerk chicken and goat, meat patties, oxtail. A native of Clarenden, she’s been in the United States almost three years. “I like the quietness,” she said. “The less hustle and bustle.” She too arrived because of family. “My father was here. There’s more opportunity here.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 09:57 PM

207 posts, read 273,002 times
great country with great people

Old 06-01-2014, 08:51 AM

21,742 posts, read 28,070,632 times
I worked with a couple people whose parents were from Jamaica. They are hard working people for the most part.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:02 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Interesting. I figured if it was not a country from Latin America, it would have been Indian or Chinese.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:06 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times

JAMAICAN MUSIC VIDEO VOL.8 -Video Swag 2012- - YouTube

Old 06-01-2014, 10:18 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I've always had great experiences with Jamaican-Americans. Hardworking, honest, happy.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:18 AM

713 posts, read 759,351 times
I would think they are talking about Immigrants who are here legally? There's got to more then 24,700 Mexicans in this state.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:18 AM

10,079 posts, read 14,952,774 times
I've known a handful of Jamaicans in my life and they haven't given me a single reason to complain.

On another note, I guess Mexicans not just reconquering the huge sections of the west that the US basically stole (parts) bought (smaller parts) from them, but instead they are aiming towards all of the USA. LOL

That map reminds me of this advertisement that Absolut Vodka had in Mexico:

http://damianvelasco.net/wordpress/w...solut-mapa.jpg

So many Americans felt uncomfortable with that advertisement that the vodka company had to apologize. (Vodka-maker Absolut apologizes for ads - USATODAY.com)

Old 06-01-2014, 11:29 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I've known a handful of Jamaicans in my life and they haven't given me a single reason to complain.

On another note, I guess Mexicans not just reconquering the huge sections of the west that the US basically stole (parts) bought (smaller parts) from them, but instead they are aiming towards all of the USA. LOL

That map reminds me of this advertisement that Absolut Vodka had in Mexico:

http://damianvelasco.net/wordpress/w...solut-mapa.jpg

So many Americans felt uncomfortable with that advertisement that the vodka company had to apologize. (Vodka-maker Absolut apologizes for ads - USATODAY.com)

Never heard of that ad or the "outrage" because of it. Pretty ridiculous that people get all butthurt when being reminded that much that what they "have" is because it was stolen from the rightful owner's by their government.

Imagine the outrage of those who actually lived through the violence of their land being stolen from out under them. Boo hoo to those who were so offended by the ad.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:53 PM

678 posts, read 846,954 times
Lol, people getting upset over history and playing hush hush...

Anyways, CT is 75% White, if I recall correctly. Around that. The percentage is definitely going down with less births by Whites and more by the minorities. I hope I can see a drastic change in that by the next Census rolls around. We'll have to see how CT develops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut