Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:25 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Only a partisan hack of the highest order could lay the immigration problem at the feet of the current president without at least a passing mention of his predecessors.

This post tells me everything I need to know about your politics.
It's still headed by BO, and it still isn't Malloy's or Connecticut's problem. BO can send them back, the sooner the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 11:10 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
This thread has gone off topic to this forum. Please return to the topic of the OP which is housing migrant children in Southbury. JayCT, Moderator

Old 07-20-2014, 12:07 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
It's still headed by BO, and it still isn't Malloy's or Connecticut's problem. BO can send them back, the sooner the better.
Actually, no he can't.

His predecessor, GWB, signed in to law the caveat that since they are minors and from non-adjacent countries, they cannot be simply sent back without due process and a resultant hearing.

Do you get your news from Fox?

Old 07-20-2014, 03:13 AM

678 posts, read 847,395 times
Quote:
I live in Danbury, so I am quite aware of what having loads of illegals does to a school system (amongst other things.) Malloy doesn't give a rat's behind ..... where was his concern when this happened?

Illegal alien charged in crash that left two children dead in Connecticut - National Immigration Reform | Examiner.com
While I agree that man should be sentenced to much harsher penalties since I have negative tolerance for DUI cases, this story is not unheard of even by American citizens. Honestly, if you ask me, alcohol, not illegal immigration, is the bigger blame in this case. Nonetheless, that's a very sad story, especially after you hear the premise. And generally, morning is such a safe time to commute on a weekend and I feel horrible for his family. I can't imagine how it feels for the brother that survived being an only child now.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Actually, no he can't.

His predecessor, GWB, signed in to law the caveat that since they are minors and from non-adjacent countries, they cannot be simply sent back without due process and a resultant hearing.

Do you get your news from Fox?
In your previous post you claim our fearless leader BO has sent back more illegal immigrants than anyone previously. Now you claim the poor dear can't due to George Bush; a common refrain whenever BO screws up.

BTW, how many of these illegals has Westport offered to take in?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
While I agree that man should be sentenced to much harsher penalties since I have negative tolerance for DUI cases, this story is not unheard of even by American citizens. Honestly, if you ask me, alcohol, not illegal immigration, is the bigger blame in this case. Nonetheless, that's a very sad story, especially after you hear the premise. And generally, morning is such a safe time to commute on a weekend and I feel horrible for his family. I can't imagine how it feels for the brother that survived being an only child now.
You made the point perfectly .... Americans produce plenty of drunk drivers on their own. So we surely don't need to bring in illegal immigrants to do the jobs Americans won't do. Same with poorly-performing children ... doesn't Connecticut have enough of those already?

Old 07-20-2014, 01:19 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
In your previous post you claim our fearless leader BO has sent back more illegal immigrants than anyone previously. Now you claim the poor dear can't due to George Bush; a common refrain whenever BO screws up.

Both are true. Bush signed into law that unless they are from neighboring countries, they can't be immediately sent back home. This is a terrible situation but not as cut and dry as you think it is. Those kids are in horrible danger of being trafficked and I doubt you'll easily say "that's their problem".

Old 07-20-2014, 01:52 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Those kids are in horrible danger of being trafficked.
Yes. Hence why the only solution is to place them on a plane, train, bus or boat, and drop them at the door of their respective embassies. I'm shocked frankly that we aren't hearing about deviants(pedophiles) staking out the border for victims.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:29 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
Quote:

Did you miss the part where illegal immigrants who border the US are treated differently than those who don't? Or maybe you have a comprehension problem.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:55 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:

President Obama has sent back a lot of illegals--not all illegals come from south of the border but he has sent back a lot of those too.

Bush passed a law saying that you can't deport illegal minors from the countries that are now sending them. That was a well intentioned law meaning to stop child smuggling and trafficking. Now people in those countries are mis-using that law, knowing the kids will be here to stay.

So BUSH did the right thing AND OBAMA did the right thing. It's not a liberal vs conservative or Dem vs Rep issues. Most thinking people on either side are not in favor of breaking our laws and allowing illegals to come here. (However, it does make you wonder what the higher ups are thinking and why they are not listening to what the people want and putting a stop to this altogether.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut