Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Yep, because Malloy has done nothing about the large numbers of illegals already in the state, and in fact supports things like driver's licenses for illegals. Plus he loves BO, and would be more than happy to do him a favor to help him with this mess he's created. I'd suspect if we re-elect him we can expect a batch of these illegal immigrants heading our way shortly after election day.
And back in the reality based community---

1) Immigration enforcement is a federal issue.

2) Malloy turned down the request from the Federal government outright

3) There isn't a "large" number of illegals here compared to places like Texas and Arizona that are truly effected by the current crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 04:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,805,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
I never agreed in housing them in a small town within a small state. As a much more recent immigrant than majority of you, I agree that I'm not a fan of illegal immigration, but, I feel like this specifically is becoming an issue more of refugee than illegal crossing. Not saying they can't be mixed, but, I don't think it's so black and white as you people make it out to be. Nor am I speaking about illegal immigration that's been plaguing this country for a couple decades. I'm only talking about this specific issue at hand. Also, they'd be very lost in Connecticut for the most part, especially the towns where majority are white (Southbury, for example). They'd fit better where there are more Spanish speakers, preferably from Central America.

I don't pretend to know a solution, cause, I'm not aware what is viable and the exact situation of this ordeal

P.S- Man, there sure are tons of fiscal conservatives/Republicans on the Connecticut board. Thank God for a terrible representation through the Electoral College System silencing their voice, lol! Welcome to New England, welcome to America!
The problem is that the cities would be the ones tasked to house these children as they have the social services already in place. However, those services are already stretched thin and these school districts already have a disproportionate number of students requiring expensive support services. This would exasperate the problem of underperformance currently taking place resulting in further cause for sanctions and actions to penalize these districts. The result of large numbers of illegal immigrants children flooding social services, school systems, and healthcare can already be seen in many cities of California, Arizona, and Texas. Some of these same cities are the ones being criticized for not meeting matching the performance of nearby wealthier suburbs that are not facing the same challenges. Beyond the trouble with the current situation, more attention needs to be given as to how to solve our own problems of structural poverty.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:13 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,865 times
Quote:
Yep, because Malloy has done nothing about the large numbers of illegals already in the state, and in fact supports things like driver's licenses for illegals. Plus he loves BO, and would be more than happy to do him a favor to help him with this mess he's created. I'd suspect if we re-elect him we can expect a batch of these illegal immigrants heading our way shortly after election day.
I'm the furthest from a Malloy supporter you will ever find, but I also try to be fair - even to those I despise: Have you ever visited Danbury??? The illegal immigration problem there is tremendous and is stressing the city's schools, but it predates the Malloy admin BY YEARS. And if anything, it may have slightly improved and declined since Malloy took office -- but that would only be because of our sucky and sluggish CT economy. I would imagine that some of the Danbury illegals moved on to bigger/better places, or maybe even moved home because economy here in CT is so stagnant.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:35 AM

8,895 posts, read 5,376,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

1) Immigration enforcement is a federal issue.
We see what a crappy job they are doing. Don't see that it's Connecticut's job to enable crappy job performance by the Federal government.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I'm the furthest from a Malloy supporter you will ever find, but I also try to be fair - even to those I despise: Have you ever visited Danbury??? The illegal immigration problem there is tremendous and is stressing the city's schools, but it predates the Malloy admin BY YEARS. And if anything, it may have slightly improved and declined since Malloy took office -- but that would only be because of our sucky and sluggish CT economy. I would imagine that some of the Danbury illegals moved on to bigger/better places, or maybe even moved home because economy here in CT is so stagnant.
I live in Danbury, so I am quite aware of what having loads of illegals does to a school system (amongst other things.) Malloy doesn't give a rat's behind ..... where was his concern when this happened?

Illegal alien charged in crash that left two children dead in Connecticut - National Immigration Reform | Examiner.com

Old 07-19-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:

2) Malloy turned down the request from the Federal government outright
Good for him. Now if only I could be convinced he'd keep up the good work.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:54 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,865 times
Quote:
I live in Danbury, so I am quite aware of what having loads of illegals does to a school system (amongst other things.) Malloy doesn't give a rat's behind ..... where was his concern when this happened?

Illegal alien charged in crash that left two children dead in Connecticut - National Immigration Reform | Examiner.com
I don't remember that story at all. Very sad....

Old 07-19-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:

3) There isn't a "large" number of illegals here compared to places like Texas and Arizona that are truly effected by the current crisis.
You can thank your Federal government, headed by BO, for their crappy enforcement. Why is this Gov. Malloy's problem?

Old 07-19-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I don't remember that story at all. Very sad....
Well the illegal (who was just here to contribute and make a better life for himself) was sentenced to 12 years. Now we get to support him in prison.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:44 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
You can thank your Federal government, headed by BO, for their crappy enforcement. Why is this Gov. Malloy's problem?
Only a partisan hack of the highest order could lay the immigration problem at the feet of the current president without at least a passing mention of his predecessors.

This post tells me everything I need to know about your politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut