Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:52 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
These kids are HERE. They need to be housed, fed, receive medical attention NOW. Connecticut offered nothing...turned their back.

This is not a philosophical debate or hypothetical situation. I am done.
Did you even read the link to the original article? I am assuming the answer is no after reading your comments on this thread. Since you can't be bothered to click a link, let me assist:

...the building was not suitable because of its size, deteriorating conditions, complex state procedures for using surplus property, and the fact that some people are still housed at Southbury.

That is the reason why Connecticut "offered nothing" and "turned their back." I'm sorry the answer doesn't fit your agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 11:53 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Democrats .mostly, and some establishment GOP are for amnesty. Pelosi went to see some of these kids and said we are all Americans. Michelle spoke to a Latino group and just about encouraged illegal immigration. Some argue for open borders....some being people in our government.

And didn't Connecticut offer in state tuition for illegal. Stuff like that is just encouraging it. We've long known the border isnt secure but done little to fix it. This sudden inrush is also not coincidental. I believe the government knew it was coming and dis nothing to try and stop it.
None of which is the same thing as encouraging illegal immigration. I agree-- We need to fix the border.

I am looking for your posts disparaging the employers who use illegal labor. Since I know your position is consistent, where are those exactly? Where's the vitriol towards them? I guess they're not liberals, so they escape scrutiny?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:56 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
These kids are HERE. They need to be housed, fed, receive medical attention NOW. Connecticut offered nothing...turned their back.
Yes, of course, their basic human rights must be respected. And they must be sent home. Too bad the law passed under the last Republican administration is preventing that from happening expediently.

Would you prefer they were bullwhipped and caned while here?

Old 07-16-2014, 04:13 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes, of course, their basic human rights must be respected. And they must be sent home. Too bad the law passed under the last Republican administration is preventing that from happening expediently.

Would you prefer they were bullwhipped and caned while here?
Democrats are now backing off making any changes that would speed up deportations. Shocker. And check out many of their recent tweets and statements. They're calling for amnesty. Some for open borders. They clearly don't want this flow to stop. They're doing nothing to secure the border(dingy Reid says the border is secure), nothing to stop the incentive.

They're going to make their way way here to Connecticut, where Malloy will give them more incentives to stay.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:18 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
As a former longtime Connecticut resident, I am not surprised that Connecticut residents won't put their money where their liberal mouths are and take in some of these children. This deep blue state loves to vote a liberal platform, but are such hypocrites. I find this all-talk-no-action disgusting and typical liberal, " I'm for it as long as it is Not In My BackYard." Yeah, I'm angry.
So CT denies them, and you're angry. But if CT accepted them, you'd clearly still be angry.

LOL. Enjoy your day.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:29 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
So CT denies them, and you're angry. But if CT accepted them, you'd clearly still be angry.

LOL. Enjoy your day.
Perfect!!

Old 07-16-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They've allowed several plane loads into Logan in Boston. I don't know how all these thousands of children will be absorbed into the school systems or supported. They need to be sent back to their own homeland or the people in these countries will get the message that this is okay to do and that we are so rich here that we gladly pay to feed, clothe, house, and educate their families. There is barely enough money to help our own needy.

Apparently that is the message that is being broadcast on the tv channels in these countries--that if you send your kids here, they will get permission to remain here and our taxpayers will support them. It's very unfair to our own citizens.
I heard the town of Lynn, MA is being inundated right now. I saw Lynn's Mayor interviewed on tonight's local news (I'm in CT, but this was local NYC news -- NBC Channel 4).

Old 07-16-2014, 04:38 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I heard the town of Lynn, MA is being inundated right now. I saw Lynn's Mayor interviewed on tonight's local news (I'm in CT, but this was local NYC news -- NBC Channel 4).
This whole thing is just appalling.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This whole thing is just appalling.
It truly is. I just feel like there's no one in charge with a clear a definitive voice saying No Central American Parents, we can't babysit your children for the next 20 years; No, Central American Parents, we don't want your kids in our schools, because we honestly have no room for them; and BTW Central American Parents - guess what?! if you send your kids to us via smuggler/coyote who you paid $8,000 to transport them here, we will return them to you pronto/ASAP along WITH A BILL for the return trip airfare -- And of course Central American Parents - you'll be out the 8 grand you initially invested...

No one in the federal government is saying a word on this though... They are all silent. Who the heck is supposed to be in charge of something like this?!

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-16-2014 at 05:34 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 05:28 PM

678 posts, read 847,730 times
You'd change the demographic of Southbury overnight to house 2,000 kids, but, I wouldn't mind if they were scattered across the state as a whole. Alot of people don't understand how illegal immigration worked throughout the history of the United States. I'm sure some of your ancestors came here normally, but several didn't, like how several people lied about their age to fight in WWI and WWII. The reason why they're escaping their home countries is not just for the heck of it, but, deaths due to violence have eclipsed even the wars in the Middle East. I don't agree about how some of these desperate parents are sending their children alone, as young as elementary age only to reunite with them later. That's terrible, but, I certainly do think we should help out our fellow continental nations, somehow. Much more plausible in foreign policy to me than keeping dumb military bases across an ocean or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut