Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 06:21 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,865 times

Advertisements

I've been following the illegal border crossing crisis in the news lately -- not closely, but it is kind of hard these days to have the news on without hearing something about. Anyway, the problem must be significantly worse than I previously thought if the federal government is actually looking at places so far away from the border as Southbury, CT is, to house up to 2,000 migrant children. Connecticut rejects request to house children - NewsTimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:39 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I've been following the illegal border crossing crisis in the news lately -- not closely, but it is kind of hard these days to have the news on without hearing something about. Anyway, the problem must be significantly worse than I previously thought if the federal government is actually looking at places so far away from the border as Southbury, CT is, to house up to 2,000 migrant children. Connecticut rejects request to house children - NewsTimes
Good thing that the building was not suitable, I'm humane BUT these children had a home where they came from so I say ship them all back as they come in. Also "temporary" will actually mean "permanent" on the taxpayers dollars.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:50 AM

Yeah. I think I was most surprised at the sheer number they were looking to house - up to 2,000!! Where would they go to school is my first question. I would imagine Southbury's total school enrollment is is around that number, maybe a little more. It makes no sense to me -- These people in Washington really worry me. Thankfully Hartford denied this request, and I hope other options in CT aren't pursued.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:58 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
They've allowed several plane loads into Logan in Boston. I don't know how all these thousands of children will be absorbed into the school systems or supported. They need to be sent back to their own homeland or the people in these countries will get the message that this is okay to do and that we are so rich here that we gladly pay to feed, clothe, house, and educate their families. There is barely enough money to help our own needy.

Apparently that is the message that is being broadcast on the tv channels in these countries--that if you send your kids here, they will get permission to remain here and our taxpayers will support them. It's very unfair to our own citizens.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:20 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,016 times
The current situation is out of control. I'm glad to see it's transcending politics and entering the realm of practicality . Is there even 2000 students in the southbury school system? Southbury is a nice town, why would anyone even consider flooding it with migrant homeless illegal s? Kudos to the state for doing what needs to be done for the better of The State and not the party agenda.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
The current situation is out of control. I'm glad to see it's transcending politics and entering the realm of practicality . Is there even 2000 students in the southbury school system? Southbury is a nice town, why would anyone even consider flooding it with migrant homeless illegal s? Kudos to the state for doing what needs to be done for the better of The State and not the party agenda.
I just looked it up -- current total school enrollment in Southbury is 3,200. What were they thinking!?

Old 07-16-2014, 08:49 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I just looked it up -- current total school enrollment in Southbury is 3,200. What were they thinking!?
They don't think but like to dictate very much like the current POTUS.

Without going too deep here: Wanting to ruin towns, cities and states with these illegals is not something I'd tolerate - the rest is easy to figure out as how the country is being run-down these days from DC.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
As a former longtime Connecticut resident, I am not surprised that Connecticut residents won't put their money where their liberal mouths are and take in some of these children. This deep blue state loves to vote a liberal platform, but are such hypocrites. I find this all-talk-no-action disgusting and typical liberal, " I'm for it as long as it is Not In My BackYard." Yeah, I'm angry.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:14 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Good thing that the building was not suitable, I'm humane BUT these children had a home where they came from so I say ship them all back as they come in. Also "temporary" will actually mean "permanent" on the taxpayers dollars.
They need to go back home. Agreed.

The processing by INS is going way too slowly. They are also hampered by some 2007 law that requires unaccompanied alien children to be "slow-walked" through the process.

I would like to see those "real Americans" in other parts of the country instead of confronting buses in angry mobs.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
As a former longtime Connecticut resident, I am not surprised that Connecticut residents won't put their money where their liberal mouths are and take in some of these children. This deep blue state loves to vote a liberal platform, but are such hypocrites. I find this all talk and no action disgusting and typical liberal, " I'm for it as long as it is Not In My BackYard." Yeah, I'm angry.
It makes you angry when us liberals don't live up to the ridiculous false stereotypes that you believe in? Complain to Rush Limbaugh, not us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut