Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:45 PM

27 posts, read 145,410 times

Advertisements

Hi we are considering a move out of Stamford to an area that is more cost effective for housing and with better schools. Newtown is a place we are interested in, but I would like to know if anyone knows about the Jewish population.

I know there is a conservative synagogue, but they pull from many of the surrounding towns. I just don't want my kids to be the only jews in their school.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 04:17 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,756,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMOMOF3 View Post
Hi we are considering a move out of Stamford to an area that is more cost effective for housing and with better schools. Newtown is a place we are interested in, but I would like to know if anyone knows about the Jewish population.

I know there is a conservative synagogue, but they pull from many of the surrounding towns. I just don't want my kids to be the only jews in their school.

Any thoughts?
If you can, get a copy of the phone book. You might laugh, but it's very objective!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:23 PM

333 posts, read 467,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMOMOF3 View Post

Any thoughts?
The only folks I know in Newtown are all Catholic. I know Woodbridge has a significant Jewish population along with Orange. They combine to form the Amity school district which is among the best in the state. I'd highly suggest checking out Woodbridge. Beautiful town, friendly people, easy access to Metro North and New Haven.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
The only folks I know in Newtown are all Catholic.
Even though Connecticut is one of the most Catholic states with a percentage near the low- to mid-40s (almost twice the U.S. average), I don't believe any town is predominantly Catholic.

This discussion has appeared on the Connecticut forum before. If a town has a temple or synagogue, there must be a population large enough to sustain it. Check the surrounding towns to see if they have temples or synagogues, too: Brookfield, Bethel, Redding, Easton, Monroe, and Southbury. If they do, then the synagogue in Newtown most likely isn't drawing from that/those town(s).

You could also try:
Jewish Federation Greater Danbury
105 Newtown Rd
Danbury, CT 06810-4114
Tel. 203 792-6353

Last edited by Rich Lee; 12-21-2007 at 08:45 PM..

Old 12-22-2007, 05:29 AM

31 posts, read 185,760 times
Yes there are Jews in Newtown. This is the address of the synagogue (very nice country side setting):
Adath Israel Synagogue
Huntington Road
Newtown, CT 06470
Rabbi Shaul M. Praver
(203) 426-5188

Old 12-22-2007, 06:21 AM

394 posts, read 2,002,948 times
I was able to find this, I'm not sure how accurate it is. But it seems fairly typical for this area. (I am in Monroe) Newtown is beautiful with excellent schools, good luck with your search.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

70.14% of the people in Newtown, CT are religious, meaning they affiliate with a religion. 49.16% are Catholic; 9.57% are Protestant; 0.32% are LDS; 5.00% are another Christian faith; 4.40% in Newtown, CT are Jewish; 0.03% are an eastern faith; 1.67% affilite with Islam.

Ooops, editing to say I hope I'm allowed to share that link, if not I'm so sorry, and a mod can certainly remove it.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:34 AM..

Old 12-22-2007, 07:49 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times
When we lived in West Hartford, I could have sworn the entire town was Jewish, since many shops at West Hartford Center close really early on Friday nights for the shabbat. You can forget many of them on Saturdays as well. There are synagogues in practically every other block, and most orthodox Jews walk to their temples, as I believe is the custom.

If it is an option for you, you will feel very at home in WH. I don't know about the rest of CT, but schools are out on all Jewish holidays in this town. And, we don't really need to discuss the quality of schools!

Old 12-22-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
If it is an option for you, you will feel very at home in WH. I don't know about the rest of CT, but schools are out on all Jewish holidays in this town.
It's the same thing here in Cheshire.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:23 AM

394 posts, read 2,002,948 times
We have Jewish holidays off here in Monroe, too. Isn't it required by law that there is no school on Jewish holidays? I just assumed it was, but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
We have Jewish holidays off here in Monroe, too. Isn't it required by law that there is no school on Jewish holidays? I just assumed it was, but maybe I'm wrong.
It's not a state law; it's up to each school district based on student population. I know in New York, schools can't give tests on Jewish holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut