Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 11:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

I can only imagine the truck traffic on the secondary roads. At $0.20+ per mile, there are going to be a huge number of trucks on the toll-free alternate routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 01:08 PM

538 posts, read 331,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Dreading tolls. Read an article mentioning averafe woule br around 4 cents z mile. Uncertainty with Route 8 but 91 and 84 will probably be rolled. I could be paying $600 a year in tolls meh! With gas tax br anout $775-$800 a year.
To get the same funding from gasoline, they would need to raise the gas tax 65cents per gallon higher and that would capture much less out of staters using our roads.

Tolls will cause everyone to pay more you're not alone. I will have to pay more but I'm fine with it if our infrastructure can be properly funded for maintenance and other projects with all users paying their share.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:10 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,026 times
Cost me around 2.20 a day if the commuter thing actually happened. Or 2.75 without the commuter. You would have to make 20 round trips a week for commuter I wonder if that means you lose the discount for taking a vacation? Either way 500-700 more tax every yeah hooray. Also might make some of my bypasses around 84 more tempting of course it would be the same for other people as well. If I lived in a town like Newington Or Wethersfield that have surface streets used to bypass traffic on the highway I would be a bit annoyed.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:47 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
There's other ways to fund transportation

Not against tolls as other States have them. However, have to look at it States with tolls are very large in size or they use tolls for only one area of their State if a smaller State.

I could see tolls on either 84 or 91 but not up to 81 gantries.

Maybe on 91 from 18 to 49 could see gantries.

Rather see has price hikes to 60 to 70 cents a gallon for next ten years and then done away with. A State car tax that is bi-annual mixed in with automobile registration. Then privatize State bridges on highways/expressways or put tolls on them. Then convert HOV lanes over to express congestion tolls.

No one seems to talk about how much further in debt tolls will put the State with regards to building these gantries.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:54 PM

Looked at the report more. Already have a few ways around some proposed Gantries with minimal time effects. Be interesting to see if they do it. Not looking forward to the additional tax burden for the state, thou.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:54 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
You’re talking in circles. THe house Barbara and her husband wanted to buy was right near exit 23. That’s where the 291 interchange was going to be built. That’s the area she was interested in. At the time, and for some time after, some of the evidence of where the roads would be could be seen from the northbound lanes.Like I said, I lived right near it. I didn’t have to read about it. Ask your friend what Barabara’s husbands’s business interest was, without doing a google search , of course.

You can believe what you want. Ella had absolutely nothing to do with the cancellation of plans for that interchange in Rocky Hill. It may come as a surprise , but there may be times when other people here actually know more than you regarding a particular subject.

End of discussion.
Really? The Governor at the time of a major highway project’s cancelation had nothing to do with it??? You really believe that? You are the one who is wrong here. Ella Grasso ordered the Commissioner to cancel the project. That is well known. It does not matter where Barbara Surwilo’s house was located or her husbands business at this point. That has little to do with our discussion. Facts are facts. Jay

Old 11-16-2018, 03:19 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
How would tolls reduce congestion ? Or do they mean new toll revenue will be used to build and/or expand highways ? Thereby, reducing congestion. If anything tolls will push traffic to local streets. If you think there's a lot of traffic driving thru New Britain, Newington, and wEst Hartford now just wait until those tolls go up.

Its also ridiculously easy to avoid tolls on the MA/CT border. People living on RT 75 / RT 5 / Rt 20 are gonna love that new truck traffic.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
How would tolls reduce congestion ? Or do they mean new toll revenue will be used to build and/or expand highways ? Thereby, reducing congestion. If anything tolls will push traffic to local streets. If you think there's a lot of traffic driving thru New Britain, Newington, and wEst Hartford now just wait until those tolls go up.

Its also ridiculously easy to avoid tolls on the MA/CT border. People living on RT 75 / RT 5 / Rt 20 are gonna love that new truck traffic.
Figure 5 shows the toll spots proposed in the full report. Interesting methodology only one gantry per town, which makes them somewhat easy to bypass. Some are pretty hard to go around other really easy. Like the one on 91 in Enfield would be pretty easy to bypass and only add 3-4 minutes to your trip. They were trying to prevent short commuters from not using the highway it seems. Not concerned with people who jump on two exits to get across town. If you read between the lines in the report they seem to really want to target out of staters who will drive right thru. That's pretty much the theory of the New Hampshire 95 toll. Tolls on some of those roads like 291 seem a bit annoying thou.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:10 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Figure 5 shows the toll spots proposed in the full report. Interesting methodology only one gantry per town, which makes them somewhat easy to bypass. Some are pretty hard to go around other really easy. Like the one on 91 in Enfield would be pretty easy to bypass and only add 3-4 minutes to your trip. They were trying to prevent short commuters from not using the highway it seems. Not concerned with people who jump on two exits to get across town. If you read between the lines in the report they seem to really want to target out of staters who will drive right thru. That's pretty much the theory of the New Hampshire 95 toll. Tolls on some of those roads like 291 seem a bit annoying thou.

I didn't see the proposed gantries map before, but after looking at it one part really stands out. Rt 9 Old Saybrook <-> Cromwell. 4 gantries at .50 cents each 2$ per day or $4 per day round trip. This comes out to $1040 per year if someone is commuting 5 days a week.

the alternate routes around RT 9 in this area (excluding Middletown) are so simple to figure out its not even funny. Most of the roads in Middlesex county are wide open without traffic. Guess they won't be traffic free once these tolls go in.

Gotta love this. I'm also willing to bet the gas tax won't go down one cent and will probably even go up.
One bright spot is people will no longer think the roads are free.

I'm still trying to figure out how tolls reduce congestion. IF I have to be at work every day at 8:30 I can't decide to go at 9:30 now because I want to save $2 in tolls. Which this report is implying some commuters will do.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:21 PM

377 posts, read 241,101 times
Does anyone give any credit to Ella Grasso for supporting the extension of what was to be I-84 through Eastern CT in Dec 1977 ?
Regarding I 291, United States Representative William Cotter , in 1978, supported the position of the activist group Why- 291? , and asked for the $ 137 million dollars earmarked for the project set aside , to be used for mass transit.
Source: NY Times March 1978

July 11 2005 Hartford Courant article written by Steve Grant

“ I 291 Activist Dies “
Regarding the death of Charlotte Kitowski.
Within the article is states;
“ Finally in 1973 , then Governor Thomas Meskill cancelled the section of highway to run between I-91 in Windsor and I-84 in West Hartford “.

Last edited by SAE72; 11-16-2018 at 05:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut