Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 06:22 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,838,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
In fairness, this is probably the case. But this opposition included highly respected officials such as Mayor Slifka of my town, West Hartford, who presumably did have all the facts at their disposal. So I didn't attend hearings granted, but was in touch with what our town people thought of and still think of this project.
I know nobody will admit it, but I'm willing to bet the opposition from West Hartford was because the powers that be didn't want "ghetto hood people" to have easy access to West Hartford. That's history now though so doesn't really matter any more.

My biggest issue with the busway and I think it was a huge mistake was to NOT have a stop on the CCSU campus (or at least very close to campus such as at the football field) The CCSU campus as up to 20,000 students every day Monday - Friday. Very unwise to overlook that many people.

IF I understand the route correctly the CCSU bus leaves the busway then goes down Stanley St and stops in front of the admin building and then continues to West Farms. That was the same route the old CT transit used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 01:33 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,950,334 times
What this mean for Hartford ?

City's new zoning regs create a 'high opportunity' for development | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 09-06-2016, 01:49 PM

413 posts, read 317,925 times
Excerpt from HBJ.

According to Michael Freimuth, executive director of the Capital Region Development Authority, all the housing deals it financed are outpacing its early occupancy projections.

777 Main has its 285 units more than 90 percent full.
Twenty-three, or 87 percent, of The Grand's 26 units are occupied;
179 Allyn St.'s 63 apartments are full;
193-unit Spectra Boutique Apartments overlooking Constitution Plaza, too, is full.
Even 121-unit Front Street Lofts, which opened last fall, is nearly full, Freimuth said.

Apartment construction also continues in mid-town and downtown Hartford, namely the conversion of the former Hartford Office Supply building on Capitol Avenue into 112 units. Also, the 72-unit conversion of the former Capewell Horse Nails factory is headed toward its scheduled year end completion.

"By design, we identified 2016 as an absorption year and didn't bring new buildings on line,'' Freimuth said via email.
"By the end of the year however, over 200 more units will be ready for leasing,'' he wrote, "and three additional projects are or will be in construction adding another 164. We continue to entertain additional applications for projects targeting to be ready for 2018 in the downtown and are now evaluating some neighborhood efforts as well."

Old 09-06-2016, 02:06 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,950,334 times
Yard Goats are back in town deal has been reach

Deal Reached to Complete Dunkin

Old 09-06-2016, 02:39 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Seems like a good idea. Hartford like many municipalities in CT has some anti growth zoning measures I;m guessing this does away with many of them.

One thing I do find annoying from Urban planners thou this quote "people don't come to the city to park" While this is true people like me who grew up nearby to Hartford in the small and mid sized towns, like to be able to drive in and park. Honestly not having easy parking somewhere is a big deterrent to me going somewhere. There are lots of restaurants and things to do surrounding Hartford with easy parking so it has to be something really good to get me into Hartford (or have easy (not free but inexpensive) parking). If I could take light rail or even CT fasttrack in for the afternoon and evening I might view that differently but right now parking in Hartford is still important.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:51 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:

This is promising. I hope it is true. Jay

Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Go to "frog hollow" at night and then report back here and tell us how safe it is. Not only is frog hollow a ghetto its a "super ghetto" and has been that way for at least 30 years.

The area directly next to the CT Supreme Court may not be "ghetto" but when you live on the edge of a ghetto the crime bleeds into other areas. Ghetto people DO NOT stay in their ghettos.

No one is going to pay top dollar rent on an apt or buy a house on the edge of a ghetto. Especially in Hartford where the mill rate is approx 75. This isn't NYC where there's a shortage of affordable rents/houses.

Hartford actually has some decent neighborhoods, but we rarely here about them here or in the media.

For example, one area I always liked is some of the side streets off of Franklin Ave next to the Wethersfield border. That would be a super convenient area with a lot of stores/amenities within walking distance. There's also a school there, not sure if its elementary or middle school though.
Absolutely right. Frog Hollow is one of the worst ghettoes in New England and definitely a standard east coast super ghetto right up there with North Philly and west Baltimore in terms of poverty and crime. TO say its not a ghetto is blasphemous.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:40 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Absolutely right. Frog Hollow is one of the worst ghettoes in New England and definitely a standard east coast super ghetto right up there with North Philly and west Baltimore in terms of poverty and crime. TO say its not a ghetto is blasphemous.
Except for the fact it's not at all one of the worst ghettos. If Frog Hollow is among the worst ghettos then you must consider every minority section of any city an outright war zone...

Which Hartford Neighborhoods See The Most Crime? - Hartford Courant

Pick your metric and the northeast end and upper albany lead the way in crime.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:24 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Except for the fact it's not at all one of the worst ghettos. If Frog Hollow is among the worst ghettos then you must consider every minority section of any city an outright war zone...

Which Hartford Neighborhoods See The Most Crime? - Hartford Courant

Pick your metric and the northeast end and upper albany lead the way in crime.
I have to agree Frog hollow isn't the best place but the northern section of Hartford is a lot sketchier. I handled insurance claims in Hartford for a few weeks at an old job when a coworker was out. Most of the neighborhoods where honestly not that bad. The only times I felt really nervous were a few claims near Enfield st north of Albany Ave that part of the city has real crime issues.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:20 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,753 times
Quote:

was hoping the Junkyard Goats would come down to Harbor Yard and send the Bluefish up there, oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut