Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:02 AM

173 posts, read 352,155 times

Advertisements

Posters Hardware is one of the few remaining small hardware stores in the FF area, and it's located in one of the town's more racially and ethnically diverse areas, up on Black Rock Turnpike. Their key display is right next to the cash register, and the FIRST two key options appear to be hand-painted with confederate flags. After all that's happened in South Carolina and the acknowledgment that a Confederate flag is a nod to white supremacy and racism, I was stunned. Are they so determined to have this pro-slavery symbol that they commissioned someone to paint the keys? Why not just have Swastika keys made, too? I very respectfully asked to speak to the manager and expressed that if I were a person of color patronizing their store, seeing those keys would send a very clear message that I was not safe or wanted there, and I find the symbol humiliating. One of the kids behind the counter said "It's a symbol of Southern freedom, actually," and the older man said "I'll be sure to mention that to the manager." If anyone else feels that this is an unwelcome symbol in our community, I hope you'll say something. I'm also very much open to ideas of how else to publicize this information. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:51 AM

174 posts, read 172,807 times
You gave your unwelcome opinion and they replied with theirs. Agree to disagree and move on.

I'm neither for or against the flag. What I am against is the intolerance for other's opinions. You seem to display that, and proudly.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:56 AM

26 posts, read 32,677 times
Take it to the great debates forum. As if Posters Hardware is the only place in the state selling something with a confederate flag on it. Also last time I checked, black rock is really not that racially diverse.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:00 AM

173 posts, read 352,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedSage58 View Post
I'm neither for or against the flag. What I am against is the intolerance for other's opinions. You seem to display that, and proudly.
With all due respect and patience for ignorance, it is a fact that the Confederate flag is a pro-slavery symbol, not an opinion. That's what the South was fighting for - continued free labor in the form of African enslaved people.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
With all due respect and patience for ignorance, it is a fact that the Confederate flag is a pro-slavery symbol, not an opinion. That's what the South was fighting for - continued free labor in the form of African enslaved people.
It's not a fact, it's your opinion. Again, if you dislike what the employee responded with to what I'm assuming was a condescending lecture, don't shop there. But don't attempt to destroy their business by labeling them as racists. You should try to be a bit more tolerant of others.

Also, you just gave this business free advertising to anyone who searches Google. I suspect their sales may grow.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:16 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,712,782 times
I don't know I mean definitely the symbol has changed over the decades. However, the orginal Bar's and Stripes represented Southern pride and remembrance of the soldier's who lives were lost during Civil War (Confederates via the government were granted Veteran rights by the Government.) Really don't see a message of hate or a representation of slavery in the flag.

What many loose sight of is the Civil War wasn't a war about slavery. It into ally became muddled in during the war. However, was about government having a bigger reach than suppose to in individual and state affairs. Up to and for a short time some northern states still practiced slavery.

Now granted not for slavery believe living free is the way of life. Can't see people enslaving people to their own will.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
The Confederate flag is an extremely controverisial symbol the fact that is has been widely adopted by racists since the end of the Civil War means its display right now should be used with utmost discretion by decent people.

However, to say that the flag is definedly and without exception a nod to racism and slavery, unless you believe every last person who displays it and says they are not trying to send a racist message with it is a liar, then that is highly debatable.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:24 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,234,372 times
Was thinking the same thing -- don't shop there if you're offended by the keychain. There was a ridiculous story in the news a couple of weeks ago -- some genius actually called the POLICE on someone because he was selling confederate memorabilia at a flea market in Wallingford...

Old 08-02-2015, 10:27 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Was thinking the same thing -- don't shop there if you're offended by the keychain. There was a ridiculous story in the news a couple of weeks ago -- some genius actually called the POLICE on someone because he was selling confederate memorabilia at a flea market in Wallingford...

I heard about that! What's next, we can't buy something that offends someone? I'm offended by all those that are easily offended.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I heard about that! What's next, we can't buy something that offends someone? I'm offended by all those that are easily offended.
Same! It irks me when I see someone who supposedly embraces tolerance be so intolerant of what others believe. Their flag products are nothing more than that - a product. Clearly people are purchasing it, likely not out of love for the flag, but for protest against this "offensive" era we are experiencing as a nation.

Enough is enough. Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut