Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:35 AM

12 posts, read 66,319 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Norwalk in a month....I've been reading a lot about CT to be very sooo expensive. I get scared now.

Help me in understanding how much you should earn to leave well in there.

One more note: I'm single, so I don t have "family" costs.....

Thanks to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 04:36 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Connecticut is expensive in relationship to cheaper states like Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and to a less degree North Carolina and Texas- but is cheaper then most other states along the Boston to Washington Corridor. It is cheaper then California- lower then Seattle and Portland Oregon-price wise it is about the same as Chicago.

Fairfield county where Norwalk is located is the most expensive part of the state due to its commuter distance to NYC-though Norwalk will be less then the town of Fairfield, and the rest of Fairfield county, except for Stratford and Bridgeport.

Median home price in the Hartford area is about 250K- in most of Fairfield county around 440K. So Connecticut can be expensive for housing and services in its southwestern corner- while the rest of the state is 'average to less' when comparing to other regions in the northeastern corridor.

For 1 person a salary of at least 50,000 dollars a year would be needed in Norwalk.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:39 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Well, first off some things in your post are indeed relative. "Good" to some may be a cramped lifestyle to others.

50K for a single is about the minimum I would think would be "doable" for a single person in Norwalk. That's going to give you about $2800 net income for the month. A good (By my standards, and I'm not a snob but don't like to live in run down places either) 1 bedroom apartment is IMHO going to be about $1100 a month in SW CT.

That is going to leave you about $1700.00 per month for car payments, utilities, taxes (You still have to pay vehicle taxes and on a car new to a few years old expect $500-$700 per year), gas, food, phone, other utilities, entertainments, clothing, insurance, and of course at least 5% of net income to savings.

Putting about $200 a month away in savings, and paying your bills will leave not much if anything for long term investments at 50K a year.

If you plan on purchasing, you possibly can tighten your belt and make it on 50K but most likely not in SW CT.

HTH Good luck!

Old 01-29-2008, 12:36 PM

164 posts, read 783,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Connecticut is expensive in relationship to cheaper states like Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and to a less degree North Carolina and Texas- but is cheaper then most other states along the Boston to Washington Corridor. It is cheaper then California- lower then Seattle and Portland Oregon-price wise it is about the same as Chicago.
Using the CNN Money Cost of Living Calculator, it shows the following when compared to Hartford:

In Portland, OR, Housing is 3.4% less, Utilities are more than 11% less, Transportation is 1% less and Healthcare is 1.2% less.

In Seattle, WA, Housing is 1.5% more, Utilities are 21% less, Transportation is 1% less and Healthcare is 4.3% more.

In Chicago, Housing is 1.7% less, Utilities are 12.5% less, Transportation is .6% more, and Healthcare is 5% less.

Taking everything into account, Hartford is pricier than all three cities. Friends of mine who recently moved from Portland love Connecticut, but often note the high prices of things here. I compared those to the Hartford area, the OP is moving to the Stamford area which is about double the cost of Hartford.

Miki - Your best bet in Fairfield County would be the Stratford area or up into western New Haven County (Ansonia/Derby area). Reasonable prices for the county, but the commute to Norwalk can be a headache during the morning rush. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2000 View Post
Using the CNN Money Cost of Living Calculator, it shows the following when compared to Hartford:

In Portland, OR, Housing is 3.4% less, Utilities are more than 11% less, Transportation is 1% less and Healthcare is 1.2% less.

In Seattle, WA, Housing is 1.5% more, Utilities are 21% less, Transportation is 1% less and Healthcare is 4.3% more.

In Chicago, Housing is 1.7% less, Utilities are 12.5% less, Transportation is .6% more, and Healthcare is 5% less.

Taking everything into account, Hartford is pricier than all three cities. Friends of mine who recently moved from Portland love Connecticut, but often note the high prices of things here. I compared those to the Hartford area, the OP is moving to the Stamford area which is about double the cost of Hartford.

Miki - Your best bet in Fairfield County would be the Stratford area or up into western New Haven County (Ansonia/Derby area). Reasonable prices for the county, but the commute to Norwalk can be a headache during the morning rush. Good luck.

According to the NAR medium home prices for Portland Oregon 4th quarter of 2007 where 285K- Hartford CT 242K

I would take the CNN comparisons lightly

Seattle Washington-medium home price last quarter 2007 was 395K- much higher then Hartford- The CNN site is flawed.

Jad2000, not to be critical- check all information- and do not use CNN statistical information as the 'truth'. Cheers.
There are different metro regions of CT- if Seattle is a mere 1.5% more then Fairfield county- it says that Seattle is overpriced.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
According to the NAR medium home prices for Portland Oregon 4th quarter of 2007 where 285K- Hartford CT 242K

I would take the CNN comparisons lightly

Seattle Washington-medium home price last quarter 2007 was 395K- much higher then Hartford- The CNN site is flawed.
The site, while I also believe it isn't 100% accurate, still gives a general idea as to the cost of living in an area. It also looks at utilities which are much higher in Connecticut than most other places.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
The site, while I also believe it isn't 100% accurate, still gives a general idea as to the cost of living in an area. It also looks at utilities which are much higher in Connecticut than most other places.
Utilities are beans really
lets look at real life stats like housing prices

If Seattle is nearly as high as Fairfield county- that says something-not in Seattle's favor. In the Hartford area median home prices are nearly 150K below that of Seattle- that says something. Before we come up with stuff from CNN- which is way behind the curve in economics-lets look at real time stats- not something a few years old.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Utilities are beans really
lets look at real life stats like housing prices

If Seattle is nearly as high as Fairfield county- that says something-not in Seattle's favor. In the Hartford area median home prices are nearly 150K below that of Seattle- that says something. Before we come up with stuff from CNN- which is way behind the curve in economics-lets look at real time stats- not something a few years old.
Utilities are not beans, especially to people on a fixed income who live paycheck to paycheck - more and more people are beginning to fit this criteria. They are also not beans to renters. I'm not sure why you don't see Utilities as real life stats?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Utilities are not beans, especially to people on a fixed income who live paycheck to paycheck - more and more people are beginning to fit this criteria. They are also not beans to renters. I'm not sure why you don't see Utilities as real life stats?
I suggest you look again at the median home prices

they will be more important then a mere 50 bucks a month more for a light bill- then taking out an additional 100-150K for a mortgage.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:39 PM

94 posts, read 419,490 times
Are you renting an apartment? If you want to live in an apartment complex in Norwalk, I'd expect to pay at least $1500 per month. While you can certainly survive on $50,000/year in Norwalk, IMO, you need a lot more than that to live "well" there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut